I'm embarrassed to run...

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    So true, tri_bob.
    OP, at your weight I was so afraid of hurting myself. So I took it slow. Walking first.

I'm still not the cutest or the fastest runner out there. In fact I am so bad I get lots of encouragement from veteran runners. They assume I'm new, LOL.

I find the running community to be very supportive.

You might start by jogging laps in the pool. Lots of resistance and protection for your joints.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    I know a million people already said it but... seriously do not worry about what other people think! Every time I step out to run I feel like that (and I'm not overweight) but I just put my headphones in and ignore the feeling because I LOVE running. So even though my face is red, I'm sweaty and sometimes (okay often) I trip on my own feet or can't make it farther than a block and have to run past the same person sitting on their deck every lap I just blank it out and whisper along to my jams. Your run and passions are not about them, it's about you... and most people will do the opposite of laugh, they will feel like idiots that they aren't out there when you are. Anyone that judges you is not worth a second of your thought! But the key to tuning it out for me is the music, make a playlist that you just can't help but run to. Good luck!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Oh yeah and also, I own dogs and we travel for work so we go to parks all over the country... there are ALWAYS all sorts of people walking and running everywhere we have been too. You may feel since your new to it that people notice or care but it is so completely normal to see people of every shape and size walking and running and biking. I visit parks every day where people just walk around the same park for an hour, or they walk back and forth while on their phone trying to get there steps in, or are doing push-ups alone in a park etc. Not once have I even batted an eye at it because guess what, they might feel strange but there is someone in every city at every park doing the same exact thing! So don't every worry about being "the fat guy" as there is just no such thing, your just a person and we are all doing people stuff and the only one worried about it is you!
  • WickAndArtoo
    madxwolf wrote: »
    I'm 265lbs but I've always dreamed about being a runner. I need to get my weight significantly down for a surgery I'm having in about a year. I know running will be a huge help to weight loss but... I'm embarrassed to run while being over weight. I feel like people will laugh at me on the street for being "that fat guy running". Does anyone have advice on how I can get over my anxiety?

I'm super self conscious when I am running, all the time. Never when I am biking or doing anything else. Always just with running whether I run inside or outside. Sometimes I wear a hat, sometimes I wear sunglasses even if it's not super sunny (it's a security blanket thing I think). It might look crazy, but it works for me. The key is that you are doing something for you, and you should be proud of the fact that you have taken that step. I'm always hella embarrassed when I start, and then once I get going I am trying not to die, so my mind tends to focus on staying alive rather than being embarrassed. Couch to 5k is a great way to start because it's walking and jogging, so it can kind of get you started even though you feel weird.

I can't help you feel less weird, but I can tell you that we all feel pretty weird running, especially at first.

@odnadevotchka haha me too! And I always wear sunnies for the same reason!! My headphones and sunglasses keep me "hidden" from the world lol.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Use the C25K program - it's free and fantastic for anyone, regardless how heavy you are. Don't feel embarrassed, I thought the same in the beginning until I realised that I was out there, doing something about it, and there is nothing shameful about that. As the others here say, you're still outrunning everyone on the couch. And the other runners you'll meet will be happy for you, trust me. Nothing but positive vibes and encouragement :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I hate running and therefore don't do it unless it's as part of a sport. I have nothing but respect for people trying to better themselves physically or mentally and would never judge someone overweight running.
  • feetjustgo
    feetjustgo Posts: 36 Member
    A lot of good responses on here!

I specifically want to second walking regularly for a couple of weeks (carving out that time and making a habit of following a regular exercise schedule, plus easing your way into it) and then starting C25K--it's so important not to overdo it and I was never able to make running sustainable/even remotely enjoyable until I focused on slowing down and following a conservative program.

I was also self conscious and didn't really take up running until I moved to a mostly older residential neighborhood. So it may be worth scoping out a place (perhaps during your initial week or two of 30 minute walks?) where you feel like there will be less pressure/people observing. I'm not sure I would have been able to slow down enough/take the proper amount of walk breaks if I was running downtown and thinking about other people versus really focusing on myself and what was going on with my body.

