Slippy hands when lifting

Options
I have very sweaty hands, and this is becoming a big problem at the gym. Working with free weights isn't so bad, but swinging kettlebells can be pretty dangerous when the handle is slipping around in your grip! I really don't want to have to wear gloves unless I have no choice - has anyone found anything else that works? I bought liquid chalk from Amazon, which supposedly stops your hands sweating too - I sweated it off in literally 30 seconds.

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Use a good old regular lifting chalk. When I lift @ the gym I actually use a chalk ball - you can throw it in a Ziploc and it's a lot less messy than just using a block of chalk (some gyms frown at the use of chalk because of it can be messy).
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    trudie_b wrote: »
    I have very sweaty hands, and this is becoming a big problem at the gym. Working with free weights isn't so bad, but swinging kettlebells can be pretty dangerous when the handle is slipping around in your grip! I really don't want to have to wear gloves unless I have no choice - has anyone found anything else that works? I bought liquid chalk from Amazon, which supposedly stops your hands sweating too - I sweated it off in literally 30 seconds.

Screw that. Get some gloves!

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A few options; reapply liquid chalk after each set, use normal chalk or use gloves.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Regarding the liquid chalk - are you letting it dry on your hands before lifting/swinging the kettlebells? You're supposed to let it dry, so it's similar to regular chalk. It usually takes about 20-30 seconds to dry. Also, you're only using a few drops, right?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I like to use regular chalk. You can buy it cheap at a mountain climbing store. It may be different in other places, but the same chalk used for lifting and mountain climbing is priced differently depending on the way it is marketed.

Sports Chek sells 'lifting chalk' for 15 dollars where I bought the same amount at an MEC (I think REI is the American equivalent) for $1.50 CAD.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Regarding the liquid chalk - are you letting it dry on your hands before lifting/swinging the kettlebells? You're supposed to let it dry, so it's similar to regular chalk. It usually takes about 20-30 seconds to dry. Also, you're only using a few drops, right?

Yeah, I did.
  • trudie_b
    Options

Screw that. Get some gloves!

I'd rather not, if I can help it. I love kettlebells, but I find the handles of the heavy ones are pretty chunky - I think an extra layer of padded glove would make it hard to get a good grip with my small girl hands!
  • trudie_b
    Options
    I like to use regular chalk.

I'll take a look.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It's best to hold a kb loosely, rather than with a death grip, because the power should be coming from your hips. There's even a kb swing variation where you release the kb at the top of the swing. Not sure I'm ready for that yet, but the point is made. I have learned to use a fairly loose grip.

Idea for a hack: Cut a piece of the rubberized textured shelf liner and wrap that around the handle. It won't slip and is very thin so shouldn't affect your grip as much as gloves do.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Lifting chalk for kettlebells? Why not just use a towel?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Look up rubber hand grips for lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • trudie_b
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Idea for a hack: Cut a piece of the rubberized textured shelf liner and wrap that around the handle. It won't slip and is very thin so shouldn't affect your grip as much as gloves do.

I really like that idea, thank you!!!!!
  • trudie_b
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Lifting chalk for kettlebells? Why not just use a towel?

What, through the handle? Never thought of that.

I don't worry so much on double hand swings, it's alternating single hand swings that feel a little more dangerous, when you're switching hands at the top of the swing and your hands are slippy, and that 35lb kettlebell is threatening to fly out and hit the bro on the other side of the gym...... :p But they are the most fun move to do, I don't want to stop.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Alternating single hand swings? Haven't done that one, must try! Sounds like fun.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Lifting chalk mah brotha! It be our saviour in material form
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    KB/gymnastic gloves! minimal form factor and relatively comfortable.

Otherwise, chalk every set.

I prefer the chalk after having tried both.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I use Liquid Grip for BB lifting. I recently used it for a KB workout and it felt awful! Like, blister-making awful. Def go with regular chalk over Liquid Grip. I only used a small amount & it was fully dry, too.
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I like to use regular chalk. You can buy it cheap at a mountain climbing store. It may be different in other places, but the same chalk used for lifting and mountain climbing is priced differently depending on the way it is marketed.

Sports Chek sells 'lifting chalk' for 15 dollars where I bought the same amount at an MEC (I think REI is the American equivalent) for $1.50 CAD.

There is a such thing as mountain climbing stores? I need to go outside more often.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

There is a such thing as mountain climbing stores? I need to go outside more often.

Maybe I called it the wrong thing? It's just the store that sells outdoor sporting goods such as mountain climbing harnesses, camping equipment, kayaks, etc. They don't sell basketballs and baseball bats so I didn't know calling it a sporting goods store would have been clear.

Anyways, that was a diversion...

Back to our regularly scheduled programming lol
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Maybe I called it the wrong thing? It's just the store that sells outdoor sporting goods such as mountain climbing harnesses, camping equipment, kayaks, etc. They don't sell basketballs and baseball bats so I didn't know calling it a sporting goods store would have been clear.

Anyways, that was a diversion...

Back to our regularly scheduled programming lol

Where I live there are no mountains, so all we have is Walmart and Check-Cashing stores.