When does the hunger lessen from lower cals?

Options
2»

Replies

• hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think you're smart to adjust meals around to see if it helps you stick to your calorie goals. In my experience, the hunger at night doesn't go away; you just get kind of used to it. I am OK unless I watch Top Chef.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I think around 2 weeks for me is when I would feel hungry I would go for water and not food.
    But I'm always hungry regardless of what I do.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me is noticing when I personally feel most hungry, and organize my biggest meal at that time. For me, I am hungriest at noon, so I eat a bigger lunch, and have a small breakfast, and and medium dinner. Also, pick foods that are filling, but not calorie dense.

For example, a glazed doughnut has about 280 calories, but honestly you probably need 2 or 3 to feel satisfied. On the other hand, a high fiber cereal with fruit, or oatmeal, will have less calories but is healthier and you feel fuller. Switching out things like that should help.

Lastly, drink a TON of water. Water really helps to not feel hungry all the time.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink a lot of water. I'm aware of the nutritional benefit of oatmeal, fiber vs doughnuts :) but I agree, I could do with a small breakfast, medium lunch, sizeable dinner...as long as i keep within my calories :0
    Zumaria1 wrote: »
    Something that helped me is noticing when I personally feel most hungry, and organize my biggest meal at that time. For me, I am hungriest at noon, so I eat a bigger lunch, and have a small breakfast, and and medium dinner. Also, pick foods that are filling, but not calorie dense.

For example, a glazed doughnut has about 280 calories, but honestly you probably need 2 or 3 to feel satisfied. On the other hand, a high fiber cereal with fruit, or oatmeal, will have less calories but is healthier and you feel fuller. Switching out things like that should help.

Lastly, drink a TON of water. Water really helps to not feel hungry all the time.
  • nattyleigh1991
    nattyleigh1991 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me, I didn't get the hungry stage when I first dropped carbs. I would eat (and still do eat) my meals/snacks no more than 2.5 hours apart with high protein and fibre. When I first did this, I would be so full all the time!

The hunger has come now for me... If I go more than 2.5 hours without eating I get hungry to the point that I feel sick.

If you're suffering with hunger try upping your protein and fibre intake
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I find if I want to lose weight I just have to get used to being hungry 100% of the time. We're so used to not being uncomfortable it's very difficult to accept being hungry but just gotta get out of that comfort zone and do it.

Pretty much this. For me it's true of maintenance, too. Hunger, at least mild hunger, is just something I've had to make peace with. Some days are better than others. The only thing that's really helped is getting older. My appetite has diminished just a bit and that does make things a little easier, plus as I've gotten older I feel absolutely horrible in the morning if I eat too close to bed time. When I was younger I didn't have that problem at all, and would have the same type of insomnia the OP is having if I didn't eat enough at night. And as we know now (but didn't back when I was experiencing it) lack of sleep can in itself be a risk factor for weight gain. So in the OP's shoes I'd do some experimenting -- play around with the composition (macros) and timing of your meals or consider upping your calories a bit even if it means a slightly slower rate of loss. It'll probably work better for you in the long run. If you're hungry enough that you're not able to sleep you're probably setting yourself up for failure.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    NEVER.

+1

I have to differentiate between physical and mental hunger. I'm not physically hungry, but I'm mentally hungry all the time (I like to say I'm DTE [down to eat]). Mostly, I eat to "not hungry" levels. Occasionally, that's also being satisfied, but mostly it's not.
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

If this is a recent switch, you may just need to distract yourself in new ways. Video games always help me ;-) or just keeping my hands and mind occupied. I understand that will not work as far as when it woke you from sleep though.

I 100% agree with Ready2Rock206, I remember back in school, being hungry when lunchtime came, or when waiting for dinner. It wasn't uncomfortable then, it was just everyday and normal. Within reason, I have started to embrace that feeling. Your body is talking to you, and if you can learn when you are truly hungry, you will learn too, when you are truly satisfied.

I wish you the best of luck and keep trying different things, mine was upping my fat intake to about 45%. Someone else's will be cutting carbs, increased protein, etc.

You do you!
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the insights.