Low Carb Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Ultimately I need to lose weight for right now then improve my overall fitness. What I right now overall is cereal and eggs.
    I'll definitely look at that link. I'm prepared for propaganda. I've found when dealing with special interest groups, prepare for the propaganda.

Can you clarify the bolded?

• LadyFlexible
    LadyFlexible Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That's actually really old. I'm 21 now. I started this when I turned 18 but forgot about the profile when I started college and every so often would try to restart. Now I'm trying to get serious because I'm planning on graduating with my associates of science before I join the navy.

^I eat a lot of breakfast food so it's really as it says. I eat a lot of other stuff like pb&js, deli sandwiches, Raisin Bran, omelettes, peanut butter and bananas, tea, water, canned peas or green beans, packaged salad bowls, slim fast.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That's actually really old. I'm 21 now. I started this when I turned 18 but forgot about the profile when I started college and every so often would try to restart. Now I'm trying to get serious because I'm planning on graduating with my associates of science before I join the navy.

^I eat a lot of breakfast food so it's really as it says. I eat a lot of other stuff like pb&js, deli sandwiches, Raisin Bran, omelettes, peanut butter and bananas, tea, water, canned peas or green beans, packaged salad bowls, slim fast.

Thanks for clarifying :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    IMO, a great start is to log what you are eating. Sounds like it might be pretty low protein, although hard to say without knowing amount. It is helpful to look at the current diet when trying to improve it.

Advice for what a healthy diet is (since that seems to be an interest of yours): https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/

Obesity is a major risk factor for diabetes (or pre-diabetes) so getting to/staying at a healthy weight is the best thing to do to avoid it. (Cats and dogs -- cats even more than dogs, as they are obligate carnivores -- should eat far fewer carbs than humans, and many pet foods are too high in carbs. Extremely healthy human diets are often high carb or at least not lower carb than the average American diet (which isn't really high carb, despite some of the claims you will hear). The average American diet isn't great, of course -- although many Americans eat very well -- but that's about food choice, not carb percentage, as the link to the Harvard site explains). Many of the things that most Americans fail to do but which are recommended (like eating more non-starchy vegetables, fruit, legumes) actually involve adding certain kinds of carbs, and other things I'd personally recommend (the .8g of protein per lb of healthy goal weight when losing weight) are carb neutral.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Obesity is a major risk factor for diabetes (or pre-diabetes) so getting to/staying at a healthy weight is the best thing to do to avoid it.
    I think it's time we start looking at this slightly differently ...

While it's generally true that "Obesity is a major risk factor for diabetes" it's much-more accurate to state that "an excess of visceral bodyfat is a major risk factor for diabetes".

There are more-and-more instances of healthy weight people being diagnosed with Type II diabetes, especially in developing countries. We're talking men with a BMI of 21 or 22 (considered healthy, not overweight and certainly NOT obese) but who actually have 30-35% bodyfat when they undergo a DEXA scan.

To consider ONLY those we classify as "obese" at-risk is missing a very large population who should be screened for this disease, and we need to rethink how we screen.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Obesity is best diagnosed based on BF%. BMI is just a rough way to predict if BF% is a problem (or okay or low) ideally in conjunction with other factors, and other than that is a good way to measure population (increasing BMI or the like). (21-22 BMI and 30-35% BF for a guy seems unlikely, though -- I'd be curious for some more information -- but certainly those body fat numbers for a man = obese.)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Going LCHF will help prevent T2D. If you don't eat a lot of carbs you will avoid
    large blood glucose swings. If your BG does not go high, you probably won't get a T2D diagnosis.

The group linked above is good for information on how to be successful with a LCHF diet. Those people for whom the diet worked well are still doing it. We tend to post in that group since there is not much support or acceptance of the LCHF diet on the main boards. But propaganda? I don't know. More like that is where you will find positive information, rather than info from people who did not do well on, or enjoy, the LCHF diet. What I mean to say is that that is where you'll find the success stories.
    rkg1966 wrote: »
    Obesity is a major risk factor for diabetes (or pre-diabetes) so getting to/staying at a healthy weight is the best thing to do to avoid it.
    I think it's time we start looking at this slightly differently ...

While it's generally true that "Obesity is a major risk factor for diabetes" it's much-more accurate to state that "an excess of visceral bodyfat is a major risk factor for diabetes".

There are more-and-more instances of healthy weight people being diagnosed with Type II diabetes, especially in developing countries. We're talking men with a BMI of 21 or 22 (considered healthy, not overweight and certainly NOT obese) but who actually have 30-35% bodyfat when they undergo a DEXA scan.

To consider ONLY those we classify as "obese" at-risk is missing a very large population who should be screened for this disease, and we need to rethink how we screen.

That's because it's genetic. Yes, we all know this.

I think the genetics link is stressed too much. I doubt there are many people in North America who do not have at least one relative with diabetes or insulin resistance.

I developed prediabetes at the upper range of a normal BMI, although I would not be surprised to learn i was one third body fat. I only have an aunt who developed diabetes in her late 60s. I was just turning 40 when I did.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Obesity is best diagnosed based on BF%. BMI is just a rough way to predict if BF% is a problem (or okay or low) ideally in conjunction with other factors, and other than that is a good way to measure population (increasing BMI or the like). (21-22 BMI and 30-35% BF for a guy seems unlikely, though -- I'd be curious for some more information -- but certainly those body fat numbers for a man = obese.)

You said that so much more pleasantly than I was thinking when I read it

21-22 BMI and 30-35% BF for a male is extraordinarily unlikely

While the two measurements aren't linked there is rough and predictable correlation between BF and BMI
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You said that so much more pleasantly than I was thinking when I read it

21-22 BMI and 30-35% BF for a male is extraordinarily unlikely

While the two measurements aren't linked there is rough and predictable correlation between BF and BMI
    Unfortunately it's not as unlikely as you two might think:

This is just one example. But we're finding it more in other populations as well. http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how-a-bmi-fallacy-convinced-the-world-that-diabetes-is-a-disease-of-excess

With over a billion people in India (with one of the FASTEST rising rates of diabetes in the world) having their health risks vastly under-estimated by (and their true bodyfat % simply not correlated with) BMI, we really need something more accurate.

Heck, at 6'2" with a 34" waist BMI says I'm overweight and nearly obese. We already know it's highly inaccurate screening tool for health risks for those with higher levels of muscle mass; now we're learning it's also highly inaccurate for other body types as well.