Very low calories

Options

Replies

• TMK0214
    TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. They will not make youfator stop you losing weight. When you are inon a low carb diet you carry a little less water than if you are eating carbs. That means when you transition into low carb, your weight drops by a few pounds, and when you go back to eating carbs, it goes back up again. That is not fat, it is water.. Eating carbs or not eating carbs will not affect your weight loss over time. The only thing which affects weight loss over time is how much you eat (calories).

You are in a very common quandary, you've been fed a lot of diet myths about "good" and "bad" foods, low carb eating being "healthy" eating and so on. All low carb is is a way to control your appetite and help you eat less. If you're getting full while undereating, low carb may not be for you. Carbs are a good source of energy and adding them back to your diet in moderation will help you meet your goals. Yes, your weight will spike temporarily as you take on more water, but if you stick to your calorie goal it will start to go down again.

You say you "know what works", but having to diet repeatedly to lose the same weight over and over means your method is not working. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Try a different approach this time. Eat "normally", but in moderation, accept it will take time to lose weight and concentrate on how you're going to eat to maintain your weight loss forever - not lose it quickly with extreme methods and then go back to your old habits and gain it back again.

I have tried eating "normal" and working out, it doesn't really do anything to my weight, I either gain or stay the same which is not what i am trying to do. And the reason I keep having to do this is not really because of this "low carb" thing, it's more me getting lazy and having stuff to do to where I don't feel like working out, and me having gained 70+ pounds during my pregnancy which I am now trying to lose. If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work, just looking to eat more calories that is all
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. They will not make youfator stop you losing weight. When you are inon a low carb diet you carry a little less water than if you are eating carbs. That means when you transition into low carb, your weight drops by a few pounds, and when you go back to eating carbs, it goes back up again. That is not fat, it is water.. Eating carbs or not eating carbs will not affect your weight loss over time. The only thing which affects weight loss over time is how much you eat (calories).

You are in a very common quandary, you've been fed a lot of diet myths about "good" and "bad" foods, low carb eating being "healthy" eating and so on. All low carb is is a way to control your appetite and help you eat less. If you're getting full while undereating, low carb may not be for you. Carbs are a good source of energy and adding them back to your diet in moderation will help you meet your goals. Yes, your weight will spike temporarily as you take on more water, but if you stick to your calorie goal it will start to go down again.

You say you "know what works", but having to diet repeatedly to lose the same weight over and over means your method is not working. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Try a different approach this time. Eat "normally", but in moderation, accept it will take time to lose weight and concentrate on how you're going to eat to maintain your weight loss forever - not lose it quickly with extreme methods and then go back to your old habits and gain it back again.

I have tried eating "normal" and working out, it doesn't really do anything to my weight, I either gain or stay the same which is not what i am trying to do. And the reason I keep having to do this is not really because of this "low carb" thing, it's more me getting lazy and having stuff to do to where I don't feel like working out, and me having gained 70+ pounds during my pregnancy which I am now trying to lose. If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work, just looking to eat more calories that is all

A few more thoughts for consideration and I'm out. ;) When you were eating your "normal" food choices, were you scrupulously weighing & logging everything you ate? Do you know how to properly log grains & pasta (many don't)? Were you still using the 2300 calorie allowance, because frankly that sounds very high to me for anyone who isn't morbidly obese or very active? Could your activity level be set too high? How long did these experiments last? Because anything less than a month or two would not have been an accurate reflection or success/failure, and if you were adding workouts to your routine at the same time, they cause a water weight spike as your body retains water for muscle repair.

"If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work." Well, of course it will. Anyone could say that about any diet. But long term commitment to low-carb takes a special soul, IMO. And I'd hate to see you lose a bunch, grow weary of that way of eating, start over-indulging in "normal" foods, and then have to do this again. Wish you the best! :)
  • TMK0214
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

A few more thoughts for consideration and I'm out. ;) When you were eating your "normal" food choices, were you scrupulously weighing & logging everything you ate? Do you know how to properly log grains & pasta (many don't)? Were you still using the 2300 calorie allowance, because frankly that sounds very high to me for anyone who isn't morbidly obese or very active? Could your activity level be set too high? How long did these experiments last? Because anything less than a month or two would not have been an accurate reflection or success/failure, and if you were adding workouts to your routine at the same time, they cause a water weight spike as your body retains water for muscle repair.

