• TMK0214
    TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member
    rkg1966 wrote: »
    TMK0214 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Carbs are not bad. They will not make youfator stop you losing weight. When you are inon a low carb diet you carry a little less water than if you are eating carbs. That means when you transition into low carb, your weight drops by a few pounds, and when you go back to eating carbs, it goes back up again. That is not fat, it is water.. Eating carbs or not eating carbs will not affect your weight loss over time. The only thing which affects weight loss over time is how much you eat (calories).

You are in a very common quandary, you've been fed a lot of diet myths about "good" and "bad" foods, low carb eating being "healthy" eating and so on. All low carb is is a way to control your appetite and help you eat less. If you're getting full while undereating, low carb may not be for you. Carbs are a good source of energy and adding them back to your diet in moderation will help you meet your goals. Yes, your weight will spike temporarily as you take on more water, but if you stick to your calorie goal it will start to go down again.

You say you "know what works", but having to diet repeatedly to lose the same weight over and over means your method is not working. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Try a different approach this time. Eat "normally", but in moderation, accept it will take time to lose weight and concentrate on how you're going to eat to maintain your weight loss forever - not lose it quickly with extreme methods and then go back to your old habits and gain it back again.

I have tried eating "normal" and working out, it doesn't really do anything to my weight, I either gain or stay the same which is not what i am trying to do. And the reason I keep having to do this is not really because of this "low carb" thing, it's more me getting lazy and having stuff to do to where I don't feel like working out, and me having gained 70+ pounds during my pregnancy which I am now trying to lose. If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work, just looking to eat more calories that is all

A few more thoughts for consideration and I'm out. ;) When you were eating your "normal" food choices, were you scrupulously weighing & logging everything you ate? Do you know how to properly log grains & pasta (many don't)? Were you still using the 2300 calorie allowance, because frankly that sounds very high to me for anyone who isn't morbidly obese or very active? Could your activity level be set too high? How long did these experiments last? Because anything less than a month or two would not have been an accurate reflection or success/failure, and if you were adding workouts to your routine at the same time, they cause a water weight spike as your body retains water for muscle repair.

"If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work." Well, of course it will. Anyone could say that about any diet. But long term commitment to low-carb takes a special soul, IMO. And I'd hate to see you lose a bunch, grow weary of that way of eating, start over-indulging in "normal" foods, and then have to do this again. Wish you the best! :)

No like I have said before, when I was eating "normal" I was not weighing my food, only eyeballing it and eating very very small portions. And when I was doing it my calorie goal was like 2000. And I used to always go over it by a little but still kept on losing weight, I was on the diet for about 6 months. And my calories are actually set to 2900 right now because of my height and weight. And I have my activity level set to "active" because I go to the gym daily for about 2 hours. And thank you, I'm hoping I won't have to do it again either.

OK, this is really the last time, but I have to point this out. "I have my activity level set to active because I go to the gym daily." Your activity level is not meant to include exercise. Any calorie allowance you have received at this setting is woefully inflated.

And I just have to- you were eyeballing your portions and going over your calorie allowance and "still kept on losing weight", but you have asserted just the opposite several times. Please, OP- you can do this. But you need to educate yourself and take a balanced approach.

Either you read it wrong or I wrote it wrong... I was eyeballing my portions when I WASNT on a diet. Still kept gaining or It stayed the same.. And when I was on a diet last year till beginning of this year, I was eating more than my calorie goal and kept losing weight..

How were you tracking your calories when this physics-defying feat happened?

Because MFP calorie goals aren't always accurate.. smart *kitten*. I'm annoyed by some of these comments

Wow...and you want people to help you?!?

They're not helping anymore! I already got a few helpful comments and took the advice, all the "smart" comments aren't needed. How is questioning me in THAT way being helpful ? You know they're being sarcastic right.

I do but what you are saying is not making any sense so I can see where they are coming from and you are being insulting.

