300 club

Options
2»

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you limit your accumulation of earthly stuff to no more than 300 objects, you'll soon have more than 300 dollars with nothing to do. Those poor lonely dollars. Send them to me.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    To stay on topic, I think it would be great to be able to live a minimalistic lifestyle. But I like my things and I have a husband and child that like their things so the best I can hope to achieve is a minimal amount of clutter.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    To stay on topic, I think it would be great to be able to live a minimalistic lifestyle. But I like my things and I have a husband and child that like their things so the best I can hope to achieve is a minimal amount of clutter.

With a spouse and children, 300 probably isn't attainable.

900 maybe

But total of 300? Not so much....
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get down to under 300 items...hanging in my closet.

I have so many shirts, and yet I wake up and go "I have nothing to wear." I purge my closet twice a year, and I'm still left with so much crap. Argh.

With clothing one thing I find useful is that I throw away or giveaway a piece of clothing I no longer use in order to bring a new one in
  • Savagedistraction
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

900 maybe

When you count your 300 things you don't count things that belong to other people in your family or things that are shared just your own personal belongings
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    JoyMaillet wrote: »

900 maybe

When you count your 300 things you don't count things that belong to other people in your family or things that are shared just your own personal belongings

Oh... in that case, yeah; that is attainable.

Although...

My CD and Vinyl LP collection will take a real hit.
  • Savagedistraction
    Options

900 maybe

Although...

Minimalist lifestyle is not for everyone most people get attached to things the whole point of being a minimalist is to put your energy time and money into experiences and people as opposed to belongings
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    I am minimalist in the fact that, physically I only have 1 DVD; of a television show but that's only because it wasn't available digitally but I plan to own a lot digitally! I tried with just paying for Amazon Prime, Netflix & Hulu but they don't offer much, that appeals; to me! However I am a minimalist when it comes to price through, unless I am desperate to watch it, it has an only available until time or it's part of a collection & I got a great enough, price for the others (all 3 options were, only once each occurrences; thus far); I never pay regular price!
  • Motorsheen
    Options

900 maybe

Although...

Minimalist lifestyle is not for everyone most people get attached to things the whole point of being a minimalist is to put your energy time and money into experiences and people as opposed to belongings

True.

Also... there are those items that are owned yet rarely, if ever, used. There might actually be a measure of guilt in not utilizing an item.

i.e. I have four bikes but I really only ride one of them. Why can't I find the time to maintain and ride the other three?
    Maybe life would be better and less cluttered ( physically and mentally) with only one instead of four?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Since vinyl was brought up, here's a question: is listening to music at home an "experience"? If one finds vinyl more pleasing than a digital music library, is owning records an attachment to things or giving yourself access to an experience?
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Since vinyl was brought up, here's a question: is listening to music at home an "experience"? If one finds vinyl more pleasing than a digital music library, is owning records an attachment to things or giving yourself access to an experience?

Great question

Imho: vinyl sounds more musical than digital. It's also the thrill of the hunt for something scarce and amazing.
    I started collecting because it was great bonding with our son. Also, picking up a great LP that you might have owned as a teenager is kind of a blast from the past. ( the artwork and liner notes are cool too).
  • Savagedistraction
    Options

How people choose to assign their belongings varies according to taste and interests. I train boxing and BJJ. I don't own a TV or any items associated with having a tv, but I have two sets of boxing gloves, 4 pairs of hand wraps, 2 gi's and a several sets of rashguards. 8 items right there (10 if you count the gloves individually), that other people would not have. One of the points of belonging reduction to me is the ability to be mobile. To not be attached to a certain place or situation because my "stuff" is all there. It also frees up a lot of income if you have to really think about purchases. That money I want to use to travel more.
  • Savagedistraction
    Options
    Where do I begin.... I have 3000 ties alone :smiley:

Pack you entire house like you're moving. Cover all furniture with covers. As you actually need and use an item you unpack it. At the end of 30 days you sell or give away everything still packed.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options

Pack you entire house like you're moving. Cover all furniture with covers. As you actually need and use an item you unpack it. At the end of 30 days you sell or give away everything still packed.

My I just say, your eyes, skin and features do not look like your in your 40s. my dear... you are quite stunning
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Unpossible!
  • Savagedistraction
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »

My I just say, your eyes, skin and features do not look like your in your 40s. my dear... you are quite stunning

Thanks!! I missed the memo that states womennover 40 should look like crap.;)