Running

Options
I want to know what your results are for running and fitness/weight loss! I have found a new love for running that I just recently started in the last few months. Now I'm trying to be consistent. I want to know if anyone has lost weight and toned from running?

Replies

• lisamarielois
    lisamarielois Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started running at the beginning of the year and have lost 15lb since mid April when I started on MFP. Currently doing a 5km, 10km and an 11km weekly and am doing my first half marathon in March. Definitely feeling fitter and slimmer.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Lost 50 lbs when I started running, now I run because I enjoy racing. I have since added other workouts into my routine to tone and build muscle and strength.
  • U2Bad1
    U2Bad1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Running is fantastic for weight loss. As always, still need to be careful not to eat back your calories burned though. Proper diet is critical to weight loss.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    thank you so much...yes I have totally revamped my eating and it's a "lifestyle" change. I do not usually eat my calories burned back as I want to have the deficit only to know at times it "may" be needed if I feel low of energy. I know I run slow compared to most. I usually run at 3.8mph I have topped at 4.0mph but seem to want to slow back down. I feel If I stay about 3.5/3.8 I can last longer distance. I actually ran 1 entire mile without stopping, I was SO excited to accomplish that, since 3 years ago I could hardly last 30 seconds.

Congrats on running your first mile! Getting through that first one without stopping is the biggest hurdle. The more you run, the easier and faster you will become.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Last January I started training for a half marathon. By mid February I had not lost any weight at all. Realizing that I needed to drop the weight if I wanted to have any chance at enjoying my race, I decided to start watching my diet. It was only then that I started losing.

Now that I am back into running as a sport I find that I can eat like there's no tomorrow and maintain my weight (sometimes I even struggle to maintain it). But as soon as I stop training hard, the weight starts to creep. It truly is all about diet.

Bottom line is running allows you to eat more than you would without it. Just be careful to monitor you diet to match your activity level.

Good luck.
  • dewd2
    Options
    BTW - Check out a program called Couch to 5K for a great structured way to increase you distance.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    BTW - Check out a program called Couch to 5K for a great structured way to increase you distance.

Thank you! Yes I've already started C25k and had completed 5 weeks then quit for about a month so now I'm back at the 5 week mark!

I love it and hope to increase my endurance and be able to run a 5K next year!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I know several people from another (running) forum who have lost 100 pounds or more with running. I lost weight first, then started running. The exercise has kept my weight mostly stable, except when I got injured. I've been running for about 5 years now and my weight is the same as it was when I started running (131). I do a few races each year (a marathon and a couple of half marathons) and run 30-40 mpw.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    But as soon as I stop training hard, the weight starts to creep. It truly is all about diet.

I'm not sure I agree 100 % with your conclusion here.
  • dewd2
    Options
    But as soon as I stop training hard, the weight starts to creep. It truly is all about diet.

I should say stop training hard and keep eating the same. Half a pizza after running 18 miles is very different than half a pizza after 3 miles. :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I do.

Running can help with weight loss but if you are running a 5k 3x a week like me and eating at a deficit sure you lose weight...but that is not from the running...running is for cardio health.

I say this with confidence because when I run a 5k 3x a week and eat lots I maintain or gain...it's like the saying goes "you can't outrun excess food" you just can't....

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I want to know what your results are for running and fitness/weight loss! I have found a new love for running that I just recently started in the last few months. Now I'm trying to be consistent. I want to know if anyone has lost weight and toned from running?

To answer your question..no you don't lose from running that is your calorie deficit and no you don't get "toned" form running...that comes from strength training.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while running and I lost weight while not running. All exercise is good for u out gorgeous many reasons. There's nothing magical about running. Do what u out enjoy.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I gained weight training for my full marathon but that was expected as I understand it happens to some runners that have issues estimating calorie burns (I will say a HRM does not work for hilly runs and that's all I had to train with)
    But now I'm losing steadily again and running only a little during the week.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    thank you all it helps. I understand that just running alone won't make you lose weight it's your diet. Thanks so much!!
  • davepete57
    davepete57 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also discovered running earlier this year. So far with diet workouts and running I have lost 50 lbs. I run about 12 miles a week and I am in the best health I have ben in 20 years. Keep on going.