Maintaining Weight during the winter

2»

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    In the summer I usually do as much walking/jogging as I can, but in the winter I'm in the same boat. I don't pay for a gym so I walk at home, inside while doing cross training (mostly body weight training). I manage to burn a ton of calories daily doing it, and I walk from my kitchen to my farthest bedroom and back in between sets. Back and forth back and forth. Luckily I do it in the early mornings before my wife gets up, otherwise it drives her nuts lol. I work out for about 90 minutes every morning with this routine after spending 30 minutes on my elliptical as a warmup. So where there's a will, there's a way.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Can you get a secondhand treadmill? Or the Lesley Sansone DVDs will work too. I still try to get out every day, but like you my circulation is poor and when it drops below 30 I have to be really careful, so my walks are shorter. As soon as my fingers and toes start to hurt I head back in. I make up for it with indoor options. I'll even spend 10 minutes here and there marching in place and jumping jacks in front of the TV to get my steps up to where I want them! Just do the best you can. If you do gain a few lbs, you will lose it once you get back to your regular routine!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    We have a large dog, so I walk twice a day, regardless of the weather. It does get hard when it's really cold, and I also have issues with my hands. Down gloves help, but my hands still go numb. You might try wool gloves inside down mittens, or vice versa.

Can you get access to a treadmill? There are some very inexpensive gyms around, if you're willing to drive. Or as others have said, Leslie Sansom or other low impact aerobics dvds will get you moving.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    You don't have to do the DVD's. Youtube has lots of exercise videos.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Quote="spzjlb;38362504"]I really appreciate your sensitivity to cold. I live in beautiful Quebec City where we have snowy, long winters. I also have circulation problems, such that after coming in (even just after driving in winter) it is dangerous for me to use a knife to chop veggies because I can't really feel my fingers for an hour or so. Toes often, too, but that doesn't impede my function so much.
    - I find it's easy to get really good boots these days. I have a hard time finding gloves and mitts that are sufficiently warm. Please post if you have found a great brand...
    - I have woods near my home and find that walks in the shelter of trees are much more comfortable than out in the open. Maybe you have something similar.
    - You might try hot packs in your mitts or boots, provided you are able to sense if they are too hot. I haven't tried the reusable ones, yet.
    - Being out in the brisk winter air is incredibly wonderful, but I still dread going out each time. Once out, I am fine...it is like jumping in a pool. It takes me forever, but I love it once in the water. This resistance to going out in the cold was the impetus for me to start doing indoor workouts. As many above mentioned, there are heaps of free workouts for all types of fitness levels and physical capacities on the web. I have a nice home gym, but I still do a little something from Pop Sugar or Fitness Blender nearly every day. I have a few DVDs that I turn to - some are "vintage" but faves - it all keeps me moving. I think that you'll find that a shorter indoor workout that is more intense than your traditional walks will be very gratifying and easy to tailor to your abilities.
    Good luck! Happy winter.[/quote]

Thank you sorry for late reply. I had 2 brain tumors when i was little and chemo and radiation, I sometimes have no circulation on my hands or feet from it so they are sometimes really cold. I sometimes try to workout but have to be careful when I get hot because could cause me to have a seizure.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    In the summer I usually do as much walking/jogging as I can, but in the winter I'm in the same boat. I don't pay for a gym so I walk at home, inside while doing cross training (mostly body weight training). I manage to burn a ton of calories daily doing it, and I walk from my kitchen to my farthest bedroom and back in between sets. Back and forth back and forth. Luckily I do it in the early mornings before my wife gets up, otherwise it drives her nuts lol. I work out for about 90 minutes every morning with this routine after spending 30 minutes on my elliptical as a warmup. So where there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks its only when its really cold. If i could workout a lot more i would
  • deannasawyer
    deannasawyer Posts: 47 Member
    To be honest, I don't sweat it. I generally eat a bit more in the winter, and exercise a bit less. Even in the house I am frigid, so I'm certainly not going outside unless I need to tend the sheep or shovel. The spike in activity when spring and summer come around make up for it. Generally speaking I only gain 8-10lbs during the winter, and have lost it all by mid to late June. Though having something like a FitDesk might be helpful for you. You can use it in the house to help warm you up, and get some exercise in.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    To be honest, I don't sweat it. I generally eat a bit more in the winter, and exercise a bit less. Even in the house I am frigid, so I'm certainly not going outside unless I need to tend the sheep or shovel. The spike in activity when spring and summer come around make up for it. Generally speaking I only gain 8-10lbs during the winter, and have lost it all by mid to late June. Though having something like a FitDesk might be helpful for you. You can use it in the house to help warm you up, and get some exercise in.

Thank you