Goal for 2017 No Soda

Options

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Meh soda ain't bad in moderation. I quit soda for a few years, lost 0lbs lol
  • jnananamaste
    jnananamaste Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Sofa has definitely been proven to be a diet and health hurdle for some and if you feel like it's setting you back, you should go for giving it up. I do the seltzer and occasional soda if we go out for lunch or something and it works for me. I have some family members who are addicted to soda and I see how impacts their health. Go for it and stay strong!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Sofa has definitely been proven to be a diet and health hurdle for some and if you feel like it's setting you back, you should go for giving it up. I do the seltzer and occasional soda if we go out for lunch or something and it works for me. I have some family members who are addicted to soda and I see how impacts their health. Go for it and stay strong!

I hurdle my sofa all of the time as, and it's a big benefit to my health! >:)

• jnananamaste
    jnananamaste Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • bagge72
    Options
    It really makes no sense to cut out aspartame only. If you feel like cutting out aritificial sweetners for some reason cut them all out, but don't cut out the most studied of them all because of the BS people have written about it to scare you.
  • bagge72
    Options
    I've totally replaced my Diet Coke addiction with flavored (but unsweetened) carbonated water. This has made my dental hygienist very happy. Among the brands I buy are Trader Joe's, Poland Springs, Deer Park, LaCroix, Canada Dry, and some grocery store brands. Just look for ingredients lists that are only carbonated water and natural flavorings. Tasty stuff.

I though it was the carbonation that did damage to the teeth?

• xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking coke a while ago, I mainly drink sparkling water now.
    For 2017 I want to try and cut back on the amount of tea I drink with milk and try and drink more still water or herbal tea.

Good luck, we can do this.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    It really makes no sense to cut out aspartame only. If you feel like cutting out aritificial sweetners for some reason cut them all out, but don't cut out the most studied of them all because of the BS people have written about it to scare you.

I'll disagree with this. There are better sweeteners out there. I believe aspartame is banned in many countries and was banned for a while in the US until the lobbyists and big money got the ban lifted.

It's hard to know what to believe anymore because of all the conflicting information out there. I think we all do the best we can. And I think we'd all be better off with pop being a rare treat.
  • wanzik
    Options

I hurdle my sofa all of the time as, and it's a big benefit to my health! >:)

HAR HAR!!! :smiley:
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Good luck! *takes swig of diet coke*
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I just drink the real thing, none of this diet stuff. I just make sure it fits into my daily goal of calories.

I drink the full sugar variety as well, if I have the calories, but diet is the clear winner for me, personally as I can have more or can satisfy my sweet tooth if I have no calories left. There is nothing wrong with diet soda.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    I'll disagree with this. There are better sweeteners out there. I believe aspartame is banned in many countries and was banned for a while in the US until the lobbyists and big money got the ban lifted.
    Did you know that aspartame is just 2 amino acids?
    You should probably read this well written, highly educated post:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking A LOT of soda now I have one every once in a while. It just ate up to many of my calories for the day.
  • wanzik
    Options

It's hard to know what to believe anymore because of all the conflicting information out there. I think we all do the best we can. And I think we'd all be better off with pop being a rare treat.

Fortunately science tells us it's safe, so we don't have to go around looking for conspiracy theories, and gives a clear path on what to believe.

I haven't seen any science that says it's safe. Got any sources? If not I'll look myself sometime... I can live fine without it so it's not really a huge issue for me thankfully.
  • wanzik
    Options
    Did you know that aspartame is just 2 amino acids?
    You should probably read this well written, highly educated post:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I did not know that and will read the post.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is what I thought. OP said she is drinking: "drink mixes and energy drinks that have no sugar or aspartame in them" and I am not sure how these would be different from diet soda, really, in that they have artificial sweetener, no? I drink a variety of diet sodas (not all that much of any of them, since my addiction is coffee and I don't need extra caffeine) and consider them all -- including the Zevia stuff from WF that uses stevia and this weird (tasted weird) diet Coke made with Splenda that my parents bought at Thanksgiving -- to be soda.

Of course, if someone wants to give up aspartame I think that's just fine and it has the added benefit of not being particularly hard, I suppose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I more or less gave up soda four years ago...I was a 3-6 soda per day guy for quite awhile. It actually wasn't that difficult...I made it bigger in my head than it actually was. I have a soda very occasionally now...I usually have a craft sarsaparilla when we take the kids to McCall's farm in the fall to do the pumpkin patch...sometimes I'll have a soda when I'm camping.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I was curious about the claims that it had been banned in countries outside of the US. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true? I couldn't find anything.

I know wikipedia isn't always a great source, but I found this to be an interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy
  • wanzik
    Options

I was curious about the claims that it had been banned in countries outside of the US. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true? I couldn't find anything.

I know wikipedia isn't always a great source, but I found this to be an interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

I don't know... I found that it's banned in Europe in children's products. I also see how it's a "Silent Killer." How do you know what to believe? Do you believe some of the claims on the internet or the claim of a fellow MFP messageboard member who is also on the internet. Or should I believe my seemingly highly educated nutritionist who got promoted to head the whole wellness program in the US for the wellness company for which she works?

Lord knows I try to learn about stuff but I don't know what to do with all the conflicting information out there...