Very low calories

Options

Replies

• TMK0214
    TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you are accurately weighing and logging and you are 100% positive that your calorie count is correct then I will tell you to add some calorie dense foods. Nuts of all kinds, nut butters, cheese, and the like are good for getting calories up. I also have times when getting my calories up feels like a struggle because I just don't feel hungry. Is your carb intake very low? I am assuming it may be since you mention sticking to vegetables and meat mostly. When my carb count goes low my appetite goes M.I.A. The only way for me to regain it is through liquid calories because food usually does not look remotely appealing during these times.

Yes I do low carb, but getting those calories from drinks sounds like a good idea!! Just need to get some drinks that aren't high in carbs. But yes every time I do low carb I have like no appetite after I get done eating.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    There's something called the dieters honeymoon period where in the very beginning along with the gungho attitude and excitement of losing weight, the appetite reuces greatly along with it, especially when they're eating low calorie, nutritious "dieting" foods.

It doesn't usually last and will eventually catch up with them in one way or another, in the form of lack of energy, hair loss, skin problems, binging etc

This. She started her diet *3* days ago. I'm sure she won't still have this problem in a month, though with the severe way she's eating, she probably won't last that long. :( Not trying to be negative, OP. Just hoping to encourage you to approach this in a more balanced way. What you cited as the way you normally eat sounds perfectly fine in the right portions. You will not gain weight eating those foods within your calorie allowance.

I mean I'm not trying to only eat 700 calories, everyone is on here acting like 700-900 is my GOAL!! Lol it is definitely not my goal!! I WANT to eat more. Just feel super full after my meals, I've done this diet plenty of times and never had a problem with my calories being this low, that's why I'm so confused how my calories could be this low even though I weigh everything and use olive oil etc.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    2300 calories is a LOT of food/calories. You really don't need to "diet". Just choose healthy foods. And if you're using a lot of oils, I have no idea how you're not getting closer to the 2300 calorie mark. Oil is SUPER calorie dense. Are you sure you're tracking your calories accurately?

I pretty much eat what I want now (as I'm on 1800 calorie maintenance) and that's quite a bit of food.

When I was on a 1200 calorie diet I easily met the 1200 calories and that's using usually absolutely no butter. Protein shake for breakfast -300-400 calories; 2 snacks through the day - 200-300 calories, lunch 150-200 calories (salad+protein and low cal dressing usually), dinner 300-400 calories (2 servings of chicken or other meat + a veggie and another side).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    TreyTnt9 wrote: »
    Why are you even dieting? Just eat normal food.

Easier said than done. When I eat normal I gain weight, even if it's just one-two meals a day. I have to watch my carbs.

What do you mean when you say "when I eat normal I gain weight". What does "normal" mean to you?

Normal to me means like maybe spaghetti with sauce for dinner, and like maybe eggs and bacon and toast for breakfast and rice with chicken for dinner. That makes me gain weight, sounds crazy but is true. I could eat only 2 meals a day both of them being noddles with veggies and I will gain weight because of the noodles. After struggling with my weight for so long I have now figured out what works and what doesn't.

are you weighing yourself after eating these things? if so thats normal. also weight fluctuates so your weight will go up and down hour to hour,day to day,etc
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    shaunte92 wrote: »
    It's difficult for me to believe that you can't eat more than 900 calories. Just try harder lol. It doesn't make sense that you could go from over eating, to severely under-eating and your body is never hungry at all? Also, there is a big difference between 900 and 2300 calories. Are you active? If not, that seems like a lot of calories for a woman who's trying to lose (granted, it depends on your size now)

Find out how much you should be eating, and log it at the beginning of the day or the night before (healthy carbs, peanuts, oil, protein, etc etc). Then you'll have no excuses as to why you can only eat 700-900 calories. I think it should be fairly easy to think of meals that are 400,500, or 600 calories.

I mean of course it's not "difficult" I have no problem going to McDonald's and eating a whole Big Mac meal that's 1000+ calories lol. My problem is that I'm prepping my meals, and i fill each and every box and after I get through eating I'm full. Yes I could keep eating but that's exactly what im trying to stop doing, eating after I'm already full. Im happy that my body is giving me the full signal. Eating after being full is what got me here. But yes im active i go to the gym every morning, I gained 80 pounds during my pregnancy which put me at 300+ pounds, which is why my calories are set so high.

