Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ambridget2 wrote: »
    I want to try plant-based eating so I am beginning a 21 Day Program on my own. Grocery shopping was exhausting yet eye-opening. Any advice from vegans on their beginnings?

Plant based isn't necessarily the same thing as vegan. Plant based just means that a substantial part of the diet is, well, plant based.

I'm not vegan, but I eat a substantively plant based diet and eat vegetarian at least three days per week...I eat meat at least once per day three or four days per week...usually fish or chicken...I also eat eggs and dairy...but a substantial part of my diet consists of things like beans, lentils, potatoes, oats, etc...I get around 4-6 servings of veggies daily and a couple servings of fruit. I get most of my recipes from Pinterest.

Vegan is going to take quite a bit more planning as well as nutritional knowledge to ensure you're getting everything your body needs. If you do go vegan, make sure you're supplementing B-12 as you will not be getting any through your food.
    Is this another case of words meaning anything/nothing? I used to think "plant based" meant "mostly plants", and then it was "vegan, but just the food part", and now I'm confused.
    If it's just basing your meals on plants, well, in that case I'm eating plant based, and most people are.
    I like the quote above: "I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I eat a lot of things that are", which sums it up nicely.

The Mediterranean Diet, for example, is considered to be plant-based since the bulk of it is plant foods, but there are meats (think fish) included. I think the phrase "plant-based" has a broader meaning than one would assume from a strict interpretation of it at first glance.

I don't really think it's stretching things to read things this way, I just think it's a way of describing a way of eating where meat isn't the mainstay of the diet and is used more as a condiment. There are lots of cultures that eat this way. I can't really say there's a better way to describe their diets if the bulk of their foods are, in fact, plant-based.

This would very much describe the way I eat...though I probably eat more eggs (and egg whites) than one would typically find in the Mediterranean Diet.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm not a plant-based eater but not opposed to it.

If by "plant-based" you mean you're eliminating meat ... please do it right. You must ensure you get proper levels (not just 'minimum') of protein and fats for overall health. Avocado is a great, healthy plant-based fat source, as are most natural oils (peanut, olive, coconut, etc.).

Protein can certainly be a challenge, especially if you choose to eliminate grains. If you don't eliminate grains, Quinoa and Buckwheat are good sources, but there's others you can find with a quick google search. A peanut-butter sandwich on Ezekial bread is an excellent source while being technically 'plant-based'.

Also, please supplement B12. Injections are your best source, period. Every health-care professional that advocates a plant-based diet will also tell you to supplement B12. (Yes, even the PCRM/PETA vegan zealots.)

Please do not listen to anyone that says things like "No one ever died from a protein deficiency" or "There's no need to supplement B12". These folks are uninformed.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    oops. mistake. Meant to edit above, not quote new.
  • hidinginthechristmaslights
    hidinginthechristmaslights Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Been Vegan for 3 years now and my best advice to you is to not be too much of a dictator on yourself. If you slip up and eat maybe like a bar of chocolate or something then don't worry about it. My only critisism to that though is to stay the hell away from beef and pork (or venison if thats what you're into), because red meats have such a bad impact on your health and the planet that it's just not worth it.

Banana smoothie recipe if you're interested:

2 bananas
    2 cups of almond milk (or any plant milk tbh so if hemps you're thing then you do you boo)
    4 tsp sugar (or) 2 tsp of sweetener
    Add chia seeds if ya fancy

Hope things go well for you x

(Also sidenote, buy yourself some multivitamins with iron to keep the B12 levels good to go)
  • ambridget2
    ambridget2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    All of your posts have brought up a lot of good information for me. It isn't as simplistic as I was thinking. I am following what is online and it is free. It is called 21 Vegan Kickstart by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (www.pcrm.org/kickstartHome/meal plan) All the meals are planned out. It is no meat or dairy. They provide grocery lists as well and purchased week 1 items. There is so much to consider. I know I want organic as well AND they want low fat too. Shopping was so new and exhausting looking for everything. I bought some organic ( I want non-gmo too yet organic don't have that label). Are all organically non-gmo? Also, I am thinking after the 21 days to eat at least some organic non-gmo meat sources. I read that there is too much mercury in our oceans so fish is out because of that and being too fatty.