How am I not making any sense? My calories are too low I wanted to know a few tricks to get that number up without adding carbs. A few helpful tips I got were drink your calories and add butter, and I did that and it worked good. I only said that in the past, when MFP gave me a calorie goal, I used to be over it and managed to still lose weight.. that is all, don't see where that doesn't make any sense. Maybe the calories weren't accurate, who knows.

Um...eat more food?!? Like others have said...carbs aren't bad and they don't make you fat. Too many calories do.

I don't WANT to eat MORE food because I'm already full with those 900 calories of food like I've stated before, I'm trying to stop the habit of eating after I'm already full, so that's really bad advice, if I want to do low carb and it works for me and you're willing to give me advice please do so. But like someone on here already said, most people on here aren't into low carb anyways so they'll suggest anything BUT what you asked for. I understand carbs aren't bad. But obviously doing LOW carb works best for some people which is why a lot of people do it. Adding more oils, butter, drinks etc is what a few people have suggested and I'll stick with that.
  • TMK0214
    Carbs are not bad. They will not make youfator stop you losing weight. When you are inon a low carb diet you carry a little less water than if you are eating carbs. That means when you transition into low carb, your weight drops by a few pounds, and when you go back to eating carbs, it goes back up again. That is not fat, it is water.. Eating carbs or not eating carbs will not affect your weight loss over time. The only thing which affects weight loss over time is how much you eat (calories).

You are in a very common quandary, you've been fed a lot of diet myths about "good" and "bad" foods, low carb eating being "healthy" eating and so on. All low carb is is a way to control your appetite and help you eat less. If you're getting full while undereating, low carb may not be for you. Carbs are a good source of energy and adding them back to your diet in moderation will help you meet your goals. Yes, your weight will spike temporarily as you take on more water, but if you stick to your calorie goal it will start to go down again.

You say you "know what works", but having to diet repeatedly to lose the same weight over and over means your method is not working. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Try a different approach this time. Eat "normally", but in moderation, accept it will take time to lose weight and concentrate on how you're going to eat to maintain your weight loss forever - not lose it quickly with extreme methods and then go back to your old habits and gain it back again.

I have tried eating "normal" and working out, it doesn't really do anything to my weight, I either gain or stay the same which is not what i am trying to do. And the reason I keep having to do this is not really because of this "low carb" thing, it's more me getting lazy and having stuff to do to where I don't feel like working out, and me having gained 70+ pounds during my pregnancy which I am now trying to lose. If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work, just looking to eat more calories that is all

A few more thoughts for consideration and I'm out. ;) When you were eating your "normal" food choices, were you scrupulously weighing & logging everything you ate? Do you know how to properly log grains & pasta (many don't)? Were you still using the 2300 calorie allowance, because frankly that sounds very high to me for anyone who isn't morbidly obese or very active? Could your activity level be set too high? How long did these experiments last? Because anything less than a month or two would not have been an accurate reflection or success/failure, and if you were adding workouts to your routine at the same time, they cause a water weight spike as your body retains water for muscle repair.

"If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work." Well, of course it will. Anyone could say that about any diet. But long term commitment to low-carb takes a special soul, IMO. And I'd hate to see you lose a bunch, grow weary of that way of eating, start over-indulging in "normal" foods, and then have to do this again. Wish you the best! :)

No like I have said before, when I was eating "normal" I was not weighing my food, only eyeballing it and eating very very small portions. And when I was doing it my calorie goal was like 2000. And I used to always go over it by a little but still kept on losing weight, I was on the diet for about 6 months. And my calories are actually set to 2900 right now because of my height and weight. And I have my activity level set to "active" because I go to the gym daily for about 2 hours. And thank you, I'm hoping I won't have to do it again either.

OK, this is really the last time, but I have to point this out. "I have my activity level set to active because I go to the gym daily." Your activity level is not meant to include exercise. Any calorie allowance you have received at this setting is woefully inflated.

