Needing will power

Options
HannahLDT
HannahLDT Posts: 31 Member
I just wondered if someone could tell me....I really enjoy using my fitness pal but I'm always finding myself, if I'm going out for example or eating at a friends house, thinking to myself 'oh well, I won't bother logging today because I won't know how many calories are in what.' Or I'll think 'I won't get time to log today so I won't bother.' I'm finding this happening a couple of times a week and as a result I'm not loosing! I am getting married in April and I really want to be as thin as I possibly can! Does anyone have any tips or advice about what they do when these situations come up. I must log every single day!! Getting worried about Christmas coming up as well!! Thanks guys xx

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Can you look up the restaurant's website prior to going out to eat and locate their nutrition information?

I pre-log everyday.

If I know in advance I am going out, I may not eat hardly anything knowing this is gonna take up most of calories for day? If I can look up the restaurants approx calories I can make a better judgement on what to eat.

Sometimes I might just eat my "maintenance calories" and for go the deficit in order to enjoy my meals with family and friends.

At friends houses, try to use some portion control methods to avoid over eating.

Some pre-planning can go a long way!

eta: are you exercising? You can exercise to eat more on these days too.
  • HannahLDT
    Options
    Oh that's a good idea, I didn't think about pre-logging. I will do that, thank you. I think I just need to learn to say no to the nibbles if I'm at friends and families. Do you ever not log at all? My problem is if I don't log I think well I've ruined it now for the week and go off it! Yes, I'm trying do at least a half hour walk everyday
  • RoxieDawn
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Han862014 wrote: »
    Oh that's a good idea, I didn't think about pre-logging. I will do that, thank you. I think I just need to learn to say no to the nibbles if I'm at friends and families. Do you ever not log at all? My problem is if I don't log I think well I've ruined it now for the week and go off it! Yes, I'm trying do at least a half hour walk everyday

I also get in trouble with the nibbles too.. I am doing that today with my holiday baking.. yikes

I have always logged, I did not use a food scale with my logging in the very beginning and struggled. Investing in this little device set my weight loss in motion.

Not logging cannot help you with adherence to your deficit. So this is going to take some time for you to adjust your day around logging and I hope you will weigh food too, but you need to stick to this method and do it everyday.. take a couple of weeks to get your self into a routine, sort of like brushing your teeth, per se. On the restaurant and friends eating, do the best you can. You can't carry a food scale around with you at all times, but you can get as close as you can.

I know you want the scale to move down in pounds, so trust the method. It works if you use the tools and stick to it.
  • HannahLDT
    Options
    I also thought maybe taking pictures of what I eat and drink to log later if I don't have time at the time. I guess it's better to go slightly over calories than not log at all
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Han862014 wrote: »
    I also thought maybe taking pictures of what I eat and drink to log later if I don't have time at the time. I guess it's better to go slightly over calories than not log at all

Well you have a great point.. Its better to always log even the bad days. I did and when going back it helped me see possibly why I did not lose weight that week or the next..

Try to find the ingredients in the food you eat as best you can and find as close to a match as you can. Perhaps when at a friends house ask her how she is preparing the food to give you an idea of what to log.

I think you will do well once you get the hang of it and congratulations on getting married. I know this is an exciting time for you.. I am always here in MFP (lol), every day if you ever need any help.. :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I almost always pre-log my meals. I usually know what I'm eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sometimes I have to go back and change it but it's not that difficult and it makes it easier than having to do it right when you eat. You can even go back and change quantities/etc.
  • raiderfan1967
    raiderfan1967 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with Roxie " I did not use a food scale with my logging in the very beginning and struggled. Investing in this little device set my weight loss in motion."
    I started at 300 lbs and have maintained 170-180 for about a year now and use my food scale for practically everything I eat. When people ask me for advice I tell them first thing they need to do is buy a food scale, it will be the best $20 you ever spent.
    Another thing I changed was when friends and family would want to go out I suggested they come over and I make them dinner. This allows me to control the nutrition of meal and serving sizes, no matter the calorie count in your restaurant meal there is a 90% chance you will eat 1-3 days worth of sodium in your one meal.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    2 words: food prep

• HannahLDT
    Options
    That's all amazing advice! Thank you so much. A good scale and pre-logging is the way forward! Thank you
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,505 Member
    Options
    power_will640.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Real Will power...

11906216_962612830446411_849723467_n.jpg