My daughter scoffed at...

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I can understand your daughter's concern. She loves you and would hate to see you frustrated or disappointed because the last few pounds are often stubborn and slow, especially with years since you would have lower calorie needs. It's not impossible, though, or even hard to achieve. Take her comment as a gesture of love, and then do your own thing aiming for any healthy number you like.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm sure she was only saying it because she didn't want you to be upset at how hard it might be. That being said, go for it!

I think it completely depends on what you want and how you feel when you get down to each weight. I got down to 155 and i had abs at 5'3. All the weight was on my legs and chest and I did a LOAD of lifting but i decided to not lose anymore as i was happy there. My goal was 120lbs. BMI would suggest i was overweight but i didn't care because i was healthy, strong and no longer obese =D

Your goal isn't unrealistic and it's not unhealthy. Keep aiming for it and you might be happy at a higher weight, or you might be happy at 125lbs =) it's all a mystery until you get there! =D Good luck, don't let her words get you down.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    That goal seems totally appropriate. Age has nothing to do with it. I will be 48 in March. I got down to 114 this past Spring. Now, maintaining at 118-120 lbs-I'm 5'2".
    Make your goal happen by being realistic. Don't do crash diets, set your deficit at a reasonable rate so you won't be starving and then end up binging. Do exercise you enjoy and do it consistently. Nutrition is key. Get enough protein so you don't lose muscle-you will look better when you reach goal.
    Prove your daughter wrong-you can do it!
  • ActiveLulo
    ActiveLulo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey that's my height and weight haha!!
    I agree with doing what feels good and looks right for you. I'd just keep in mind that once you get to a weight to maintain, consider changing/upping it a few pounds every like, 5-10 years past 50. My grandma was very young when she got sick and lost a lot of weight she couldn't afford to lose. On the other hand you may choose to lower it because of how your body changes or different activity levels, etc.
    All these 'older' folks doing well with their fitness plans gives me hope--I've been trying on and off for years and thought if I didn't get into it before college was done, it'd never happen. Thanks for sharing your stories.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It is totally possible. I've been at this since early January of this year. I've gone from 180 to 130-132. I've lost weight in the past but this time I was determined to not only lose it, but to not gain it back. My initial goal was 145 and that was so easy I kept going. I'd like to see 125 (I'm 5'4" as well) and will get serious about dropping that last 7 pounds right after the holidays. I just turned 63 and have not been this light for over 35 years. I owe my success to my determination to not fail and all the advise I've received on MFP from the many knowledgeable people who are willing to help.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Check out this success story. This woman is amazing and inspiring.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10488151/before-and-after-same-outfit/p2
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Oh man I couldn't think of any better motivation!

That's a totally reasonable goal, and you can really do it!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    my 125 lb goal weight.

I'm 5'4" 50 and I have 75 lbs to still lose. She seemed to indicate that my goal weight was way too low for me. It's in the middle of the bmi chart and I haven't weighed that since I was in my early 30s. She thinks at my age I would have trouble getting down that low and suggested I set it closer to the upper bmi her recommendation was 140.

If it matters my daughter is 5'5 approx 120 and a marathoner and does crossfit. She doesn't count calories just watches her weight with a 5 lb range.

Is she right is 125 an unrealistic goal for my age?

ETA - she wasn't mean about it just sincerely concerned that I have my expectations up too high.

I am also 5'4", am 42 years old and my goal is 125-145 lbs. I don't know if I will get to 125. That is about 34 more pounds for me. I can try.
    You can set whatever goal you want right now. It is going to take awhile to lose the weight no matter what. As you get closer you can judge for yourself if you want to stop at 140ish or not.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think if you figure out how to live healthy and happy the actual goal may change, or not but the way of living is great focus instead of specific number.

Why don't you try to calculate your calorie maintenance at your goal weight and try to stick to it for a month. Would you be happy with that level of intake long term? You probably will loose weight too

Heading in the right direction is more important than the specific numbers at the final destination in weight loss in my opinion. If you feel good in your skin, if you are happy with your exercise, energy, how you look, how you eat, if you wake up full of energy, if you find it easy and fun to live like this - you nailed it!
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    also, you can only loose pound at a time. Focusing on smaller goal as the first 5 pounds and having a very long term vision in mind of what is your life like can make the journey easier