And I just have to- you were eyeballing your portions and going over your calorie allowance and "still kept on losing weight", but you have asserted just the opposite several times. Please, OP- you can do this. But you need to educate yourself and take a balanced approach.

Either you read it wrong or I wrote it wrong... I was eyeballing my portions when I WASNT on a diet. Still kept gaining or It stayed the same.. And when I was on a diet last year till beginning of this year, I was eating more than my calorie goal and kept losing weight..

Because MFP calorie goals aren't always accurate.. smart *kitten*. I'm annoyed by some of these comments

They're not helping anymore! I already got a few helpful comments and took the advice, all the "smart" comments aren't needed. How is questioning me in THAT way being helpful ? You know they're being sarcastic right.

You haven't actually answered any questions put to you that would get to the bottom of the issues you're having, give very brief half-information comments about your past experience without clarifying and seem to think you have this all sewn up.

If you don't want to take advice from people who've actually had success with weight loss, that's your prerogative.

Good luck to you.

I've literally answered every single questions which is the reason we even got this far. If I wouldn't have answered any questions I wouldn't have to explain myself when some people say "it doesn't make sense". I just wanted to know a few more ways to add some more calories to my diet without adding carbs etc. the fact some people don't like the fact I'm doing low carb, well that's on them. I've received some very helpful advice about adding calories. I wasn't looking for advice on "why you shouldn't do low carb". Or "don't do low carb eat normal". If low carb works best for me, then that's just what it is, and if some people didn't know how to help me when it comes to just adding calories, then they shouldn't have commented, it's not that serious.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    You are getting very defensive and yet you are providing vague answers and/or avoiding questions. You got some advice you wanted to hear but there is other good information that has been shared that you're ignoring.

Let's try to be more specific.

Have you calculated your TDEE? If so, what is it?
    How much weight are you trying to lose total?
    What rate of loss did you select?
    What calorie goal did MFP provide you?
    If you could lose weight while eating what you consider "normal" food, would you want that?
  • TMK0214
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You are getting very defensive and yet you are providing vague answers and/or avoiding questions. You got some advice you wanted to hear but there is other good information that has been shared that you're ignoring.

If you could lose weight while eating what you consider "normal" food, would you want that?

Im simply responding to some of the comments that are very unnecessary. Like saying "genius" and "physics defying" like come on now, who knows if my MFP calorie goal was right or wrong, I was only writing what had happened last time. But anyways, my TDEE is 3760, I'm trying to lose at least 100 pounds. I selected 2lbs a week. And MFP gave me 2900 calories at the beginning but now that I took off the setting "very active" since I was told that doesn't include exercise, It went down to 2300 calories.
  • TMK0214

Im simply responding to some of the comments that are very unnecessary. Like saying "genius" and "physics defying" like come on now, who knows if my MFP calorie goal was right or wrong, I was only writing what had happened last time. But anyways, my TDEE is 3760, I'm trying to lose at least 100 pounds. I selected 2lbs a week. And MFP gave me 2900 calories at the beginning but now that I took off the setting "very active" since I was told that doesn't include exercise, It went down to 2300 calories.

What people were responding to were your claims that if you ate "normal" foods, ie those with carbs, you gained weight. People (myself included) have been trying to make sure you understand that the basic energy balance of CICO means that if you eat less total calories than you burn, then you will lose weight, regardless of the types of foods, carbs or no carbs. It sounded like you said that if you ate your "diet foods" you could eat more than your TDEE and still lose, but eating any "normal" foods in a deficit caused you to gain. That's where the "physics defying" comments came in because that's simply not possible. Do you understand and agree?

Now back to the TDEE, that sounds REALLY high where did that number come from? If your TDEE was 3760 cals and you have only been eating 700 cals/day you are at a 3000 calorie deficit every single day and you'd be losing close to 1 lb/day. Even if it were possible, (and I frankly don't think your TDEE is that high I think it must be miscalculated somehow) it is certainly not sustainable.

