Who lost lbs eating exercise calories that MFP gives?

Options

Replies

• sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back, but I also gave myself a cushion. I bumped myself up from 1200 calories to 1225 so it's a little easier to get my minimum without being too short on the days I don't exercise.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have used MFP (don't have an HRM yet) for almost 4 mths now and I have lost 22 lbs. out of the 32 lbs I want to lose. :)

that is very helpful and congrats to u!
  • fat2fab4life
    Options
    I don't own a HRM. I go by the machines at the gym and I always eat my exercise calories.

I've lost 60lbs.

wow, congrats to you!!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't own a HRM. I go by the machines at the gym and I always eat my exercise calories.

I've lost 60lbs.

wow, congrats to you!!!!

Thanks! :)
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    ME!!! :flowerforyou: But I did use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. And it differed from myFitnessPal on calories burned depending on the exercise, and the intensity. For weight training, Polar is always higher than myFitnessPal. For cardio, it is usually right on, or lower unless I am working out at a high intensity. I would highly recommend trusting your heart rate monitor OVER myFitnessPal.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I am curious to know who does NOT use a heart rate monitor, yet goes by MFP's exercise calories and eats them back and continues to lose weight? I have 2 heart rate monitors. I know that I am big but walking outside for 60 mins one says I burn 900 calories, mfp says I burn 400 and the other hrm does not take my weight into consideration says I only burn like 300... which one is correct? i want to just use mfp's numbers but I want to know if anyone has actually lost using their numbers. thanks!
    Do your HRM's have a chest strap? If you are using one with a strap and the data is input correctly for age, weight, etc. the HRM would be more likely to be accurate. The MFP workout cals aren't personalized with age, weight, m/f etc. It can often make a huge difference in some workouts.

Some the two may be similar, but might double check your monitor and see if it's set up correctly and give it another go. I have no idea of your details so unsure what to tell you on the accuracy of either one you've shared.:flowerforyou:
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have :flowerforyou:
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Good question. I was wondering the same thing yesterday too, I went out and bought a HRM which allows you to imput your weight, age and it has a chest strap. I figure it would probably be more accurate. I plan to use it later tonight for my work out and see the difference.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've followed MFP guidelines for calories, eating back calories, proportions of fat/protein/carbs, used MFP calories for exercise. I followed MFP exactly. It worked perfectly. I achieved my goal 4 days earlier than expected and have been doing great on maintenance. It really works. :heart:
  • paintergal73
    Options
    I have, but sometimes I wonder as well how it is possible to ride a bike...which ther is a lot of caosting involved burns double calories than walking a good speed the same amount of time. I don't kno how they know how you burn what. But i like food, so i normally eat the calories I exercise off.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I did for a couple months, then stalled and got an hrm. I still eat my exercise calories back.
  • fat2fab4life
    Options
    I am curious to know who does NOT use a heart rate monitor, yet goes by MFP's exercise calories and eats them back and continues to lose weight? I have 2 heart rate monitors. I know that I am big but walking outside for 60 mins one says I burn 900 calories, mfp says I burn 400 and the other hrm does not take my weight into consideration says I only burn like 300... which one is correct? i want to just use mfp's numbers but I want to know if anyone has actually lost using their numbers. thanks!
    Do your HRM's have a chest strap? If you are using one with a strap and the data is input correctly for age, weight, etc. the HRM would be more likely to be accurate. The MFP workout cals aren't personalized with age, weight, m/f etc. It can often make a huge difference in some workouts.

Some the two may be similar, but might double check your monitor and see if it's set up correctly and give it another go. I have no idea of your details so unsure what to tell you on the accuracy of either one you've shared.:flowerforyou:

yes, the one that gives me really high numbers has the chest strap, the one that gives me low numbers does not ask for my weight and does not have a chest strap... thanks for your help
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The MFP workout cals aren't personalized with age, weight, m/f etc. It can often make a huge difference in some workouts.

Just want to set the record straight... yes, they exercise calories here are personalized. Maybe not by age and height, but by weight. And my calorie burn has been dropping right along with my weight. It takes a lot longer to burn 500 calories than it used to! :smile:
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't have a heart rate monitor. I use MFP's calorie estimate and eat my exercise calories most of the time. Lost 25 lbs in 4 months. I have 20 more to go.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP numbers or whatever the cardio machine says - usually they are very close. Sometimes I will put in fewer minutes if the exercise wasn't as intense as usual (for example, a yoga class that is more restorative then active). I always eat most or all the exercise calories back and have had great results.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have, too I'm down almost 10 pounds using the MFP calculations and eating back my exercise calories. That's part of my motivation to exercise every day...more to eat! :laugh:

Me too -- the part about 'more to eat'... But I'm down 26.5 pounds in 2.5 months. I use MFP's numbers -- and yes, sometimes they seem high so I don't eat ALL the calories back... but I do eat them... and then I'm incredibly full... especially when I work out 3 miles in the morning. That's hard to eat when you're trying to eat healthy too... (otherwise I'd end up with a large chocolate shake and french fries) (not a good choice!) :laugh:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Me! I didn't get an HRM until I'd been on MFP a couple months...I lost about 20 lbs in the first two months. I've lost an additional 18 lbs in the last two months and I almost always eat my exercise calories...

I do find that now that I am in a healthy weight range and more fit, I burn less calories doing the same amount of exercise so I have to step it up in time and/or intensity to burn more calories ;)

Keep in mind that MFP sets you up with a deficit so you can technically lose weight WITHOUT exercise...if you don't eat your exercise calories back you may create a larger deficit, but it doesn't always work and it may not be healthy...lots and lots of posts about these topics, hope you have a chance to check them out.

Check out these links for more info:

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/index2.html

Good luck!
  • fat2fab4life
    Options
    Me! I didn't get an HRM until I'd been on MFP a couple months...I lost about 20 lbs in the first two months. I've lost an additional 18 lbs in the last two months and I almost always eat my exercise calories...

I do find that now that I am in a healthy weight range and more fit, I burn less calories doing the same amount of exercise so I have to step it up in time and/or intensity to burn more calories ;)

Keep in mind that MFP sets you up with a deficit so you can technically lose weight WITHOUT exercise...if you don't eat your exercise calories back you may create a larger deficit, but it doesn't always work and it may not be healthy...lots and lots of posts about these topics, hope you have a chance to check them out.

Check out these links for more info:

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/index2.html

Good luck!

u are very informational thank u sooooooo much!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost pounds.... but I've lost 18 kg, does that count?
    I don't have an HRM so I use either MFP estimates or Runkeeper numbers, whichever is lower.
    I aim to eat my net calorie goal each day, in reality sometimes I'm under, other days I'm over.
    Seems to work ok for me, and I don't have a spare $150 to spend on an HRM (everything is more expensive in Australia!)
  • fat2fab4life
    Options
    I haven't lost pounds.... but I've lost 18 kg, does that count?
    I don't have an HRM so I use either MFP estimates or Runkeeper numbers, whichever is lower.
    I aim to eat my net calorie goal each day, in reality sometimes I'm under, other days I'm over.
    Seems to work ok for me, and I don't have a spare $150 to spend on an HRM (everything is more expensive in Australia!)

Yes kg count. Congratulations on your loss!!!