Does Alli work for you?

Options
I did a lot of internet reading of medical/health websites and learned that out of all of the over the counter weight loss pills, Alli is the most effective.

I bought a bottle to share with my husband, it was $60 at Walmart (a bit pricey), and before I continue on this expensive trial, I would love to know how it's working out for others.

I do understand that it's not a fat burner, metabolism booster, or hunger suppressant. I know how it works, but want to hear how it's going for others aside from the clinical studies.

Replies

• Shajaira27
    Shajaira27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that we're lucky that it hasn't impacted our BM like that. Perhaps taking caution in not eating high fat foods is helping.

@RAinWA thanks for sharing the link. I didn't encounter any positive stories. I wonder if it's because people's side effects were so gruesome that they gave up early? But I appreciated the comment of the calculations of precentage of fat and it's calorie equivalence. It's not a significant amount to impact weight loss.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    You know thanks for mentioning this and it's side effects.

DW tried it years ago and while she didn't lose any weight, it helped IBS-C. Helps a bit of a stretch as well, as the results are, unpredictable!
    Now she takes Linsess and it's expensive.

Other than cr@pping yourself I don't see much use in it. If that's fun I'm sure there are cheaper ways to get the desired result.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    In summary, many people have found that the side effects can be distressing enough to not be worth the minimal difference that it makes. To avoid these side effects you must limit your fat intake. Dietary fat is needed for many reasons, including vitamin absorption (A, D, E, and K) along with hormone functioning and many other reasons. Best wishes for you.
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Alli is over-the-counter but does work. I have never tried it but I encountered it in my work as a chemist. The molecule has a very unusual piece to it, so it was interesting enough to read more about. There's real research supporting its use, and it's an actual FDA approved drug, not an herb or supplement sold at drug stores.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Please don't the only thing you need is a good preworkout, multivitamin vitamin, weight lifting, and cardio.
  • Ceeceeann
    Ceeceeann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Six years ago I lost 80 pounds. Then I tried it again the formula changed and it was like taking nothing.
  • ChasingChocolate
    ChasingChocolate Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shajaira27 wrote: »
    I have to admit that we're lucky that it hasn't impacted our BM like that. Perhaps taking caution in not eating high fat foods is helping.

@RAinWA thanks for sharing the link. I didn't encounter any positive stories. I wonder if it's because people's side effects were so gruesome that they gave up early? But I appreciated the comment of the calculations of precentage of fat and it's calorie equivalence. It's not a significant amount to impact weight loss.

So what's the point of taking it/spending your money on it?

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Back in the day I did use diet pills prescribed by a doctor.....speed I'm sure. But here I am, back again. A temporary prescription can't fix me (or the vast majority of people).

Same. I did a couple 30 day bouts with Adipex-P years ago and it was effing miraculous. Weight melted off me and I was so freaking productive it was hilarious. Definitely an amphetamine (I was young, once, I know how that feels). And yet here I are.