My reasoning is number 1 to be healthy and keep cancer away. I am a registered nurse on an oncology floor and I want to be as healthy as possible. I also want to lose 30 lbs.

Thanks again for everyone's posts. You are bringing up so many new topics for me to consider.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

If by "plant-based" you mean you're eliminating meat ... please do it right. You must ensure you get proper levels (not just 'minimum') of protein and fats for overall health. Avocado is a great, healthy plant-based fat source, as are most natural oils (peanut, olive, coconut, etc.).

Protein can certainly be a challenge, especially if you choose to eliminate grains. If you don't eliminate grains, Quinoa and Buckwheat are good sources, but there's others you can find with a quick google search. A peanut-butter sandwich on Ezekial bread is an excellent source while being technically 'plant-based'.

Also, please supplement B12. Injections are your best source, period. Every health-care professional that advocates a plant-based diet will also tell you to supplement B12. (Yes, even the PCRM/PETA vegan zealots.)

Please do not listen to anyone that says things like "No one ever died from a protein deficiency" or "There's no need to supplement B12". These folks are uninformed.

Absolutely! I think a researched approach to plant-based is healthy and prudent.

OP, look at your nutritional needs and then see which foods contain them to ensure you are getting a balanced diet. Your post is a bit confusing to me, because plant-based is not necessarily vegan. Are you looking at increasing plant-based consumption while decreasing animal products? Or are you looking at removing all animal products from your diet? Vegan diets are typically about an ethical view point. Plant-based is a dietary choice.

ETA: I see you answered some of this above. I'm going to leave it though.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Absolutely! I think a researched approach to plant-based is healthy and prudent.

OP, look at your nutritional needs and then see which foods contain them to ensure you are getting a balanced diet. Your post is a bit confusing to me, because plant-based is not necessarily vegan. Are you looking at increasing plant-based consumption while decreasing animal products? Or are you looking at removing all animal products from your diet? Vegan diets are typically about an ethical view point. Plant-based is a dietary choice.

She's doing it to lose weight and prevent cancer. Not quite sure how her new eating plan is going to accomplish either of those though?

And OP-eating a vegan diet does not automatically mean healthier. Many people who are in excellent health eat meat and dairy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I want to try plant-based eating so I am beginning a 21 Day Program on my own. Grocery shopping was exhausting yet eye-opening. Any advice from vegans on their beginnings?

Plant based isn't necessarily the same thing as vegan. Plant based just means that a substantial part of the diet is, well, plant based.

I'm not vegan, but I eat a substantively plant based diet and eat vegetarian at least three days per week...I eat meat at least once per day three or four days per week...usually fish or chicken...I also eat eggs and dairy...but a substantial part of my diet consists of things like beans, lentils, potatoes, oats, etc...I get around 4-6 servings of veggies daily and a couple servings of fruit. I get most of my recipes from Pinterest.

Vegan is going to take quite a bit more planning as well as nutritional knowledge to ensure you're getting everything your body needs. If you do go vegan, make sure you're supplementing B-12 as you will not be getting any through your food.

Is this another case of words meaning anything/nothing? I used to think "plant based" meant "mostly plants", and then it was "vegan, but just the food part", and now I'm confused.
    If it's just basing your meals on plants, well, in that case I'm eating plant based, and most people are.
    I like the quote above: "I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I eat a lot of things that are", which sums it up nicely.

I think it's mostly the creation of a new term or rebranding of an old term for a dietary change that is (in the US and much of Europe, anyway) relatively new.

Vegan was created from vegetarian to mean a particular ethical stance and not eating/using animal products at all. The focus is not diet, but avoiding the exploitation of animals. Vegetarian used to clearly include people who ate 100% plant-based, which is why you'd add "ovo-lacto" to mean "also eats eggs and dairy," I believe, but within my time vegetarian has always meant also eats eggs and dairy unless the person states otherwise. SO, there is an absence of a term for diet-only that excludes all animal products just at the time (now) when such diets are increasingly common/popular. So I think it makes sense to use plant-based (or WFPB for the whole foods focused ones promoted by various people) to refer to this way of eating.

