How does a virus lead to fat.

Options
I was doing a bit of morning reading and stumbled across this.

"The Mysterious Virus That Could Cause Obesity"

(Excerpted from The Secret Life of Fat: The Science Behind the Body's Least Understood Organ and What It Means for You by Sylvia Tara.W. W. Norton & Company)

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/mysterious-virus-cause-obesity/

Replies

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    100% what @rainbowbow said.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    As far as i'm concerned Stories like this along with the plethora of junk science we constantly see in the media doesn't do anything to further empower individuals to control their body weight. We don't need a hundred more studies with reasons why "it's not our fault" we need greater education on nutrition, basic biology, kinesiology, and more. Acknowledging the problem lies with our daily habits, routines, and choices is paramount in actually addressing the issue.

Skepticism and criticism is a must when it comes to health science. There are calculated dishonesties by those who sell remedies deliberately faked by unscrupulous scientists.

I whole heartedly disagree with you. We do need continued studies to understand our biology. To be so naive to believe otherwise is, quite frankly- sad. Spending money on Sciences to better understand human biological function is the optimific path.

Junk science Is an untested theory. While these assertions in this article/book are unquestionably unique, they are not untested. The results need to be examined to understand the results, a far cry from junk science.

Not everyone is looking for an excuse to walk away from a problem. Some seek understanding the root cause that might help a person to take the right road to successful results. I.e. Some alcoholics quit cold turkey, others need the help of a 12 step program.

It was an interesting read, I am going to pick up the book and my guess is that is exactly what this article was designed to do - sell a book.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    Wow, I got fat because of chickens. Who knew?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    "wired" - the online source of this article, won't let me look at it unless I disable my adblocker. That's not going to happen.

I have several health issues that I could use as excuses. It's still about eating the right amount of food.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My weight correlated wel with my development of chronic health problems. Inflammation = fatter, in me. I wouldn't be surprised if viruses can affect weight too.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,440 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Wow, I got fat because of chickens. Who knew?

Fried chicken???
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Please take this seriously. The SMAM-1 and Ad-36 viruses are not the only possible cause of obesity and probably not the cause of my obesity. Yet they are real and the science is clear.