I failed ... ughhh

Options
So... i had been doing some time on my elliptical.. had some snow to shovel.. but i completely ruined my whole christmas. Tried to make myself follow my plan. And i did. But then i failed. Like all the way failed. Didnt log for a few days, ate whatever. Im so mad at myself. And my husband doesn't understand. Hes always been skinny lol.. and ive always been, well. Me.

I just need to stay on track. And all. But why cant i!??!?!?!?! Ughhhhhh help.... i need a personal trainer for food and exercise!!! Lol

Replies

• Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
  • maeveodm
    maeveodm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I failed too!! :( I didn't care at all over the holidays and also stopped keeping tracks a couple of months ago and gained a stone! I feel really low. Oh well, time to start over (and actually a stone more than where I was before).
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    For me, a ruined Christmas would mean I'd had a rubbish time, avoiding food and festivities, and generally felt miserable because I was restricting myself.

You have not failed.you haven't ruined anything. You did "life". Start again now, keep logging and move on.

And this.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    So... i had been doing some time on my elliptical.. had some snow to shovel.. but i completely ruined my whole christmas. Tried to make myself follow my plan. And i did. But then i failed. Like all the way failed. Didnt log for a few days, ate whatever. Im so mad at myself. And my husband doesn't understand. Hes always been skinny lol.. and ive always been, well. Me.

I just need to stay on track. And all. But why cant i!??!?!?!?! Ughhhhhh help.... i need a personal trainer for food and exercise!!! Lol

My plan was to stop logging for about 2 weeks over Christmas. It is, after all, Christmas! :)

But I'm still exercising because I love exercising.

Sometime in early January, but not on January 1 - that's too cliche, I will start logging again. :)
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I gained 4.9 pounds from Friday morning to Monday morning. By this morning, (Thursday), it was all back off again. Logging & CICO is a lifestyle & it works. Don't beat yourself up, stick with it & you'll be fine.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Meh. So you had an off week. Suck it up, brush it off, and get back on the train. I traveled, logged, worked out, operate, and retained some serious fluid this past week. Just get right back into your previous routine and don't let this minor off week set you back completely. Remember, weight loss and healthy lifestyles are marathons not sprints. Just get back into your routine and don't let it shake you.
  • basoranno
    basoranno Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I gave in to all of the sugary goodies Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Didn't exercise. Felt like crap Sunday night. Monday I was back on track! It happens. You don't fail as long as you pick yourself up and get back to it. You can do it! Just stay positive and things will work out!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    What they all said. Personal trainers are always a great idea but using them for motivation won't work long term. You supply the motivation and goals, they'll give you the tools. Good luck!
  • valwalter
    valwalter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You didn't fail...it's a temporary setback which everyone experiences. It's harder to stay focused over the holidays - too much temptation. Remember - a setback is a setup for an awesome comeback! :)
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You will be more successful if you let go of the all or nothing mentality. I've done all the "all the way failures" that you describe, multiple times, sometimes on repeat, sometimes worse than you describe, and somehow managed to lose 110 pounds and keep it off for over a year now and even run multiple races like a half marathon last spring and a triathlon this summer. Your problem is not that you failed miserably, it is that you have unrealistic expectations about how perfect a real life "successful at being fit" person must be, and it is setting you up to give up in despair. Your husband didn't get skinny by always being perfect and if you get skinny and healthy and fit, you won't get there by perfection either. You will get there by perseverance over the long haul. You'll have days where you are on fire with motivation, and breaking fitness records, and eating to a level of nutritional perfection that would make a dietitian smile, then on other days you will want to sit around on the couch eat a whole cake. :) That's okay. It happens to all of us mortals. Most days I'm somewhere in between those extremes, not on fire to run a marathon but getting some exercise anyway, not being nutritionally "perfect" but working some treats into a generally healthy diet and living within my calorie budget.

The trick to success not perfection, but consistency. Forgive yourself for being a normal mortal who isn't always on the plan and settle for being generally on track-- ideally on track more hours of the day than not--and you will make gradual progress in the right direction. You'll have occasional setbacks too....and the quicker you dust yourself off and get back in the race, the better. No self defeating thoughts! Just learn what you can learn from the experience and move on with the usual plan (I've learned not to keep whole cakes in my house..... and that my most destructive setbacks often come after periods of extreme deprivation and so It is best to take things slow and steady.)
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    You never actually fail until you stop trying.

Today is a new day. Make it the best day you can.

Do your best. Forget the rest.

This right here!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's not a failure- it's a pause- you have today to do the things.

stop looking at it as a failure- and just do the things.

It's not so black and white. If you stop looking at it as "pass or fail" you'll find more success.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For me, a ruined Christmas would mean I'd had a rubbish time, avoiding food and festivities, and generally felt miserable because I was restricting myself.

You have not failed.you haven't ruined anything. You did "life". Start again now, keep logging and move on.

This exactly. I just came back from 10 days in the Caribbean. I didn't log or "work out" for the first time in almost a year and I regret NOTHING. I'm back logging and back to the gym with wonderful memories.