Why is weight loss so slow?

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    How much did you think you could/should lose in a month? I would kill to lose almost 10 lbs in a month.
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    How much did you think you could/should lose in a month? I would kill to lose almost 10 lbs in a month.

I hear others say 15 pounds.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2016

Unless they are around 300+ lbs, I'm pretty sure that 15 lbs in a month is not going to be mostly fat.

For most to lose that amount in a month would mean not eating enough to meet minimum nutrition needs. It's a 3.4 lb per week loss. That's a 12,124 calorie deficit a week. 1732 calories under maintenance a day.
  • rikkejanell2014
    I guess my hopes were high because i kicked off with a 30 day work out challenge where I have to workout everyday for an hour for 30 days. I did not work out at all and I drink soda and ate fast food every single ate before this so I thought the major change would be a shock to my system and make me lose tons of weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Unless they are around 300+ lbs, I'm pretty sure that 15 lbs in a month is not going to be mostly fat.

Great point. This is something that often gets overlooked. Can you lose 15lbs in a month? Sure. Should you? Not without risk to health, and at the cost of muscle mass and risking nutritional deficiencies. Unless you are significantly overweight, which is not the case here.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Well im excited to meet my goal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,438 Member
    I guess my hopes were high because i kicked off with a 30 day work out challenge where I have to workout everyday for an hour for 30 days. I did not work out at all and I drink soda and ate fast food every single ate before this so I thought the major change would be a shock to my system and make me lose tons of weight.

Working out for an hour a day every day isn't really all that much. If by "working out" you mean going for a 1-hour walk, that's only 200 calories. On a bicycle, that might amount to about 400 calories.

When I started losing weight, I didn't lose anything at all for 10 days, and then it started dropping off and after 5 weeks had passed, I had lost 5 kg (11 lbs). I knew that was quite quick and I kept it up for 16 weeks, but then I slowed my loss to something more reasonable ... about 0.6 kg/week (1.3 lbs/week).

And I aim to exercise a minimum of an hour a day every day ... and have done for about 2 years now. :)

• rikkejanell2014
    Machka9 wrote: »

Working out for an hour a day every day isn't really all that much. If by "working out" you mean going for a 1-hour walk, that's only 200 calories. On a bicycle, that might amount to about 400 calories.

When I started losing weight, I didn't lose anything at all for 10 days, and then it started dropping off and after 5 weeks had passed, I had lost 5 kg (11 lbs). I knew that was quite quick and I kept it up for 16 weeks, but then I slowed my loss to something more reasonable ... about 0.6 kg/week (1.3 lbs/week).

And I aim to exercise a minimum of an hour a day every day ... and have done for about 2 years now. :)

Whats your point about working out and only burning 200?
  • i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    billglitch wrote: »
    have you ever considered LCHF? I averaged nearly 4 pounds a week for the first 6 months and about 2.5 since then. That said...you are doing great

I'm surprised you posted this and no one pulled you up on it. I mention LCHF with good intentions and everyone jumps down my throat like I'm suggesting they drain blood to lose weight???

On another note, LCHF is a very good way to lose fat as well as improve other health markers. Worth considering.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Congrats on the good start , yes it does seem slow , then i look back . I have mfp set for 1.5 pound loss and im not perfect in my logging or eating . after 5 months it looks like i have averaged 1.75 pounds a week lost .. so right on schedule ,, still seems slow to me tho too . I know the closer i get to my goal im going to have to tighten up my logging and eating ..your doing good from what i can see keep it up

good luck
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Oh and it took me around 2-3 years to gain the weight, so taking that long to lose it is my comeuppance for putting on the weight in the first place! :tongue: It's also a good reminder to never, ever regain it, as i don't have the patience or motivation to do this all over again...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Oh and it took me around 2-3 years to gain the weight, so taking that long to lose it is my comeuppance for putting on the weight in the first place! :tongue: It's also a good reminder to never, ever regain it, as i don't have the patience or motivation to do this all over again...

I feel ya it took me 4 years to lose 45lbs and Im still trying to lose the last 24 lbs.took me more than a decade to gain it.The first year I lost 33 lbs but gained half back the beginning of the second year.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member

Not others on MFP!
  • SKristianM
    SKristianM Posts: 11 Member
    "Days the scale doesn't move" means nothing. You might have some tweaking to do with expectations and timescale. Bodyweight fluctuates up and down by multiple pounds depending on various factors that have nothing to do with your actual fat loss. You can see proper trends over weeks or months.

10lbs a month is a lot, that pace probably won't last for long, and if you set your expectations to that, you might risk getting discouraged when things eventually slow down.

In the last (almost a) year I've been on MFP, 65% of my total weight loss happened in the first half, 35% in the second.