Commitment 2017

Options
I am currently working out my fitness goals and workout plans for the coming year. I'm curious what everyones plans are for the new year? We can help each other stay focused, committed and accountable!

I am making a plan for my workouts with a combination of indoor cycling with Zwift, walk/run with C25K. I also want to add at least 1 day per week of weight training and 10 min of yoga each day. My flexibility and balance are not the best. I also want to stay committed to my logging each day. I've been so bad about that and obviously there is no way to know what is working if I'm not being honest and logging everything.

Feel free to share your plans :) I'm looking so forward to crushing this year!

Replies

• DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been blowing past goals right and left lately but regular logging has gotten a lot easier with a couple of phone apps. I need to also do weight training 2x/week and something for flexibility. I will continue indoor bike 2x/week with goal of a 45 min session. Outdoor walks of ~5mi 3-4x/week with husband with increased pace over more of the route.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My main health and fitness goals for 2017 are:

1. Log 1,000 miles for the year
    2. Run a half marathon (not necessarily a race, just run the 13.1 distance)
    3. Eat more fruits and veggies
    4. Look into some form of cross-training (yoga, strength, etc.) to balance out the running
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    My main health and fitness goals for 2017 are:

1. Log 1,000 miles for the year
    2. Run a half marathon (not necessarily a race, just run the 13.1 distance)
    3. Eat more fruits and veggies
    4. Look into some form of cross-training (yoga, strength, etc.) to balance out the running

@RespectTheKitty
    There are some runner's yoga dvds on Amazon. The 1 I have has 3 options: post run (the one I use most), pre run, and Conditioning. Each video is only 20 minutes long so they are easy to fit in. I always do the post run video after a long run and it helps tremendously. I'm never sore when I wake up the next morning. :smiley:
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Tammy_Christopher Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    @DiKoehler Congrats on crushing your goals. You have a great plan for the new year. Best of luck!

@MeanderingMammal Wow, that is inspirational! I'd love to get to a point of doing a marathon/half marathon. You have an awesome year ahead. Best of luck on remaining injury free!

@RespectTheKitty Another great plan! 1,000 miles is awesome! I am with you on the goals of more fruits and veggies, I struggle in the winter when things aren't their freshest! Lot's of luck on those miles and half marathon!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Until gardening season, I'm committed to walking every work day at lunch time as long as it's not raining, no matter how cold. There's no bad weather; just bad gear!

One of the walking trails near me snow blows a half mile of the track, and last winter the other walkers and skiers did a great job packing down the rest of it.

If we get several feet of snow at once then my exercise will be shoveling.
  • orange_hoodie
    orange_hoodie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I'm working towards everything listed below, without a specific timeline for completion. This past year I didn't meet my stated goal (pull up), but accomplished other things I didn't anticipate (sprint triathlon, 10k), so I'm feeling really flexible as long as I'm moving forward. I'm looking forward to:

- An Olympic Triathlon
    - A half marathon
    - A century (100 mile) bike ride
    - Benching, squating, and deadlifting 200lbs.
    - Improved flexibility (can I do the splits?)
    - Learning to moonwalk.
    - Taking a boxing class.
    - Not avoiding burpees or planks... Fine, I guess that means actively pursuing them.
    - Unless it's a special occasion, only eating out once a week.
    - Planning trade-offs ahead of time whenever possible (aka, making conscious decisions to help me better balance the needs of work, family, self, community, etc; aka, knowing I can't "do it all" but do what I can well).
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    To crack the top 200 overall rankings and top 20 for my weight class for bench.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My goals are:

PBing my next half marathon
    Adding some strength training and yoga into my weekly routine
    Dropping the last 10lbs and keeping them dropped
    Eating more fruit and veg
  • gremlinreb
    gremlinreb Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My goals are:

- finish C25K and do a 5k charity race in April
    - continue running 3 x week
    - a lifting program 3 x week
    - reach goal weight (currently bmi which is 4kg away) reassess that goal then
    - get back doing yoga a few times per week
  • MrsCoby78
    MrsCoby78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    5k in March
    10k in April
    Half mary in May- sub 1:50
    Maintain weight training 2-3 days per week
    Hit my goal weight
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Options
    @kshama2001 I love gardening season too. Enjoy those walks until it gets here!

@orange_hoodie Wow, that is an awesome list of goals. Best of luck to you!

@Willbenchforcupcakes I hope you are able to crack that ranking. Good luck!