Although my own diet is majority WFPB (but I eat eggs, dairy, fish, and other meat in moderation), I don't have a problem with "plant based" being used for 100% (or all but on rare exception) animal-product-free diets, since I don't feel like I need a special term to describe my own diet. IMO, a nutrition-conscious omnivorous diet will, normally, be largely plant-based. So if someone says she is trying to go plant-based (vs. "eat more vegetables"), I think the meaning is usually clear.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    All of your posts have brought up a lot of good information for me. It isn't as simplistic as I was thinking. I am following what is online and it is free. It is called 21 Vegan Kickstart by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (www.pcrm.org/kickstartHome/meal plan) All the meals are planned out. It is no meat or dairy. They provide grocery lists as well and purchased week 1 items. There is so much to consider. I know I want organic as well AND they want low fat too. Shopping was so new and exhausting looking for everything. I bought some organic ( I want non-gmo too yet organic don't have that label). Are all organically non-gmo? Also, I am thinking after the 21 days to eat at least some organic non-gmo meat sources. I read that there is too much mercury in our oceans so fish is out because of that and being too fatty.

My reasoning is number 1 to be healthy and keep cancer away. I am a registered nurse on an oncology floor and I want to be as healthy as possible. I also want to lose 30 lbs.

Thanks again for everyone's posts. You are bringing up so many new topics for me to consider.

This depends on the fish...also, the fatty fish are good, heart healthy fats that are essential to good health...Omega 3 fatty acids. I eat mostly Salmon which is very low mercury and very high in Omega 3 fatty acids...I also eat quite a bit of cod which is also a lot mercury fish...it is very lean and doesn't have as much Omega 3...mahi is also another good choice.

Beyond that, dietary fat in general is essential to proper nutrition and health...moderate it, but you shouldn't go out of your way to eliminate it...very low fat diets have shown to increase the risk of cardiovascular disease among other things.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Dietary fat is important in hormone functioning and absorption of some nutrients. You do need some in your diet.
  • iluvnufoods
    iluvnufoods Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I got started with buying a few books from a local thrift shop. I picked up Becoming Vegetarian (it delves a bit into nutritional needs,) The Veganomicon, and another huge book of vegetarian recipes for about $15.

I eat very little meat these days, so expanding my repertoire was and is still essential for maintaining optimum nutrition.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

She's doing it to lose weight and prevent cancer. Not quite sure how her new eating plan is going to accomplish either of those though?

And OP-eating a vegan diet does not automatically mean healthier. Many people who are in excellent health eat meat and dairy.

I was typing as she posted, and editing as you posted. :laugh:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

May I ask what your issue is with GMO?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't going to be a challenge. You don't need a lot. Just eat a variety of vegan proteins during the day no problem. No one ever died from a protein deficiency. Lots of people are vegan and vegetarian and have been for many years with no issue, like any diet, just eat a variety of foods. Personally veggie chili is one of my favorite meals high in lots of nutrients including fiber, protein, iron and other vitamins and it's very versatile.

You're wrong on that - dead wrong, actually. :(

I had lots of other things wrong too at the time as I was in a very severe crohn's flare and hospitalized for over a month but one thing was my albumin (protein) was super low and I had transfusions for that. Even though all my levels were low my doctors were most concerned about my low protein. I almost died btw.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    All of your posts have brought up a lot of good information for me. It isn't as simplistic as I was thinking. I am following what is online and it is free. It is called 21 Vegan Kickstart by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (www.pcrm.org/kickstartHome/meal plan) All the meals are planned out. It is no meat or dairy. They provide grocery lists as well and purchased week 1 items.

I find following someone else's meal plans basically irritating and impossible, it feels restrictive and burdensome, but I know it does work for some. If it works for you, consider it to be a learning experience as to how meals are put together without any animal-sourced foods. If it doesn't, there's nothing wrong with that, and you can still do it your own way. Sometimes making the shift more gradually (meal by meal or going vegetarian first and then doing 3 vegan dinners per week, etc.) can be easier.
    There is so much to consider. I know I want organic as well AND they want low fat too. Shopping was so new and exhausting looking for everything. I bought some organic ( I want non-gmo too yet organic don't have that label). Are all organically non-gmo? Also, I am thinking after the 21 days to eat at least some organic non-gmo meat sources. I read that there is too much mercury in our oceans so fish is out because of that and being too fatty.

