Ultimate weight loss calculator & predictor

Options
Hello! A couple of years ago (my gosh that has gone fast!) I made a huge weight loss calculator that figured out everything from your current BMR to your predicted weight loss over a period of time. (Here’s the previous thread)

Recently I decided to spend some time working on it, and over the past couple of weeks I've improved the predictor, added some other features (macros etc) and made it look a bit nicer. It also works properly on mobile devices now! (Long overdue!)

When I first made it, lots of people from the mfp community were kind enough to help me test it for bugs, improve certain aspects and suggest additional features which was a huge help - I hope that you will check it out again and let me know what you think!

Here's the link http://www.weightloss-calculator.net/

I’d really love to hear if there’s anything that needs improving, any additional features you’d like to see and of course, if you come across any bugs!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    All I get is an add for Suboxone that I can't get past.
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That was very interesting! Crossing my fingers that it's accurate and that I will reach my goal weight on March 15!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The "extra" fields don't seem to do anything. I get the same results whether I fill them in or not.
  • 141622mfp
    141622mfp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Uh oh, that shouldn't happen. What device are you using?
  • 141622mfp
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    The "extra" fields don't seem to do anything. I get the same results whether I fill them in or not.

Hmm ok, that's odd. Are you filling in all of the optional fields or just some of them? Some of the calculations require more than one optional field in order to work, so if you're only filling in one or two of the optional fields, there may not be enough data to run the additional calculations.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    141622mfp wrote: »

Android
  • 141622mfp
    Options

Android

Thanks, I will check it out now. Sorry about that!
  • jamieparadis20
    jamieparadis20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Really interesting! One issue: at one point it told me that in order to lose weight I need to eat 17,799 calories per day...doesn't seem quite right haha.
  • 141622mfp
    Options
    Really interesting! One issue: at one point it told me that in order to lose weight I need to eat 17,799 calories per day...doesn't seem quite right haha.

Haha, yeah I would take that with a pinch of salt. Could you possibly have entered something incorrectly? It's a dumb calculator so if you accidentally put that you're 100 feet tall or something, you can get odd results like that. If you're certain you didn't, I will be eternally grateful if you can send me a screenshot so I can fix it!
  • 141622mfp
    Options

Android

I've had a look but haven't been able to recreate the problem, although I did tweak some of the layout which may help - if you have a moment, could you try again? If you still have the same problem I'd be really grateful for a screenshot to help me figure out what's happening! Unfortunately I have to have the ads on there to pay for my hosting etc, but I don't want people to get stuck on them!
  • jamieparadis20
    jamieparadis20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    lnbpluay5erf.png

Haha, yeah I would take that with a pinch of salt. Could you possibly have entered something incorrectly? It's a dumb calculator so if you accidentally put that you're 100 feet tall or something, you can get odd results like that. If you're certain you didn't, I will be eternally grateful if you can send me a screenshot so I can fix it!

In the middle section the very last line. I don't think I entered anything incorrectly because I just did it again and got the same results. Also none of the other results seemed skewed
  • 141622mfp
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @jamieparadis20
    It's because your finish date is in the past. But obviously I need to fix it so that you can't have a goal date in the past! You're a star, thanks so much for taking the time to send that.
  • TristansHawk
    TristansHawk Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This looks awesome! Well done :)
  • 141622mfp
    Options
    This looks awesome! Well done :)

Thank you so much!
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    all I get are links to the Mayo diet

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I like it. Thank you. The only thing that seem to be really off to me was the suggestion that my ideal weight is between 125 pounds and 169 pounds. The 169 would be pretty close but not the 125. It did seem to work quite well for me on iOS 10 and an iPhone 6 Plus.

Edit: Very nice job by the way. Much appreciated. :)

ljrepci4j3a3.png
    ht4rabyqy2ig.png
  • 141622mfp
    Options
  • 141622mfp
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I like it. Thank you. The only thing that seem to be really off to me was the suggestion that my ideal weight is between 125 pounds and 169 pounds. The 169 would be pretty close but not the 125. It did seem to work quite well for me on iOS 10 and an iPhone 6 Plus.

Edit: Very nice job by the way. Much appreciated. :)

Thanks!! Glad it's working ok on iphone :) The ideal weight range really is just based on the upper and lower limits for a BMI in the healthy range, but of course BMI isn't always the best measure, I've written a note to that effect on the important info page. Thanks so much for your feedback!
  • 141622mfp
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    all I get are links to the Mayo diet

Hmm ok, there are some adsense ads on there but you shouldn't be seeing only them - what device are you on? I'm trying very hard to make sure that it works for everyone but I'm pretty new at designing for mobile. (Programming isn't my day job, just a hobby.)

If you can add a screenshot I will do my best to figure out the problem and fix it :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I used my PC with no problems and the results look on target. I really hope it works out like the calculator predicts because getting down to the 120s would be so awesome. ;)
    icwxq4o5x6i3.png