• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I eat over a pound a day everyday am in awesome shape and very healthy
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    manther88 wrote: »
    I totally rely on hunting or raising the food i eat and everyone tells me red meat will make me fat.

I typically eat meat once a day and sometimes I don't eat it at all in a single day. Depends on my mood. I love meat but I don't eat much and when I eat it I don't eat more than 4 - 6 ounces lol.

I eat venison, chicken and rabbit mainly. Then I eat pork, turkey, beef and duck or goose once in a blue moon. Like I said I only consume 4-6 ounces of meat once a day or none at all lol. Is it going to hurt me? I eat healthy meat because I raise it and hunt it. :)

I want to do this one day. good job OP. Eat that red meat!
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with red meat
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Food is bad m'kay, so don't eat food.

Some if it was due to the higher cholesterol content and the mistaken belief that all cholesterol is bad, just like the mistaken belief that all fat is bad. The only one that is really bad are trans fats but even those won't kill you. If you eat a reasonably balanced diet you are fine and you can eat red meat as you wish.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    There is a difference on who eats red meat.

Usain Bolt eating red meat. Not a problem.

The cantor in Sunday mass with the cute voice and size 56 suit and pants like he ran the Phidoppedes run to Athens by the time he reaches his big Buick after mass. Him eating red meat. Big problem.

That's where red meat got the bad rap. Because the likes of Usain Bolt are a minority ;)

So because the cantor ate red meat, red meat is bad? He also drank water, breathed air, and probably ate eggs, wheat flour and other foods. I don't think that was it.

I think the bad rap came about because they fed red meat to rabbits a few decades ago, and discovered that it made their total cholesterol skyrocket. Apparently meat doesn't agree with rabbits.

Hmmm, usung their logic, since feeding plants to cats *kitten* them up royally, all plants are the devil.

Besides, I'd rather be a clawed and fanged murder machine, than a cotton swab with a pulse and pellet poops.

Eat all the meats!

LOL :D
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Red meat, e.g. beef, is higher in saturated fats and therefore it is recommended to limit consumption of it. Although mono- and poly-unsaturated fats are now considered healthy, saturated fats should still be limited. In the US, beef cattle are regularly fed antibiotics which is leading to resistant bacteria. Also, beef is one of the worst foods for the planet. It takes a lot of water, feed, land, energy, etc. to create a pound of beef. All that being said, we had a rib roast over the holidays and beef remains a treat on our menu.

Here's a good page comparing red meat to other protein sources: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Big Chicken came out against red meat in the early 80s and it is still recovering from the media onslaught.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Big Chicken came out against red meat in the early 80s and it is still recovering from the media onslaught.

gt259mh0y3jl.jpg
    emc.jpg 27.4K
  • manther88
    manther88 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Venison is lower in saturated fat than beef so is a good option for eating red meat. Moderation is the key, as with anything you consume. I prefer elk for it's better flavor.

Man, if I had a chance to eat elk or moose or any other animal I would in a heartbeat!! I prefer venison over beef any day. I raise my own chickens and buy turkeys and rabbits from farmers, so I would think I'm pretty healthy. I don't like eating animal fat. I don't even like grease....it hurts my stomach and intestines so I avoid it.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It is very hard for them to put red meat into their supplement packages and nutrition bars that they want to sell to you for $10 an ounce.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    There is a difference on who eats red meat.

Usain Bolt eating red meat. Not a problem.

The cantor in Sunday mass with the cute voice and size 56 suit and pants like he ran the Phidoppedes run to Athens by the time he reaches his big Buick after mass. Him eating red meat. Big problem.

That's where red meat got the bad rap. Because the likes of Usain Bolt are a minority ;)

dahell?

You really made me laugh!!!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    It is very hard for them to put red meat into their supplement packages and nutrition bars that they want to sell to you for $10 an ounce.

Pfft, have you seen jerky prices lately?
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I almost threw a fit yesterday at my favorite deli. $7.99 for a tiny bag. I need to start making my own.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »
    Seems to have been demonized as causing Colorectal & other cancers by weak statistical associations. Associations =/= causation. More vegan propaganda they try to use to "convert" people

I dont agree with this post at all.

There are documented reliable studies that show an excessive amount of processed red meat - sausage, metwurst etc - does increase your likelihood of colorectal cancers.

I do not think this is vegan propaganda at all.

However the risk is still small and it is associated with large amounts of such foods.

So I still eat red meat and sausages etc - since I only ever ate them in moderate amounts anyway and I dont have other risk factors (family history, history of polyps etc)
    So I considered the risk low and not neccesary to change my diet over.

I did not however, just dismiss the findings out of hand because they didnt say what I wanted to hear.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

I almost threw a fit yesterday at my favorite deli. $7.99 for a tiny bag. I need to start making my own.

My husband makes all our elk jerky and summer sausage. We know exactly what goes into it and it tastes better than anything you can find at the store. Smokers and dehydrators are relatively cheap.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It is linked to increased risk of colorectal cancer. Specifically processed read meat, including the preservative Sodium Nitrite, mostly used in red meat but sometimes in other processed meats too. Also burned meat as bbq'd steak - the burned bits are very cancerogenic, some say more than smoking!

But cooked dark meat as bolognese or stew is fine, and iron is very important

I have done extensive research and consulsted dietitians, as I have colon cancer running in my family and that's what I make out of the research and conversations I had. I eat red meat few times weekly, making sure there is no burned parts and avoid buying processed meat with sodium nitrite.

I love read meat, and unfortunately it's not just propaganda.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Fantastic podcast here. They specifically talk about this question on Myth #2. You can listen to the whole thing (recommended) or just scroll down in the show notes.

http://fatburningman.com/chris-kresser-why-its-ok-to-eat-ice-cream-sometimes/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »
    Seems to have been demonized as causing Colorectal & other cancers by weak statistical associations. Associations =/= causation. More vegan propaganda they try to use to "convert" people

I dont agree with this post at all.

There are documented reliable studies that show an excessive amount of processed red meat - sausage, metwurst etc - does increase your likelihood of colorectal cancers.

I do not think this is vegan propaganda at all.

However the risk is still small and it is associated with large amounts of such foods.

So I still eat red meat and sausages etc - since I only ever ate them in moderate amounts anyway and I dont have other risk factors (family history, history of polyps etc)
    So I considered the risk low and not neccesary to change my diet over.

I did not however, just dismiss the findings out of hand because they didnt say what I wanted to hear.

It was a study of highly processed meats and it raised your risk from 5% all the way up to 6%. Maybe.

I don't think I've dismissed it because it wasn't what I wanted to hear. I dismissed it because the possible risk increase is so slight... and the science behind it was not rock solid. Even if the science is right, I'll take that 1% risk.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    re Chris Kresser - he is not qualified dietitian, he sales paleo books based on promoting eating red meat, he is personal invested in interrupting the complex medical research papers in ways to promote his views, and not your health! He is not credible source for interrupting the matter, nor he is qualified to do so in my opinion

I love meat, and processed meat but unfortunately I will stick to red meat that is not processed and not burned going forward. I removed bacon from my regular shopping list, and I am not using ham in my son's sandwiches

https://youtu.be/uRqB5-egs1s

1:18 minutes re where I stand for natural healers when it comes to complex medical terms

and as per Chris bio
    "Chris has been studying, practicing, and teaching alternative medicine for more than fifteen years. He did his undergraduate work at UC Berkeley, and studied Chinese and integrative medicine at the Acupuncture & Integrative Medicine College, also in Berkeley. He has trained with world-renowned healers and educators in a variety of disciplines throughout the U.S., Thailand, and Indonesia."