I'm skeptical about the benefits of organic, especially as labeling works in the US, but it depends on the product. (In season I'm big on buying local and have a source for that that is organic, just as it happens, so I'm not against organic, but out of season I'm more lax.) Anyway, yeah, in the US organic is also non-GMO, and most produce isn't GMO anyway -- there are limited products that are and in many cases it is in packaged products, not what you buy in the produce section. If you rely on tofu, tempeh, that tends to be labeled non GMO (certainly is in WF).

I care about sourcing of meat largely for ethical reasons, so when I am eating meat, eggs, and dairy I source it from a local farm, but in the winter/early spring that's not possible for fruits and veg where I live.

(I don't think there's anything wrong with GMO, but if you want to avoid it, it's not hard. I find most tofu and tempeh I buy is non-GMO.)

On fish, depends on the size -- small fishes have less mercury, and I don't think the mercury issue would lead me to avoid all fish, just limit consumption of larger fish.

On fat, I am generally down on plant-based diets that demand low fat -- don't see the point and because I have read a lot of stuff on the topic (I'm interested in and generally favorable toward plant-based eating), I know that there are splits in the community about how much fat or whether it matters. My view is that fatty fish is generally good for us, important to eat if you are not 100% plant based (and I considered supplementing with an algae form of Omega 3 when I was doing plant based). I also think less processed vegetable sourced oils can be healthy and, importantly, add to the pleasure of a diet, so I use lots of olive oil, some coconut and avocado oil, stuff like that. If you don't -- and often the reason not to is to cut down on calories for people needing to lose weight -- I'd still include whole food sources of fat like avocado, olives, nuts and seeds, personally, and I am not sure why low fat would be pushed absent a concern about reversing heart disease.

(I do think low fat diets can be useful in some contexts, and this is an article worth reading if you have not: https://deniseminger.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/)

Good luck! One reason I tend to be more lax about a lot of this and say take it gradually and don't be too restrictive is that I think to have a sustainable healthful diet, whether plant-based or not, you need to also make it not to hard and really enjoyable. One thing I have found helpful to look at is the diversity of healthy human diets in places like the blue zones -- I think the extent to which we worry and fight about what a perfect diet is in the US while often having truly terrible diets is a weird dichotomy. Having a generally good diet that includes lots of whole plant foods prepared lovingly at home and eaten with mindfulness and enjoyment within an active lifestyle would probably be the healthiest approach vs. any one diet. But I am totally supportive of trying different ways of eating and sticking with them if you like them.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't going to be a challenge. You don't need a lot. Just eat a variety of vegan proteins during the day no problem. No one ever died from a protein deficiency. Lots of people are vegan and vegetarian and have been for many years with no issue, like any diet, just eat a variety of foods. Personally veggie chili is one of my favorite meals high in lots of nutrients including fiber, protein, iron and other vitamins and it's very versatile.

You are absolutely wrong about protein. I have seen serious complications caused by lack of protein. While it may not have been a direct cause of death, it certainly contributes.

Probably people that had complications weren't eating enough calories or a varied diet, generally though it's not an issue.
    Calm down.

look up protein deficiencies and see what can happen when its too low. its real and it can kill you. has nothing to do with not eating enough calories which can speed things up, but not getting enough protein is a serious issue,especially if you are losing weight or working out,
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am following what is online and it is free. It is called 21 Vegan Kickstart by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (www.pcrm.org/kickstartHome/meal plan) All the meals are planned out.

I'm seeing all kinds of red flags on that site. The menu won't do you any harm but it does seem to lack a little in fats and proteins.

Selecting fruits on the basis of a wide range of colours is an absolute horror story, and the point about no calorie restriction leads to some concern.

Try it, see how you feel, but in the meantime I'd echo the comments above about doing your research.
  • ambridget2
    ambridget2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    All, I am confused too. It is an all plant-derived plan with no meats or fish. I thought I read plant-based through out some of the literature yet until I find those places I could have labeled it as such in my own. I doubt it but read it all over again. It clearly says vegan. Maybe I am getting it all wrong. To my SHOCK, I guess because this is all new to me, organic things have corn syrup and other sugars I want avoid as well. Oh my! I am obviously naive and need to understand that organic and non-gmo still have sugars I want to avoid. You all are great help. Continue