I know you came in here looking for specific advice pertaining to eating more calories because you know the low intake isn't healthy, and that's good. But there is a lot of misinformation floating around, pseudoscience and woo and demonizing of certain foods and the people who have been responding are trying to make sure you understand the actual science and the big picture, not just looking at what you want to believe works best for you right now. Because so many of us have been there, we were convinced we had to do things a certain way or that our bodies were different or we couldn't lose if we ate certain things. Finally setting aside all those misconceptions and understanding the big picture is what finally enabled many to be able to establish long term success.

So I type in my age, weight, height etc and I tell you exactly what the website told me, and somehow once again it's miscalculated. Well if everything is just miscalculated just because people don't believe that the number is so high, i don't know what else to answer with. People ask me about calories I tell them what the goal says and it's "WRONG" well since different websites and MFP is wrong about my calorie goal, can someone please enlighten me about my calorie goal. But I understand that eating low carb isn't realistic for the rest of my life, I am doing this till I get the first 50 pounds or so off, and then I'm slowly going to introduce more healthy carbs into my life. Never will I go over 300g or so, but even 100-200 is enough once I hit a weight that I feel comfortable with.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

What people were responding to were your claims that if you ate "normal" foods, ie those with carbs, you gained weight. People (myself included) have been trying to make sure you understand that the basic energy balance of CICO means that if you eat less total calories than you burn, then you will lose weight, regardless of the types of foods, carbs or no carbs. It sounded like you said that if you ate your "diet foods" you could eat more than your TDEE and still lose, but eating any "normal" foods in a deficit caused you to gain. That's where the "physics defying" comments came in because that's simply not possible. Do you understand and agree?

Now back to the TDEE, that sounds REALLY high where did that number come from? If your TDEE was 3760 cals and you have only been eating 700 cals/day you are at a 3000 calorie deficit every single day and you'd be losing close to 1 lb/day. Even if it were possible, (and I frankly don't think your TDEE is that high I think it must be miscalculated somehow) it is certainly not sustainable.

I know you came in here looking for specific advice pertaining to eating more calories because you know the low intake isn't healthy, and that's good. But there is a lot of misinformation floating around, pseudoscience and woo and demonizing of certain foods and the people who have been responding are trying to make sure you understand the actual science and the big picture, not just looking at what you want to believe works best for you right now. Because so many of us have been there, we were convinced we had to do things a certain way or that our bodies were different or we couldn't lose if we ate certain things. Finally setting aside all those misconceptions and understanding the big picture is what finally enabled many to be able to establish long term success.

So I type in my age, weight, height etc and I tell you exactly what the website told me, and somehow once again it's miscalculated. Well if everything is just miscalculated just because people don't believe that the number is so high, i don't know what else to answer with. People ask me about calories I tell them what the goal says and it's "WRONG" well since different websites and MFP is wrong about my calorie goal, can someone please enlighten me about my calorie goal. But I understand that eating low carb isn't realistic for the rest of my life, I am doing this till I get the first 50 pounds or so off, and then I'm slowly going to introduce more healthy carbs into my life. Never will I go over 300g or so, but even 100-200 is enough once I hit a weight that I feel comfortable with.

What is your height and current weight? Perhaps we can help with your confusion.
  • WinoGelato

What website did you use? What are those stats? It's not a criticism of you, some sites inflate the calculations, some require a body fat estimate in order to provide accurate results, etc. it's just that a TDEE of 3,700 is REALLY high for a woman. Some people do have high TDEEs, I am one, I'm a petite older female and mine is 2200 but I know that not from the calculator but from actual results over a long period of time, so no, the calculators aren't infallible.

Your calorie goal isn't right or wrong.... it's just a number derived from information you put into MFP. But a lot of people overestimate or underestimate their activity level, they choose too aggressive of a target rate of loss, etc. it's not a criticism of you, people are just trying to help you find a reasonable goal that you can hit, that will give you good results, and that is sustainable for you.

