Thoughts on drinking diet cokes, etc

Options

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I think over time there will be a connection between artificial sweeteners and something negative happening to our bodies but at this point who knows? I see diet drinks as empty calories and zero nutritional value, like water. The difference is water is free and unlikely to cause many problems down the road. Once I got used to drinking water or unsweet tea I prefered them. You are free to drink what you like but you may get a kick out of a game I play during my morning run. I count how many semi trucks with coke or pepsi pass me, its usually between five and seven 18 wheeler loads.

50 years of intensive research and we've got nothing bad on it. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

That may be true but I feel a connection between artificial sweeteners and diabetes may be found. Anyway you may notice I have a lot of "I feel" and "May be" followed by "who knows" so really I got nothing. On the other hand I challenge you to find healthy benefits to drinking them. As stated I don't care if anyone likes or drinks them, I am just cheap and would rather not drink them.

Hydration. Staying hydrated seems to be pretty healthy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Going the other way was in reference to the thought that drinking diet soda and the artificial sweeteners makes you crave more high sugar, other foods... sorry for confusion

This often gets brought up that people believe artificial sweeteners may contribute to cravings for sweet foods.... but I don't understand. You were consuming the Diet Pepsi, did you have cravings for sweet foods? Why would you rely on what other people say might happen when you have your own individual experience to fall back on?

Additionally, you said you drank the diet soda during your initial weight loss period, then gave them up and over time gained some weight back. What was your weight loss method you were using when losing? Was it successful? Were you following a particular program? Using MFP to log calories? Have you been logging during the gaining period? What has changed?
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Diet soda hasn't been linked to cancer or weight gain in any reputable sources. It doesn't lead to anything (besides keeping me up all night to work on research if I drink it alongside of coffee/espresso). I've lost 70-ish pounds drinking one or two a day.
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 lbs this year and diet soda has been my constant companion. I feel like it is my ONE vice left, and they can pry it out of my cold dead hands. If my doctor tells me "Great! You've lost 50 lbs! Now we really gotta talk about your Diet Pepsi habit." then I might consider it. But he hasn't mentioned it yet so I'm not giving it up. I drink about 4 12-oz cans per day.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't drink them, mostly because the taste is grim, and some of the combinations give me a headache.

It seems a bit odd that it's the only thing you want to hang your weight change on. Isn't there anything else that coluld have contributed? like portion creep, relaxed logging, less activity, more cheat days, etc? May be worth looking at those sort of things in the first instance.

I second reading the post below.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,067 Member
    Options
    I think over time there will be a connection between artificial sweeteners and something negative happening to our bodies but at this point who knows? I see diet drinks as empty calories and zero nutritional value, like water. The difference is water is free and unlikely to cause many problems down the road. Once I got used to drinking water or unsweet tea I prefered them. You are free to drink what you like but you may get a kick out of a game I play during my morning run. I count how many semi trucks with coke or pepsi pass me, its usually between five and seven 18 wheeler loads.

50 years of intensive research and we've got nothing bad on it. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

That may be true but I feel a connection between artificial sweeteners and diabetes may be found. Anyway you may notice I have a lot of "I feel" and "May be" followed by "who knows" so really I got nothing. On the other hand I challenge you to find healthy benefits to drinking them. As stated I don't care if anyone likes or drinks them, I am just cheap and would rather not drink them.

Drinking free water for financial reasons is fair enough - I mostly drink free water too, along with cheap instant coffee.

But sometimes I have a diet soda, around 2 or 3 cans per week.

I agree it confers no more health benifits than water- ie like water provides no calorie hydration.

But thats fine with me - I consume plenty of things without the prime reason being the health benifit - just because, you know, I like enjoying food.
    I do not kid myself that I am ever eating chocolate or cake ,for the health benifits. ;)

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Drinking free water for financial reasons is fair enough - I mostly drink free water too, along with cheap instant coffee.

I agree it confers no more health benifits than water- ie like water provides no calorie hydration.

But thats fine with me - I consume plenty of things without the prime reason being the health benifit - just because, you know, I like enjoying food.
    I do not kid myself that I am ever eating chocolate or cake ,for the health benifits. ;)

https://www.fromthegrapevine.com/health/chocolate-cake-breakfast-new-research-says-it-might-actually-help-you-lose-weight

o:)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I love em but they can get pricey.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

https://www.fromthegrapevine.com/health/chocolate-cake-breakfast-new-research-says-it-might-actually-help-you-lose-weight

o:)

Reminds me of...

r04ef8c9bjlc.jpg
  • Michelle2622017
    Michelle2622017 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think diet soda is fine from a weight loss point of view, but soda is terrible for your teeth because of the low ph.

I used to drink a crazy amount of diet soda but I gave it up a couple of years ago because my dentist said I should.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    My thought ... I just downed a glass of diet coke after getting in from a 4 km walk on a hot, sunny afternoon.

It was good!
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I always like the joke , diet sodas don't work , I have never seen a skinny person drinking one ... Or the guy at burger joint ,, give me double burger ,large fries and diet soda lol

Good luck
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Too bad carbonated tea doesn't exist.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Too bad carbonated tea doesn't exist.
    Someone on the forums once said you could use water flavors like Crystal Light in a SodaStream. You could probably do it with that