Ketogenic Diet

Replies

• caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    @wynonacook I have been doing LCHF for the past 6 months. I put benefiber in anything I can (i.e. cottage cheese, protein shake before the gym), it is 1 net carb per serving. I am able to cut those three carbs somewhere else to make sure I get my fiber intake.
  • deedwards999
    deedwards999 Posts: 5 Member
    Hello,
    I've been doing the Dukan diet for 10 days now. More or less all protein, low fat. So far I've been doing zero fat yoghurt also, but planning to stop this from tomorrow!
    So will be eggs for breakfast, and chicken : lean mince / fish throughout the day.
    I really struggle with weight and I've already plateau'd, but hopping if I stick to it I will see some results soon. Let me know how it's going for you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Hello,
    I've been doing the Dukan diet for 10 days now. More or less all protein, low fat. So far I've been doing zero fat yoghurt also, but planning to stop this from tomorrow!
    So will be eggs for breakfast, and chicken : lean mince / fish throughout the day.
    I really struggle with weight and I've already plateau'd, but hopping if I stick to it I will see some results soon. Let me know how it's going for you!

Some find that adding fats into the diet makes it easier to lose weight. For those of us like that, lean is a dirty word. ;)
  • Lauryn491
    Lauryn491 Posts: 3 Member
    I am having trouble getting my fat in everyday doing keto. Im ok with hitting carbs and protein but not the fats/ I am usually way under on it. I am new to this diet as I have just started this week. Any tips?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited December 2016
    Lauryn491 wrote: »
    I am having trouble getting my fat in everyday doing keto. Im ok with hitting carbs and protein but not the fats/ I am usually way under on it. I am new to this diet as I have just started this week. Any tips?

Simply opting for fattier cuts of meat (dark meat chicken with the skin, rather than boneless, skinless breasts; pork shoulder or ribs, rather than loin; 80/20 ground beef rather than leaner ground beef; chuck roast or bottom round, rather than eye of the round; rib eye or NY strip, rather than sirloin; salmon, rather than tilapia; etc), opting for full fat dairy (full fat cheese, whole milk yogurt, real sour cream, heavy cream or half and half in coffee), and using butter or olive oil to season your veggies will go a looooong way in reaching your fat goals. It honestly doesn't take a whole lot.

If you open your diary, I could give more specific advice.

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    I've been eating to a keto pattern for 18 months now.
  • patti349
    patti349 Posts: 72 Member
    I've been on the keto plan for 3 weeks now and have lost 8 pounds. It has really been easy for me I am happy
  • llcornerstone
    llcornerstone Posts: 5 Member
    Keto made easy with organic bone broth.
    Add to sautéed veggies or just drink before meal.
    Bullet Coffee a must with MCT oil and grass feed butter.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Lauryn491 wrote: »

In keto, most think of carbs as a hard ceiling and don't push to hit it. Protein is a goal that you want to hit but fats are just what fills in the rest. If you are not hungry at the end of the day and have hit your protein goals, I wouldn't push getting more fats. Those of us losing use our own fat as fuel, right? ;) If you are still hungry, by all means eat more fats but if not, just skip it and go lighter on the calories for the day.

If you do want more fat, add cheese, butter, olive or coconut oil, mayo, nuts, full fat sour cream or salad dressing to your food. Lean or light are words to avoid.
  • llcornerstone
    llcornerstone Posts: 5 Member
    Don't forget the bacon!
  • JustLikeJordin
    JustLikeJordin Posts: 129 Member
    LCHF/LC hybrid. I do what works because BACON!!!!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    SOS! I'm confused. I have never really concentrated on macros - I just threw in percentages on MFP. How does ketogenic work in relation to calories? Does it still boil down to CICO for weight loss or is there something special about the low carb? And how low daily? I'm not really into bread or pasta so I'm thinking this could work for me?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    SOS! I'm confused. I have never really concentrated on macros - I just threw in percentages on MFP. How does ketogenic work in relation to calories? Does it still boil down to CICO for weight loss or is there something special about the low carb? And how low daily? I'm not really into bread or pasta so I'm thinking this could work for me?