Did you also mention previously that you work out 2 hours/day and that you have a young baby? How young? Are you nursing? All this information helps give a complete picture so people can give the most relevant advice for your situation.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

It's wrong for one thing because you're "double dipping". You listed yourself as being active for going to the gym.

That setting is for your general daily life activity. Do you have a job where you're on your feet all day? That's considered active.

Your gym activity is something you record separately as exercise, and if you've been recording workouts on top of giving yourself credit for having an "active" life, the software spit out a grossly inflated calorie estimate for you.
  • TMK0214

What is your height and current weight? Perhaps we can help with your confusion.

I'm 5'11 and 345 lbs. Trying to get back to my pre pregnancy weight which was 240-250lbs, and of course after I get down to 250, I'm aiming for 170lbs.
  • TMK0214

You haven't actually answered any questions put to you that would get to the bottom of the issues you're having, give very brief half-information comments about your past experience without clarifying and seem to think you have this all sewn up.

If you don't want to take advice from people who've actually had success with weight loss, that's your prerogative.

Good luck to you.

I've literally answered every single questions which is the reason we even got this far. If I wouldn't have answered any questions I wouldn't have to explain myself when some people say "it doesn't make sense". I just wanted to know a few more ways to add some more calories to my diet without adding carbs etc. the fact some people don't like the fact I'm doing low carb, well that's on them. I've received some very helpful advice about adding calories. I wasn't looking for advice on "why you shouldn't do low carb". Or "don't do low carb eat normal". If low carb works best for me, then that's just what it is, and if some people didn't know how to help me when it comes to just adding calories, then they shouldn't have commented, it's not that serious.

I asked you several direct questions.

You didn't answer any of them.

Regardless, you're in the honeymoon phase and this low caloric intake filling you up will pass.

I have no issue with you wanting to low carb. You thinking that "eating normally" meaning that eating carbs was causing you to gain weight showed that you don't have an understanding that it was the amount of calories you were eating, not the carbs, though.

That misconception is what people are trying to correct. If you can't see that, well...

As I said before, it's clear you think you understand everything and your posts speak to the fact you don't.

I wish you luck.

I understand that calories matter when you are trying to lose weight, I have been to many weight loss Programms, Dietician's, etc. and I've found out that when I'm trying to lose ALOT of weight, low carb works the best in the beginning. Once I get to where I want to be, or close to it, then I'll introduce "normal" foods again and things won't have to be so extreme. Because I do realize that eating 20g carbs or less is very unrealistic, at least if I'm trying to do it for the rest of my life. And I don't think that I understand/know everything, that's incorrect. Because if I did.. obviously I would've never been overweight. We all learn from things and get better at them, which is why I understand what people are trying to tell me, but fact is.. different things work for different ppl. We can't all do the same thing and expect the same results. Just because it worked for others, doesn't mean it'll work for me. I need to do low carb first, and then other things.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    If you're completely stuffed on 900 calories it means you're probably not logging correctly.
  • TMK0214

It's wrong for one thing because you're "double dipping". You listed yourself as being active for going to the gym.

That setting is for your general daily life activity. Do you have a job where you're on your feet all day? That's considered active.

Your gym activity is something you record separately as exercise, and if you've been recording workouts on top of giving yourself credit for having an "active" life, the software spit out a grossly inflated calorie estimate for you.

I changed it already once somebody pointed that out. My calories are still over 2000. And yes I'm basically on my feet all day long, I work at a restaurant and after that I go to the gym. But I still changed the activity level to not very active.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

I'm 5'11 and 345 lbs. Trying to get back to my pre pregnancy weight which was 240-250lbs, and of course after I get down to 250, I'm aiming for 170lbs.

Your TDEE (from website below) is 2863 for sedentary, 3280 for lightly active, 3698 for moderately active.....no way you workout for 5 hours a week on 900 calories a day.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

So eating 1800 calories for 7 days a week (no exercise) gives you a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. That's a weekly weight loss of 2 pounds. That would be a healthy range for you.

