Intermittent fasting

Options
leejoyce31
leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Quick question:

I started 16:8 IF 8 weeks ago, and I have kept to my eating window every day. Some days, I fast longer.

I may need to break that for one day and eat a few hours before my window at 11:00 a.m. instead of 2 p.m. Do those who use IF as their form of eating find it easy to just get back within the fasting period the next day? I really have enjoyed being able to wait at least 16 hours before eating.

I was just wondering if I go off for one day, will it be pretty easy to just pick back up the next day. Just curious. I know everyone is different, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Replies

• gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    To me, nothing wrong with going off for a day or even being exactly rigid 100% of the time. Some guys recommend you don't get stressed over the window or the days. Sounds like you're doing great, but some flexibility will totally be ok when needed.

With 8 weeks in, I also believe it will be no problem picking it back up the next day.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I intermittently IF during the week and I have no trouble getting back to 16 and 18 hrs. Some times I want breakfast but most days I don't.

• leejoyce31
    Options
    I intermittently IF during the week and I have no trouble getting back to 16 and 18 hrs. Some times I want breakfast but most days I don't.

So this means you don't do it every day during the week. Just some days, right? Okay, thanks for the response!
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    gwhizeh wrote: »
    To me, nothing wrong with going off for a day or even being exactly rigid 100% of the time. Some guys recommend you don't get stressed over the window or the days. Sounds like you're doing great, but some flexibility will totally be ok when needed.

With 8 weeks in, I also believe it will be no problem picking it back up the next day.

Oh, I'm not stressed at all. It's actually pretty easy to me. I just don't want to get off track because of eating outside my window.
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have no problem jumping back to my normal routine. I am mostly 16:8. I change to 20:4 when I know that I may be going out with friends or on Christmas day as an example. There tends to be a lot of food around so I eat what I want in a shorter window and then just return to my regularly routine the next day.

I find it rather easy. Keep up with it, the results are fantastic. Good luck
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    ^ IF for the win!

Great job!
  • Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have trouble. I've been doing it for 8 months and my Saturdays are always cheat days but I go right back on Sunday or Monday to a 16:8.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat hourly all day, others I fast for 23 hours. It makes no difference from a biological stand point. Just do what you can do
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I try to stick closer to a 18:6 ratio with a 24 hour fast once a week. Social obligations sometimes result in modification of hours or days, but I haven't had an issue jumping back on schedule the next day.
  • bigfroth74
    bigfroth74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 20:4 fasting for 5 weeks now it's been pretty easy to maintain. I'm seeing good results
  • kaimemo
    kaimemo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't my post but i just started IF, Im 4 days in. When you all first started was there any queasy/weak feeling? Do you all stick to the calorie allowance set by MFP?
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Resistive wrote: »
    I have no problem jumping back to my normal routine. I am mostly 16:8. I change to 20:4 when I know that I may be going out with friends or on Christmas day as an example. There tends to be a lot of food around so I eat what I want in a shorter window and then just return to my regularly routine the next day.

I find it rather easy. Keep up with it, the results are fantastic. Good luck

Thank you
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    I try to stick closer to a 18:6 ratio with a 24 hour fast once a week. Social obligations sometimes result in modification of hours or days, but I haven't had an issue jumping back on schedule the next day.

Thanks. It's a social obligation. Glad to hear that others have no problems.
  • leejoyce31
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kaimemo wrote: »
    I know this isn't my post but i just started IF, Im 4 days in. When you all first started was there any queasy/weak feeling? Do you all stick to the calorie allowance set by MFP?

I didn't feel queasy or weak. If so I would have stopped. How many hours do you fast?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I do IF a few times a week now, I have no problem going in and out of it :)
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have IF for years - most days I go 16 hrs then eat a small late lunch and then dinner at normal time. The IF in and of itself did nothing for me. If I ate too much the scale went up. When I ate well - it went down. I found no magic in the IF - it just happens to be what it is I like to do. I would rather sleep then get up early to eat breakfast - once I am at work - I dont eat till lunch.
  • therealdanscottmfp
    Options
    I think from personal experience it's ok once in a while to break fast by a few hours if you need to as long as the majority of your days you break your fast on time. I have been doing fasting for 20hours with my 4 hour window but there are times that I need to break fast a little early like if there is an event or function.
  • kaimemo
    kaimemo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    kaimemo wrote: »

I didn't feel queasy or weak. If so I would have stopped. How many hours do you fast?

I fasted for 16 hours.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    @kaimemo:
    Yes, when I first started I felt weak and queasy quite a bit, and I do now when I fast longer than 16/8. It's just my body adjusting from my usually routine, it seems. Then after a few days I'm fine. Good luck, I hope you'll enjoy IF as much as I do!