@TavistockToad Welcome to the yoga club haha. Lot's of luck in getting off those last 10 lbs!

@gremlinreb I'm just getting started on C25K next week, I can't wait. Best of luck to you in reaching that goal weight

@MrsCoby78 Great goals! Good luck!

I'm loving reading all of these goals. So much motivation!
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My goals are-

-Complete every FB30 program (from FitnessBlender)
    -Get weight to 140 lbs.
    -Get my 5K to 30 minutes.
    -Enter a fun run every month.
    -Run 10 miles. Just to say I've done it. Then I'm out, I am not a fan of distances over 5/6 miles! Haha!

(My goals look sad next to all you ultra-distance runners! You are all amazing and a little crazy!)
  • orange_hoodie
    orange_hoodie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My goals are-

-Complete every FB30 program (from FitnessBlender)
    -Get weight to 140 lbs.
    -Get my 5K to 30 minutes.
    -Enter a fun run every month.
    -Run 10 miles. Just to say I've done it. Then I'm out, I am not a fan of distances over 5/6 miles! Haha!

(My goals look sad next to all you ultra-distance runners! You are all amazing and a little crazy!)

Your goals do not look sad next to anybody's goals! I'm not a distance runner, but I would never judge another person's goals, and a fun run every month is especially admirable in my book. I hope you have fun with your goals and happy new year :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Distance is all relative, I find a straight 5K effort too painful to be enjoyable, whereas I can run out on trails for hours and enjoy it.

I will acknowledge the little crazy point :)

• genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Distance is all relative, I find a straight 5K effort too painful to be enjoyable, whereas I can run out on trails for hours and enjoy it.

Have you ever watched The Barkley Marathons documentary? Its about an Ultra Marathon in the mountains of Tennessee and I was riveted.

I totally respect and admire people who can persevere through that kind of challenge- but I have no desire to run even though the skin is sloughing off my feet!!

Motivating as hell, though. I think about Ultra runners whenever I am having a tough run. "Your feet still have toenails and you slept in your bed last night. Suck it up!" :p
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Goals for 2017

Cycle more than 2016. 2016's total was 5760.76 km. I want to cycle more than that in 2017.

Complete Petite Year Round Randonneur. This is a challenge where we have to do a 100 km ride each month for a total of 1200 km. There is some flexibility in that we can do 50 km one month and 150 km the next to make up for it, but most of the time it should be a 100 km ride. The challenge started in November (that's when the Audax/Randonneuring year starts), so I've done 3 already.

In the past, I've done several CAM challenges (Century A Month, where I ride a 100 mile ride each month of the year), and would like to do that again, but realistically, with full-time work + university, I'm not sure I can commit to that schedule. However, I would like to do as many centuries as possible. Good training rides.

Complete Super Randonneur. A Super Randonneur is Audax/Randonneuring's standard series and the series which is required to qualify for longer rides in most cases. It consists of one ride each of 200 km, 300 km 400 km, and 600 km, each of which has to be completed within a certain time limit.

Complete a 1000 km randonnee. This might be a long-shot. However, if the 600 km event goes well, there is a 1000 km 2 weeks later.

One 1000 km month.

Cycle up Mt Wellington again.

Cycletouring.

Walk a minimum of 1000 km, but hopefully beat last year's total of 1133 km.

Hike up a mountain or two.

Include some extra stuff like rowing, canoeing, weightlifting and maybe a bit of yoga. Improving my core strength and flexibility would probably be a good thing.

Complete at least 2 more courses at university.

Figure out what I want to do with my website ... and do it!

Travel ... of course. That's always on the list.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Have you ever watched The Barkley Marathons documentary? Its about an Ultra Marathon in the mountains of Tennessee and I was riveted.

I haven't, but I am familiar with the race. That's on the extreme end of Ultra running.

What I would say is that trail racing is generally a bit easier than road running, the pace is a bit slower and Ultras tend to be eating and drinking competitions with some running thrown in. An entry level Ultra is only 50km, so 30 miles. That's not much more than a marathon.

12/ 24 hour events are generally on a circuit of some kind, and it's as many times round as possible in that time. So by limiting myself to only 50km I'm resisting the temptation to break myself, my last 12 hour I did 40 miles.

The Ox 12, in May is on the route that you can see in this video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S3lXqmcHF34

• Tammy_Christopher
    Options
    Wow, I am so impressed with these goals. You all have great plans set to make a fantastic year!