Eat enough fuel for basic bodily function (BMR) and helps you sustain a diet long term. At 345 you have a long road ahead of you. 1800 gives you enough to have a treat every day. Learn healthy portions for your regular foods. That's how we learn how to maintain. Our diets while losing weight should have something in common with our diets while maintaining.

900 calories is going to get old really quickly. People that eat this low regularly have help from medical professionals (vitamin shots, etc). I you aren't eating enough to fuel your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc (on a regular basis) you are asking for health problems.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    You mentioned watching your carbs. Are you eating low carb high fat? I started doing LCHF in january and because i was not hungry sometimes i would not eat and initially lost weight the bang it stopped thats when i discovered i was eating 800 to 1000 cals. Then i started trying to eat more and the weight started coming off again.
  • WinoGelato

I changed it already once somebody pointed that out. My calories are still over 2000. And yes I'm basically on my feet all day long, I work at a restaurant and after that I go to the gym. But I still changed the activity level to not very active.

Yes, if you work in a restaurant your activity should be lightly active to active, assuming this is full time. If you go to the gym, you should log that exercise and eat back a portion of those calories. You should reasonably aim to lose 2 lbs/week and it may come off a bit quicker in the beginning as you have a lot to lose and are doing low carb which tends to have a bigger initial "whoosh" of water weight but it should settle in to 2 lbs/wk after a few weeks. You got advice about calorie dense foods to add (nuts are another good one for LC eaters) to help you hit that goal. Make sure you keep logging accurately and using that food scale.

You're also a new mother (not sure if this is your first or not) so make sure you are getting plenty of sleep and staying hydrated especially if you are nursing (which I asked earlier and you haven't answered).
  • TMK0214
    TeaBea wrote: »

Your TDEE (from website below) is 2863 for sedentary, 3280 for lightly active, 3698 for moderately active.....no way you workout for 5 hours a week on 900 calories a day.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

So eating 1800 calories for 7 days a week (no exercise) gives you a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. That's a weekly weight loss of 2 pounds. That would be a healthy range for you.

Eat enough fuel for basic bodily function (BMR) and helps you sustain a diet long term. At 345 you have a long road ahead of you. 1800 gives you enough to have a treat every day. Learn healthy portions for your regular foods. That's how we learn how to maintain. Our diets while losing weight should have something in common with our diets while maintaining.

900 calories is going to get old really quickly. People that eat this low regularly have help from medical professionals (vitamin shots, etc). I you aren't eating enough to fuel your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc (on a regular basis) you are asking for health problems.

I go to the gym every day for about 1-3 hours depending on how much time I have because I still have my child at home, and last week I lost 9 pounds in 2 days which I know was probably water weight, either way I know 900 calories will get old, I'm NOT trying to eat only 900 calories that's why I asked for help with bringing them up, because like I've stated before.. I know that it is unhealthy especially for my body type. I want to keep it between 1200-1500
  • TMK0214

Yes, if you work in a restaurant your activity should be lightly active to active, assuming this is full time. If you go to the gym, you should log that exercise and eat back a portion of those calories. You should reasonably aim to lose 2 lbs/week and it may come off a bit quicker in the beginning as you have a lot to lose and are doing low carb which tends to have a bigger initial "whoosh" of water weight but it should settle in to 2 lbs/wk after a few weeks. You got advice about calorie dense foods to add (nuts are another good one for LC eaters) to help you hit that goal. Make sure you keep logging accurately and using that food scale.

You're also a new mother (not sure if this is your first or not) so make sure you are getting plenty of sleep and staying hydrated especially if you are nursing (which I asked earlier and you haven't answered).

I haven't been logging my exercise because I didn't want my calories to go up, but I'll start doing that. But yes this is my first and I didn't see the question about nursing, no he's 2 years old and I stopped last year.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Okay, then your activity setting should be at least lightly active.

The thing is that you simply must get a handle on this undereating or you're going to hit a wall with your energy plummeting. You can't continue to expend this much energy on such a low intake.