Finally, the BEST motivator for me and the most valuable information about how to run comfortably came from the book Chi Running. I HIGHLY recommend it, even if you're like me and roll your eyes at a lot of the more metaphysical stuff. Rereading it always motivates me to get out there and it gives you the tools (basic technique) to run safely and enjoyably.

Despite being self conscious (some of us are just are), you seem super motivated. It's awesome that you want to take on running--something I always hated and found super intimidating but also really alluring for the exact same reasons--and you can totally do it. But you need to be smart about it and give yourself grace.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Go for it. Most people will think you're cool for running. Be mindful of your joints (the extra weight could potentially cause some damage). If that becomes an issue - (1) watch your gait. For me, my knees are perfectly happy either running or walking, but I absolutely cannot jog..so shorter running spurts with frequent walking breaks may be the better way to go rather than attempting a continual slow jog. (2) Make sure you are not 'heel striking' which can be hard on the shins and knees..wearing minimalist shoes for a while can train you out of this if it's a problem (those will hurt like a b*tch immediately on every heel strike so you learn not to do it). (3) Expect major soreness for at least a few weeks when first starting out and will mostly subside as your body gets used to it (but watch for knee pain or shin splints). (4) If it does turn out to be too much for your knees, cycling is good option to lose weight. If you join a cycling club, the rides will generally be very strenuous (especially if somewhere with hills) and burn more calories than a typical run.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Go for it. Most people will think you're cool for running. Be mindful of your joints (the extra weight could potentially cause some damage). If that becomes an issue - (1) watch your gait. For me, my knees are perfectly happy either running or walking, but I absolutely cannot jog..so shorter running spurts with frequent walking breaks may be the better way to go rather than attempting a continual slow jog. (2) Make sure you are not 'heel striking' which can be hard on the shins and knees..wearing minimalist shoes for a while can train you out of this if it's a problem (those will hurt like a b*tch immediately on every heel strike so you learn not to do it). (3) Expect major soreness for at least a few weeks when first starting out and will mostly subside as your body gets used to it (but watch for knee pain or shin splints). (4) If it does turn out to be too much for your knees, cycling is good option to lose weight. If you join a cycling club, the rides will generally be very strenuous (especially if somewhere with hills) and burn more calories than a typical run.

Perhaps the reason you have trouble 'jogging' is you are buying into the minimalist religion a little too much. Run naturally. Keep your stride short and everything will fall into place. Purposely changing anything else will create many more opportunities for injury (achillies injuries are a real *kitten*).
  • It might sound cliché but this is one of my favorite quotes by Eleanor Roosevelt “You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” Think about it really, How often do you look at someone and really give what they are doing some deep thought? You probably don't right? If I were to see a overweight person out running or jogging and really had to give it thought. I would think, Heck Yeah! Look at him go! My goal is to run as well, for now I am using my treadmill. My fear about running outside is tripping LOL I am not too graceful yet anyways. It looks like you got some really great advice from seasoned runners. Do be careful, take it at a pace that you will not injure yourself. I did too much too soon at my first try years back and ended up with hairline fractures. :'( Good luck to you! <3
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I'm 265lbs but I've always dreamed about being a runner. I need to get my weight significantly down for a surgery I'm having in about a year. I know running will be a huge help to weight loss but... I'm embarrassed to run while being over weight. I feel like people will laugh at me on the street for being "that fat guy running". Does anyone have advice on how I can get over my anxiety?

You have nothing to be embarrassed about! Get yourself some headphones/good tunes and get out there and be boss!

I think it's great you want to do this. Please don't let others (people you don't even know or will probably never see again) control you. Get out there and be a better you. :)

• rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    When I see someone running, skating, biking, or walking on the paths I like to use, I'm happy. I feel like I have a little community of people out there, and I look forward to seeing them, even though we'll never talk. I really don't care what exactly they're doing, how fast they're doing it, or how much they weigh.

I run at night because I'm oddly self-conscious about running. I used to be really, really bad at it (I forget to breathe) and I'm still not anything close to good...but I ride skateboards anywhere the terrain is suitable, any time. Including on multi-use trails. I never thought a thing about anyone else on the trail, unless they were in my way.

So, the only time you'll ever risk a negative comment from a regular person is if you're not being safe in traffic or if you get in someone's way somehow. There might be the occasional comment from dumb teenagers. Remember, those people have no idea how much they'll weigh when they grow up.

