No soda

Options
I was using this app about 8/9 months ago and stopped. I'm back and looking for tips and advice! Soda by far could probably be my main cause of weight gain. If I skip a meal it's because I'm drinking soda. Then I was eating one huge meal a day. It's only been four days without and right now I'm dealing with caffeine headache and just feeling run down. I haven't had any cravings though!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Switch to diet.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    onsickmom wrote: »
    Hello and congrats on quitting soda..Before you make a switch to diet soda please go to net flix and watch the food documentary Theres one I think its called sick. Fat ???? Cant recall but there are several..Having said that I drank soda my whole life and switched to diet about 10 years ago..My imflamation got worse and I had trouble keeping my weight down too..I chalked it off to getting old..I can tell you that today Im 7 months off all CAFFINE...I just drink water..The weight fell off..The swelling went away..And the headaches only lasted a couple weeks..You got this..We wasnt made to take in soda like we do..Use to be a treat once in awhile at an A@W back in the day..Now its like a regular thing every day...Aspertame and like products are dangerous...Chewing gum has it too..WAHHH I miss my gum..But refuse to put any more posion in my body.GOOD LUCK...HANG IN THERE

No just no. That is not a documentary.
  • matthelmet
    matthelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it cause memory loss, though?

What were you saying again?
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Actually there is one on there about sugars and sweetners..Just a bunch of stuff..Very interesting stuff
  • namesnotgotcha
    namesnotgotcha Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I cut out soda a month ago and it's tough. What's helped me (and this applies to so many things diet related) is when I took it away I added other (healthier) things in its place. I started drinking fruit infused water (there are lots of recipes online) and the natural sweetness made the withdrawal less severe. If you want something warm (seeing as it's winter) try tea (green has a little caffeine) and add sugar to help wean you off.

If that's too much of a change, I'd go with high quality juice or hot chocolate - anything but diet soda! (The artificial ingredients are terrible for you!) In fact, I'd even go so far as to avoid anything in a can/bottle. Why do you ask? It's silly, but the sound of them cracking open and the feel of the can just reinforces the message to your brain "I'm drinking soda" - it's really quite Pavlovian.

Good luck!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    I cut out soda a month ago and it's tough. What's helped me (and this applies to so many things diet related) is when I took it away I added other (healthier) things in its place. I started drinking fruit infused water (there are lots of recipes online) and the natural sweetness made the withdrawal less severe. If you want something warm (seeing as it's winter) try tea (green has a little caffeine) and add sugar to help wean you off.

If that's too much of a change, I'd go with high quality juice or hot chocolate - anything but diet soda! (The artificial ingredients are terrible for you!) In fact, I'd even go so far as to avoid anything in a can/bottle. Why do you ask? It's silly, but the sound of the them cracking open and the feel of the can just reinforces the message to your brain "I'm drinking soda" - it's really quite Pavlovian.

Good luck!

Yeah.. no. This is incorrect. Nothing wrong with diet sodas.
  • onsickmom
    Options
    OK SKIP THE SWEETNER ....HOW ABOUT THAT CAFFINE????? That will give a gal a headache....When stopping..I read a smart one on here ..She said if you dont drink soda you will replace it with healthy drink choices...I like that..Now thats great advise and was kind and genuine...Like me
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    onsickmom wrote: »
    OK SKIP THE SWEETNER ....HOW ABOUT THAT CAFFINE????? That will give a gal a headache....When stopping..I read a smart one on here ..She said if you dont drink soda you will replace it with healthy drink choices...I like that..Now thats great advise and was kind and genuine...Like me

caffeine will definitely cause headaches because of the withdrawal. she can replace it with healthy drink choices,would be lower in calories most likely too
  • onsickmom
    Options
    juicing is good for you....In moderation..Them calories rack up quickly...I use mine for tomato sauce and orange juice for the kids...I can agree to disagree on the sweetner thing..I just know once I stopped.....My problems went away too...The swelling was the worse..Bloating..Weight..All went away.And I did replace that bad habbit with water and infused waters..A win win...And the headaches went away too....
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I was using this app about 8/9 months ago and stopped. I'm back and looking for tips and advice! Soda by far could probably be my main cause of weight gain. If I skip a meal it's because I'm drinking soda. Then I was eating one huge meal a day. It's only been four days without and right now I'm dealing with caffeine headache and just feeling run down. I haven't had any cravings though!
    There's no need to skip a meal just because you have one soda...a can of soda has like, 140 calories.

But switching to diet soda from full sugar soda is EASY PEASY once you find a soda that you like. For me, personally, I love coke zero and pepsi max for colas... it can be a little harder to find diet varieties of other (non caffeinated) drinks, though. :)

The only thing that causes weight gain in excess calories. I've lost 100lbs (YAY) and I still consume soda (diet and full sugar). I eat in a deficit and lose weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Whoa! This was my first post and looking at the thread I didn't expect such strong reactions.

Thank you @singingflutelady for the link to the thread on aspartame. I'll definitely read it in its entirety later. It's so difficult to keep up with what is the latest research and (as many of you noted) there's a lot of misinformation out there. I just know my primary care physician counseled me to stay away from artificial sweeteners, so that's where I picked up my information.

Anyway, to circle back to the original poster, I should've added the disclaimer that what I advised is what I found helpful and in no way is a substitute for advice from a trained nutritionist or medical professional. :smile:

That link is fantastic. It really opened my eyes when I first joined. @Aaron_K123 is a very trusted and knowledgeable member of mfp. :) It is so great that he took the time to explain why aspartame isn't scary. Thank you!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I love the time and attention that was put into that thread. It was exactly that thread that got me thinking beyond the aspartame fear mongering. It amazes me when you look at study design, how much that can influence and skew the findings. I'm still not a fan of the aftertaste, but sometimes a girl just needs to sip on something fizzy, so I have started drinking diet again after years without. Scientific awareness, FTW!

OP, if you are suffering from caffeine withdrawal headaches, I find they last about three days, so you should be feeling better soon. I also find that having some tea (or green tea) will take the edge off.

Edited: because spell check doesn't catch incorrect words as long as they are spelled right.
  • UnderGroundMusic
    UnderGroundMusic Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Diet. Diet. Diet. I could live off of Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Pepsi. Especially with a squeeze of lemon in it. Woo, wee.