It always boils down to CICO for weight loss, no matter what. Keto can't circumvent the laws of energy balance.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @Anvil_Head Thanks! So what figures into the decision to go low carb? Is the weight loss faster, easier, one feels better, other?
  • tlflag1620
    @Anvil_Head Thanks! So what figures into the decision to go low carb? Is the weight loss faster, easier, one feels better, other?

I can only speak for myself, but LCHF allows me to eat at the necessary calorie deficit without having to go hungry. So, yes, it makes it easier (again, speaking for myself here), and I feel better (no crazy hunger, no having to eat every two-three hours to stave off hypoglycemia). I won't say the loss was faster, per se, but it was more consistent, but that was due to better adherence. Let's face it, if you are hungry all the time, you are eventually going eat more than planned, which can wreck your deficit (and make you feel bad/guilty, which can lead to giving up, at least for a time). With low carb I could comfortably eat 1600-1700 cal per day, without hunger. On a higher carb diet, I was hungry on 1800 per day. Made it next to impossible to stay low enough on calories, long enough to see results.

As an added bonus, my eczema cleared up. It was totally unexpected (and wonderful!). So, yes, for me weight loss was easier, faster (more consistent), and I feel better. I've been eating this way for over three years and can't imagine going back. Heck, if I go too far off plan, my hands start to show the tell tale signs of an eczema flare up. That's reason enough for me to stick with it!

Hope that helped!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016

1) Faster weight loss in the beginning, purely due to water weight loss from carbohydrate restriction.

2) Better satiety for some people. Some people are more satiated by lots of fat in their diet.

3) It allegedly is a helpful diet for some medical conditions.

4) It's trendy right now and people are (falsely) led to believe that the fat will "melt right off you!" if you eat keto, or that you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight (neither of which are true).

Some people report that they feel better, others experience the "keto flu" as they transition into ketosis and feel not so good.

Keto is a valid way of eating for some people, just as paleo, vegan/vegetarian, etc. is for others. But there's nothing magical about it as far as health or weight loss.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @Anvil_Head @tlflag1620 Thanks! This was very helpful. How low is low on the low carb to see the results you're speaking of? I can live without bread and pasta but I do like my green apples and strawberrries. I know Atkins has that 20 grams induction thing.
  • tlflag1620
    I didn't do a formal plan. I started out just shooting to reduce carbs to below 100g per day. Some self experimentation (ranging from as low as 20g per day, to as high as 150g per day) revealed that my "sweet spot" seems to be between 50-80g per day. If I go much above 100g I start noticing uncontrolled appetite, much below 40g and I notice sleep disturbance (hard time falling asleep and staying asleep), as well as too little flexibility for my lifestyle (I have a husband and four children who do not eat low carb; I like to eat as close to what they are eating as possible, at least for dinner).

The nice thing about my approach was that since I eased into it, I never dealt with the low carb "flu". I never got the huge scale drop in the beginning either, but I wasn't really going for that (I knew it would be mostly water).
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited December 2016
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It always boils down to CICO for weight loss, no matter what. Keto can't circumvent the laws of energy balance.

To gain fat you must have a calorie surplus since the energy has to come from somewhere but there are probably other things needed to turn that surplus into fat like high insulin. If the surplus isn't turned into fat, it can be excreted. There is no circumventing any physicals laws with that.

To lose stored fat, a cal deficit is all that is needed since the energy must come from somewhere but there are also other things that can liberate fat without it being used to provide energy for the body. In this case, the fat loss is also excreted from the body. No physical laws broken there either.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member

health, in my case. I was premature/underweight at birth, so I got the insulin resistance and pre-diabetes gratis. Keto is the only way for me to keep that in check without medication. I've also lost weight and started ultra endurance cycling.
    And yes, CICO absolutely rules, and for me, on keto, that's now far easier to regulate, compared to how things were when I ate to a "standard" food pattern.