Headphones are a good idea, music helps you focus until you get to the point where you're not thinking at all and just moving. That is a great feeling and you feel like you can fly for a while after running. It may take a while, but if you keep at it you will eventually get there.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member

I can guarantee no one is laughing at you.

I was the fat woman running. I am still the fat woman running.

Ask yourself this: what do you think when you see someone running? Are you mocking them, or are your thoughts closer to something like a "good job" or "well done"? Most people feel the same way, and those who don't are generally decent enough to vocalize these thoughts. Runners will not judge you for getting out there and just doing it; those who don't run really have no right to critique you, so honestly fudge their opinion.

I would suggest using something like Couch to 5K (C25K), although I personally like Zombies 5K. It offers a really great structured program to build up to longer distances.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    I have to mention the couch to 5k programme. This is where I started and I highly recommend it. I would suggest, if you would feel more comfortable, do a walking programme first so you build up to being able to walk at a brisk pace for 30 mins, then move on to the ct5k programme where you add very short bursts of jogging at a very easy pace.

I love this programme because it kept me constantly amazed at what I could do. every week I would say there was no way I would be able to run for that many minutes, and every week I did it and was so proud of myself.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Oh my. Running is very dangerouse exercise for overweight people. It's very high impact move. It means that when u make impact of 260lb about the ground your knees recieve bump of 4X of this weight, in your case it 's more than 1000lb. Do u think your knees and back will be able to sustain this impuct for long? Ofcaurse u can start doing anything you want. But think about thousand of different types of moves, that make u to loose weight faster and without danger to your muscular-sceletone system. These are low impact exercises. Try to lift your leg 90 degrees and hold it at this level for 30 sec. What do u feel at the end? I believe your heart rate become more than 160 b/min, your musles burn, your abs get involved a lot, your base leg start burning too, your butt shakes and hurts, your spine muscles have great tension too. Sounds like you complete very intensive complex of exercises. At the same time u did not do even little impact on your bones and tendons, instead, you improved very much many group of muscles and ran good cardio session. Do it for 30 min and you will burn more cal then with slow jog, and your muscles will get body weight session, meaning that your fat will be burning even next 24 hrs.
    Please, do research on low impact exercises before get running and hurting your tendons. Repare tendons takes long time up to 9 months. You don't want to stay away from exercises for long 9 months to repare torn tendons.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Oh my. Running is very dangerouse exercise for overweight people. It's very high impact move. It means that when u make impact of 260lb about the ground your knees recieve bump of 4X of this weight, in your case it 's more than 1000lb. Do u think your knees and back will be able to sustain this impuct for long? Ofcaurse u can start doing anything you want. But think about thousand of different types of moves, that make u to loose weight faster and without danger to your muscular-sceletone system. These are low impact exercises. Try to lift your leg 90 degrees and hold it at this level for 30 sec. What do u feel at the end? I believe your heart rate become more than 160 b/min, your musles burn, your abs get involved a lot, your base leg start burning too, your butt shakes and hurts, your spine muscles have great tension too. Sounds like you complete very intensive complex of exercises. At the same time u did not do even little impact on your bones and tendons, instead, you improved very much many group of muscles and ran good cardio session. Do it for 30 min and you will burn more cal then with slow jog, and your muscles will get body weight session, meaning that your fat will be burning even next 24 hrs.
    Please, do research on low impact exercises before get running and hurting your tendons. Repare tendons takes long time up to 9 months. You don't want to stay away from exercises for long 9 months to repare torn tendons.

You're right, everyone should wrap themselves in cotton wool, sit in a darkened room and subject themselves to no stimuli whatsoever...

Or perhaps just take the advice of people who know what they're on about...
  • tamiluanna
    tamiluanna Posts: 7 Member
    One thing I love a out the running community is no one cares how fast or slow you are. Whether you big or small, everyone is welcome and encouraged.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    I started running a couch to 5K program when I was really overweight. The only comments i ever received from friends, family, and strangers were positive ones. If people thought any different they never said anything to me. Honestly, people usually spout negative crap about other people because of their own insecurities. Screw them! That's their own issue.