Spirulina, Chlorella, Coconut oil, Cacao, Maca Root, Goji berries and Bee Pollen. Superfoods?

Options
2»

Replies

• Darton2010
    Darton2010 Posts: 137 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Darton2010 wrote: »
    And thanks for the replies, I just wanted to throw the definition of super food out.

A superfood can essentially be classified as any food item that contains an extremely dense concentration of vital nutrients, vitamins and/or minerals, as well as antioxidants, good fats, healthy enzymes, or other healthy properties that help to treat, lower the risk of or prevent specific diseases and maladies.

I'm mainly after foods that are dense Nutrients, Vitamins ext ext. I don't expect anything to be used as a medicine or be life changing, just adding to the diet. Please don't get hung up on the commercial term "Superfood"

If you're mainly after foods that are nutrient dense, just eat mostly whole foods...get in your servings of veg and fruit daily...eat whole grains, legumes, lentils, whole food starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes and other root vegetables...eat lean sourced protein and healthy fat...

You specifically picked foods that are included in this commercial list of "superfoods", so I don't know how it can't be in the discussion...but frankly, I wouldn't worry about whether or not a goji berry has slightly more antioxidants or something than some other berry that's not on the list...just eat a lot of whole foods.

I put them in the list because those are all stuff I have never tried or tasted before, there more "exotic" and not usually found in the grocery store. Before I specifically go on the hunt for them I decided to come here instead.

So far on the list the only one I have been convinced enough to buy is coconut oil, mainly for cooking, it just sounds like a way better oil than olive, mostly I cook in butter.

I guess what I'm after is something I can't get with local foods like blue berries, bananas, veggies ext ext. so far I'm not seeing any but haven't spent hours on the internet comparing them lol, I don't have time for that so I posted here and see what people thought of them.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hype! Eat all foods and you will be covered.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil on most days. I eat for ketosis and the MCTs in coconut oil help me achieve that.

I love cacao with nuts. Less sugar and a chocolaty treat.

Years ago I used to use bee pollen to sweeten my oatmeal.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    May want to have a look at this in regards to coconut oil. Rapeseed oil is cheaper, with just as many if not more health benefits.

05c3v90znutc.png
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Superfood us just a buzzword to market items.

That being said, I love coconut oil for both cooking and my beauty routine, and raw cacao nibs in my banana ice cream are my jam.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Wophie wrote: »
    May want to have a look at this in regards to coconut oil. Rapeseed oil is cheaper, with just as many if not more health benefits.

05c3v90znutc.png

It depends on your needs. Canola oil has K and E (I believe) but no MCT's. MCT's are great for ketosis and helpful in insulin resistance.

It sort of depends on if you believe that saturated fats are bad for you or not.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've tried them ALL, I went through a natural phase... The only two I stuck with are coconut oil and Bee pollen. I use coconut oil in my smoothies sometimes, and bee pollen completely eradicated my hay fever, no more sneezing fits and runny eyes and nose all day.

Maca tasted disgusting and i ended throwing it away, same with ACV, after a while i couldn't face drinking it anymore! It completely turned me off vinegar of any sort.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I prefer my bee pollen to stay with the bees.

i kind of miss bee pollen. it was pretty horrible, but also sort of fascinating. yeah, i was eating bee barf, but i'm nostalgic about the hope and expectations i had about it back in oh, 1985 or so.

bee pollen and vitamin e. ah, the good ol' simple days.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    And thanks for the replies, I just wanted to throw the definition of super food out.

A superfood can essentially be classified as any food item that contains an extremely dense concentration of vital nutrients, vitamins and/or minerals, as well as antioxidants, good fats, healthy enzymes, or other healthy properties that help to treat, lower the risk of or prevent specific diseases and maladies.

I'm mainly after foods that are dense Nutrients, Vitamins ext ext. I don't expect anything to be used as a medicine or be life changing, just adding to the diet. Please don't get hung up on the commercial term "Superfood"

If you're mainly after foods that are nutrient dense, just eat mostly whole foods...get in your servings of veg and fruit daily...eat whole grains, legumes, lentils, whole food starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes and other root vegetables...eat lean sourced protein and healthy fat...

You specifically picked foods that are included in this commercial list of "superfoods", so I don't know how it can't be in the discussion...but frankly, I wouldn't worry about whether or not a goji berry has slightly more antioxidants or something than some other berry that's not on the list...just eat a lot of whole foods.

I put them in the list because those are all stuff I have never tried or tasted before, there more "exotic" and not usually found in the grocery store. Before I specifically go on the hunt for them I decided to come here instead.

Coconut oil isn't exotic at all, and is at every grocery store I've been to. It's currently annoyingly faddish, but it's quite taste and IMO tastes better with some things than olive oil (which I use more often) or butter. I don't think it's more "nutrient dense" than other oils, but there's nothing wrong with it. I feel exactly the same on days when I use coconut oil as on days I solely use olive oil or butter -- none of them are such a major part of my calories that it should matter.