What do you mean by you "fill each and every box?"
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    There's something called the dieters honeymoon period where in the very beginning along with the gungho attitude and excitement of losing weight, the appetite reuces greatly along with it, especially when they're eating low calorie, nutritious "dieting" foods.

It doesn't usually last and will eventually catch up with them in one way or another, in the form of lack of energy, hair loss, skin problems, binging etc

This. She started her diet *3* days ago. I'm sure she won't still have this problem in a month, though with the severe way she's eating, she probably won't last that long. :( Not trying to be negative, OP. Just hoping to encourage you to approach this in a more balanced way. What you cited as the way you normally eat sounds perfectly fine in the right portions. You will not gain weight eating those foods within your calorie allowance.

I mean I'm not trying to only eat 700 calories, everyone is on here acting like 700-900 is my GOAL!! Lol it is definitely not my goal!! I WANT to eat more. Just feel super full after my meals, I've done this diet plenty of times and never had a problem with my calories being this low, that's why I'm so confused how my calories could be this low even though I weigh everything and use olive oil etc.

I'm not saying you're deliberately eating that little. The lack of hunger is a beginner's "dieter's high" that won't last. But by insisting on very limited food choices that you consider healthy, you will get burned out down the road. Have some pasta & fast food, especially while you have the calories for it. You will have to limit those things soon enough when you have lost weight and your calorie allowance is reduced.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options

I'm not saying you're deliberately eating that little. The lack of hunger is a beginner's "dieter's high" that won't last. But by insisting on very limited food choices that you consider healthy, you will get burned out down the road. Have some pasta & fast food, especially while you have the calories for it. You will have to limit those things soon enough when you have lost weight and your calorie allowance is reduced.

Not always. I lose my appetite A LOT. I have been at this for over a year. Sometimes other factors are at play.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you are accurately weighing and logging and you are 100% positive that your calorie count is correct then I will tell you to add some calorie dense foods. Nuts of all kinds, nut butters, cheese, and the like are good for getting calories up. I also have times when getting my calories up feels like a struggle because I just don't feel hungry. Is your carb intake very low? I am assuming it may be since you mention sticking to vegetables and meat mostly. When my carb count goes low my appetite goes M.I.A. The only way for me to regain it is through liquid calories because food usually does not look remotely appealing during these times.

Yes I do low carb, but getting those calories from drinks sounds like a good idea!! Just need to get some drinks that aren't high in carbs. But yes every time I do low carb I have like no appetite after I get done eating.

Then that is likely it. How low are your carbs? It won't hurt to bring them up a bit at least 2-3 days of the week. But if it doesn't bother you then just ride it out until you feel hungry again. For me it comes in waves. I'll be with out an appetite for a while then it comes back again. I have gotten used to it. It really bothered me at first though. I felt like It just wasn't right if I wasn't hungry. For a liquid calorie boost I like low sodium tomato juice with a tablespoon of olive oil mixed in. That's good for about 170 calories and only 10 g of carbs.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    TreyTnt9 wrote: »
    Why are you even dieting? Just eat normal food.

Easier said than done. When I eat normal I gain weight, even if it's just one-two meals a day. I have to watch my carbs.

What do you mean when you say "when I eat normal I gain weight". What does "normal" mean to you?

Normal to me means like maybe spaghetti with sauce for dinner, and like maybe eggs and bacon and toast for breakfast and rice with chicken for dinner. That makes me gain weight, sounds crazy but is true. I could eat only 2 meals a day both of them being noddles with veggies and I will gain weight because of the noodles. After struggling with my weight for so long I have now figured out what works and what doesn't.

But did you count the calories when you were eating these foods?

Kind of, I read Labels etc but I wasn't weighing them, more like eyeballing, which I know isn't always accurate, but that's when I wasn't really on a diet, just eating regular meals in very very small portions.
  • TMK0214
    Options
    shaunte92 wrote: »
    It's difficult for me to believe that you can't eat more than 900 calories. Just try harder lol. It doesn't make sense that you could go from over eating, to severely under-eating and your body is never hungry at all? Also, there is a big difference between 900 and 2300 calories. Are you active? If not, that seems like a lot of calories for a woman who's trying to lose (granted, it depends on your size now)

Find out how much you should be eating, and log it at the beginning of the day or the night before (healthy carbs, peanuts, oil, protein, etc etc). Then you'll have no excuses as to why you can only eat 700-900 calories. I think it should be fairly easy to think of meals that are 400,500, or 600 calories.