"If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work." Well, of course it will. Anyone could say that about any diet. But long term commitment to low-carb takes a special soul, IMO. And I'd hate to see you lose a bunch, grow weary of that way of eating, start over-indulging in "normal" foods, and then have to do this again. Wish you the best! :)

No like I have said before, when I was eating "normal" I was not weighing my food, only eyeballing it and eating very very small portions. And when I was doing it my calorie goal was like 2000. And I used to always go over it by a little but still kept on losing weight, I was on the diet for about 6 months. And my calories are actually set to 2900 right now because of my height and weight. And I have my activity level set to "active" because I go to the gym daily for about 2 hours. And thank you, I'm hoping I won't have to do it again either.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

No like I have said before, when I was eating "normal" I was not weighing my food, only eyeballing it and eating very very small portions. And when I was doing it my calorie goal was like 2000. And I used to always go over it by a little but still kept on losing weight, I was on the diet for about 6 months. And my calories are actually set to 2900 right now because of my height and weight. And I have my activity level set to "active" because I go to the gym daily for about 2 hours. And thank you, I'm hoping I won't have to do it again either.

OK, this is really the last time, but I have to point this out. "I have my activity level set to active because I go to the gym daily." Your activity level is not meant to include exercise. Any calorie allowance you have received at this setting is woefully inflated.

And I just have to- you were eyeballing your portions and going over your calorie allowance and "still kept on losing weight", but you have asserted just the opposite several times. Please, OP- you can do this. But you need to educate yourself and take a balanced approach.
  • TMK0214
    Options

OK, this is really the last time, but I have to point this out. "I have my activity level set to active because I go to the gym daily." Your activity level is not meant to include exercise. Any calorie allowance you have received at this setting is woefully inflated.

And I just have to- you were eyeballing your portions and going over your calorie allowance and "still kept on losing weight", but you have asserted just the opposite several times. Please, OP- you can do this. But you need to educate yourself and take a balanced approach.

Either you read it wrong or I wrote it wrong... I was eyeballing my portions when I WASNT on a diet. Still kept gaining or It stayed the same.. And when I was on a diet last year till beginning of this year, I was eating more than my calorie goal and kept losing weight..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Either you read it wrong or I wrote it wrong... I was eyeballing my portions when I WASNT on a diet. Still kept gaining or It stayed the same.. And when I was on a diet last year till beginning of this year, I was eating more than my calorie goal and kept losing weight..

I would like to know how you think you can eat above your calorie goal and still lose? That would be genius!

Probably just means the goal was too low.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Eating more than your deficit calorie goal but still eating under your TDEE would still lead to weight loss on your diet. It was the calorie total that caused you to lose, not the specific diet foods/low carb that causes the weight loss. You could eat the normal foods, weighing and logging them, have a total below your TDEE and also still lose weight...

Again, it is not the type of food that is giving you results, it is the amount.
  • TMK0214
    Options

I would like to know how you think you can eat above your calorie goal and still lose? That would be genius!

You do know your calorie goal isn't always accurate right? Oh ok.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

My intake and outtake is pretty accurate.
  • TMK0214
    Options

My intake and outtake is pretty accurate.

Doesn't mean everyones is. Every website says a different number. So for some people it takes a few tries to see what works for them and what doesn't.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    That is where accurate calorie counting is helpful.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    rkg1966 wrote: »
    rkg1966 wrote: »

How were you tracking your calories when this physics-defying feat happened?

Because MFP calorie goals aren't always accurate.. smart *kitten*. I'm annoyed by some of these comments

Wow...and you want people to help you?!?

They're not helping anymore! I already got a few helpful comments and took the advice, all the "smart" comments aren't needed. How is questioning me in THAT way being helpful ? You know they're being sarcastic right.

I do but what you are saying is not making any sense so I can see where they are coming from and you are being insulting.

How am I not making any sense? My calories are too low I wanted to know a few tricks to get that number up without adding carbs. A few helpful tips I got were drink your calories and add butter, and I did that and it worked good. I only said that in the past, when MFP gave me a calorie goal, I used to be over it and managed to still lose weight.. that is all, don't see where that doesn't make any sense. Maybe the calories weren't accurate, who knows.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    That is where accurate calorie counting is helpful.

Which is what I DO. Just wanted to add a few more calories into my diet. I'm currently losing weight so I have no other issues, just didn't feel right only eating 900 calories and then being full, so I was looking for ways to get a few more in..