Haven't tried any of the other things (except I've had goji berries in a few things, not things I made at home). I really like ACV, but not for "medicinal" or nutrient purposes and haven't tried it with the mother. I eat tons of fermented things and yogurt, so don't feel compelled to seek out other things like that just because.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Let me know if any of this stuff is great or over rated. Have you had luck with any of it?

How do you incorporate it into your diet?

Just figured I would ask before I waste my money on over rated products. Thanks

John

Spirulina, Chlorella, Coconut oil, Cacao, Maca Root, Goji berries, Bee Pollen, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with "Mother"

I hesitate to respond to this post, since I'm sure there are many people much smarter than me who will jump in to disagree. :)

With that said, I typically take the following daily: Cod Liver Oil for Omega 3 to aid heart/brain health, and Spirulina /Chorella for chlorophyll to help maintain cell membranes (if memory serves me, I think chlorophyll helps cells maintain elasticity as we age).

In answer to your question: Do I feel a big difference from these? No. Do I think they are providing some health benefit? Yes, or I wouldn't buy them. ;)

I also include coconut oil and/or cacao occasionally, (cause I enjoy eating both) but I really rely on Epsom Salt baths to provide me with magnesium. I definitely feel relief in my leg muscles after a 15-20 minute Epsom Salt soak. I typically do this after my long runs on weekends.

Summary: My goal is to try to eat a high quality diet that and provides lots of energy, so I can continue to be very active as I age. (I'm 59). I don't believe the items I mentioned will provide any SUPERFOOD benefit to me in losing fat or gaining muscle. That is not my intent in taking them. I do believe that they can be helpful as part of my long term effort to eat a diet that provides me with the best health possible as I age.

An Omega 3 supplement akin to cod liver oil is something I've been considering. I've got some Kirkland Wild Salmon Oil that I want to try again. I keep thinking that I'll find ways to eat more fish but it just doesn't happen. The first time I had the Kirkland pills they didn't agree with me. I know that Lyle McDonald suggests taking fish oil, perhaps they are the source of all the gym crop dusting tales.

Spirulina caught my eye at one point but I thought I was covered with all the greens that I eat. I'm going to look at this again and perhaps buy some for those low vegetable days that happen on occasion.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Spirulina (spelling?) I have used for a few years now. My sister says it helps her to think more clearly? I've used it mostly as another greens supplement. I think it helps me with cravings of any sort. A probiotic does as well though.
    I pretty much only use coconut oil topically (but for Everything!)
    Chlorella I dropped. The spirulina was effective enough in my case without having to piggy back the two.
    Bee pollen I have heard of for allergies and didn't notice much difference using it as a supplement at all. Ended up throwing it out. In retrospect should have given it to my son for his allergies- but then it wasn't local.
    The apple cider vinegar I liked as a hot tea- hot water, lemon juice, cider and some honey. It made my skin look good it so does just the lemon juice in water- so I do that instead. Look up detox tea if you like.
    Green tea is a good one but you have to get a decent grade tea or capsules.
    I got cacao to try and ended up putting it in my protein shakes- all I can figure is a caffeine buzz some may get off of it? But I wasn't on it long enough to give a decent review.
    I like puttering around w this stuff and seeing if it works. I also have neurally mediated vascular issues, so some of these were recommended by others who had the same issues. Some of the supplements do well and some don't. Part of it is your personal body and your diet will affect how you respond to different things.
    Enjoy. Have fun. Don't spend to much!! ;)
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    examine.com is a really good resource to check out supplements. It's knowledge and research based - not based on trying to separate the naïve from their hard earned money.

No I don't take any of those listed.
    My (unsolicited) advice would be to concentrate on an overall healthy diet and not rely on hyped miracle supplements.

Well said...too many people are looking for "miracles" in a bottle when an overall healthy diet can do just fine for you.

Save your money on these "hyped" supplements and buy better organic foods.

Frank
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    "Organic"..... Speaking of hype.....
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

An Omega 3 supplement akin to cod liver oil is something I've been considering. I've got some Kirkland Wild Salmon Oil that I want to try again. I keep thinking that I'll find ways to eat more fish but it just doesn't happen. The first time I had the Kirkland pills they didn't agree with me. I know that Lyle McDonald suggests taking fish oil, perhaps they are the source of all the gym crop dusting tales.

Spirulina caught my eye at one point but I thought I was covered with all the greens that I eat. I'm going to look at this again and perhaps buy some for those low vegetable days that happen on occasion.[/quote]

I have found that Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil is very palatable. It comes with a choice of Lemon, Orange and Raspberry flavoring. The Lemon is my favorite. Reminds me of the taste of salmon w/Lemon. I actually enjoy the taste.

As far as Spirulina, I've tried both capsules and the powder. Currently I've been mixing the powder with low sodium veg juice or drinking it straight with water. When taken straight, it takes just as you'd guess: Like dark green algae, lol. Of course it goes very well in smoothies or mixed into other foods.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a really good moisturizer. I use it right out of the shower and my skin feels great. Other than that, hype.