I mean of course it's not "difficult" I have no problem going to McDonald's and eating a whole Big Mac meal that's 1000+ calories lol. My problem is that I'm prepping my meals, and i fill each and every box and after I get through eating I'm full. Yes I could keep eating but that's exactly what im trying to stop doing, eating after I'm already full. Im happy that my body is giving me the full signal. Eating after being full is what got me here. But yes im active i go to the gym every morning, I gained 80 pounds during my pregnancy which put me at 300+ pounds, which is why my calories are set so high.

What do you mean by you "fill each and every box?"

The meal prep trays are divided into 3 sections, so I meant section lol I apologize
  • TMK0214
    Options

Im just scared that if I start eating pasta and fast food again that my carb count will be too high and then I won't lose any weight. I have been down this road wayyy too many times, and I want this time to be the last time I have to go through this. I know eating healthy is a lifestyle change and it's unrealistic to not eat any bad food ever again, but I'm trying to stop myself from doing it this soon
  • TMK0214
    Options

Then that is likely it. How low are your carbs? It won't hurt to bring them up a bit at least 2-3 days of the week. But if it doesn't bother you then just ride it out until you feel hungry again. For me it comes in waves. I'll be with out an appetite for a while then it comes back again. I have gotten used to it. It really bothered me at first though. I felt like It just wasn't right if I wasn't hungry. For a liquid calorie boost I like low sodium tomato juice with a tablespoon of olive oil mixed in. That's good for about 170 calories and only 10 g of carbs.

Right now my carbs are 20g or less. If I go up by a little I don't really stress over it, but this is only till I lose like 20 pounds or so then I'm probably gonna set my carb limit to about 50g, the 700-900 doesn't bother me at all actually, everyone just keeps telling me how it is super unhealthy so that's why I felt the need to bring my calories up a little bit, it was just strange to me to see my calories being this low when that has only happened like once or twice in the past when I was dieting. But other than the fact that it might be unhealthy, it doesn't bother me since I feel really full. Just want to give my body what it needs, so if it needs more calories in order for me to lose weight and be healthy then of course I need to do it asap
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    How do I open my diary?

In the app: More / Settings / Diary Settings / Diary Sharing / Public

On your web browser: Home / Settings / Diary Settings / Scroll down to Diary Sharing and select Public

ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Right now my carbs are 20g or less. If I go up by a little I don't really stress over it, but this is only till I lose like 20 pounds or so then I'm probably gonna set my carb limit to about 50g, the 700-900 doesn't bother me at all actually, everyone just keeps telling me how it is super unhealthy so that's why I felt the need to bring my calories up a little bit, it was just strange to me to see my calories being this low when that has only happened like once or twice in the past when I was dieting. But other than the fact that it might be unhealthy, it doesn't bother me since I feel really full. Just want to give my body what it needs, so if it needs more calories in order for me to lose weight and be healthy then of course I need to do it asap

It's good that you are concerned enough to find ways to solve it. There is a low carb group I am in that may be of help to you. Here is the link of you are interested: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Out here in the main forums many people have a very low opinion of a low carb diet. I find it is what finally helped me get my appetite under control, also I sleep better when my carbs are in the 75 -100 g neighborhood. You'll smooth it all out eventually. Sometimes we just have to get a little creative!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Eat a couple of avocados and you'll reach your goal. Also carbs aren't bad to eat. If you're losing weight initially not eating them, then it's water loss. Reintroduction of carbs if one has been on a low carb diet will show a weight spike easily and can be as high as 10lbs.
    CICO is king and eating TOO LITTLE will lower your metabolic rate. So at rest (when you burn the most fat), you'll burn very little if the deficit is too high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Also carbs aren't bad to eat. If you're losing weight initially not eating them, then it's water loss. Reintroduction of carbs if one has been on a low carb diet will show a weight spike easily and can be as high as 10lbs.

This. It's the *reintroduction* of carbs that causes a weight spike, but it's not like regaining fat. The glycogen is back and glycogen holds water. But that's a one time deal. Anything you gain after that is fat (thus too many calories, not because those calories are from carbs).