Plant-Based Eating for 21 Days- New To This- Anyone Else

Options

Replies

• ambridget2
    ambridget2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how to reply on individual posts. I click "quote" and then do I comment at the beginning of the persons' post or the end?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    There is no need to avoid sugars though. Right now, labels don't differentiate between natural sugars and added sugars. So if you are looking at say a can of organic stewed tomatoes, there will be sugar in it, because tomatoes naturally contain sugar.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    ambridget2 wrote: »
    I am not sure how to reply on individual posts. I click "quote" and then do I comment at the beginning of the persons' post or the end?

It's easier to follow if you post your reply at the end of the post. Just because people see what you are responding to, and then can read your comment.
  • ambridget2
    ambridget2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree about the protein being good from fish especially salmon which I love. I do know a lot about nutrition, calories, protein needs, the dangerous eating plans etc. and I may just be trusting this site too much. I know how to eat healthy and know I can do it without a guide BUT I want to eat in a way that does not promote cancer. I am an oncology nurse and know that red meat is not something I want in my diet. Thanks about the mercury issue and fish. I read about all fish being too fatty and mercury-laden on that site. Perhaps I should do mostly vegetables and fish. Not sure about dairy. Any thoughts about dairy?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @littlechiaseed You really need to get over your disdain of protein, do you eat low fat too?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I agree about the protein being good from fish especially salmon which I love. I do know a lot about nutrition, calories, protein needs, the dangerous eating plans etc. and I may just be trusting this site too much. I know how to eat healthy and know I can do it without a guide BUT I want to eat in a way that does not promote cancer. I am an oncology nurse and know that red meat is not something I want in my diet. Thanks about the mercury issue and fish. I read about all fish being too fatty and mercury-laden on that site. Perhaps I should do mostly vegetables and fish. Not sure about dairy. Any thoughts about dairy?

There is nothing wrong with anything in moderation. Reasonable portion sizes, keep calorie under control and manage your macros and you're fine.

There is nothing inherently wrong with red meat, but it shouldn't be the focus of every meal, give yourself some variety.

Personally I find my suggestion better, and my energy levels better when I'm limiting my meat intake. That's an N=1 situation though, and others will disagree.

What I would say is Lacto-ovo is easier to maintain.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    @littlechiaseed You really need to get over your disdain of protein, do you eat low fat too?

I like protein plenty, there's just a lot of crazy info floating on the boards about it that's annoying. Like person said plant based...a lot of people say they are plant based and still eat some meat or eggs and dairy...and everyone is acting like if you don't eat a high protein diet that you're going to end up in the hospital which is stupid. But generally a person with a balanced diet doesn't need to worrry about protein...someone with an unbalanced diet would. But keep reading what isn't there it's pretty funny.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I like protein plenty, there's just a lot of crazy info floating on the boards about it that's annoying. Like person said plant based...a lot of people say they are plant based and still eat some meat or eggs and dairy...and everyone is acting like if you don't eat a high protein diet that you're going to end up in the hospital which is stupid. But generally a person with a balanced diet doesn't need to worrry about protein...someone with an unbalanced diet would. But keep reading what isn't there it's pretty funny.

no one said you needed a high protein diet,they said you need enough protein in your diet,protein is needed for a lot of things, if you dont get enough protein(notice I didnt say high protein) your body will break down muscle to get it. your body protein needs will depend on the person. but if you work out, lift weights,are losing weight,etc you will need more protein than the LOWEST recommended for women.Eating too little protein can land you in the hospital,but hey if you want to test the waters eating low protein(barring any medical issue and under a drs care) then go ahead. your body needs the 3 macros protein,fat and carbs, and enough to be healthy and prevent deficiencies and other possible health issues that can arise from them being too low.If you are high in carbs and fat and low/very low in protein to me thats not a balanced diet. one day here and there wont hurt, but often and for long periods there will be issues.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not HIGH protein, I just aim to get over 100g a day. Sometimes it's around 120g all the way up to 170g, but very rarely under 100.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

I like protein plenty, there's just a lot of crazy info floating on the boards about it that's annoying. Like person said plant based...a lot of people say they are plant based and still eat some meat or eggs and dairy..

The originator described it as plant based, and referred to a vegan eating plan. That's a pretty clear indicator to me that we're talking vegan, not pescatarian, Lacto-ovo or omniverous.

It's more difficult for vegetarians and vegans to consume enough protein. The higher quality options have a correspondingly higher fat content, so that means compromise. Some of the options have high volumes, and that can put people off, particularly in a transitional period. Gas is a huge issue for someone transitioning to a vegan diet.

It's easy for new vegetarians or vegans to be deficient in something, and frequently it's protein.

I'd also observe that I've had vegetarian recipe boxes at times, and rarely are they all that well balanced.

• nutmegoreo
    Options

Ironic statement is ironic. No one was advocating high protein. People were saying get enough protein, balance. You were the one claiming that low protein wasn't harmful.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

I can imagine how tough your job must be! But, people get cancer and really there's not a whole lot we can do about it. Yes, not smoking and such may help lower some people's risks, but many times it just is what it is. My husband's grandfather has lung cancer and he's not a smoker. My mother -in-law is a breast cancer survivor and she's the healthiest person I know-she's active, at a healthy bmi, has a very 'healthy' diet and has no family history of breast cancer. My next door neighbor is another breast cancer survivor who's in her 30s and is also in excellent health, except she's had cancer. And I know several other people who also live healthy lifestyles and have had brain cancer, stomach cancer etc.

It's good that you're trying to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible, but also realize that stressing yourself out trying to do everything 'right' isn't healthy either. Nothing wrong with reducing your red meat consumption and eating more veggies and fruit. But don't try to make such drastic changes that you end up wearing yourself down.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

That site is highly agenda driven. Please note that I'm speaking as a vegetarian. The people behind that site are connected to PETA, and as fond as I am of animals, I find PETA to be an extremist organization.

In other words, take what that site says with a grain of salt.

As far as dairy is concerned, I'm a fan. I seem to recall reading that the saturated fat in it doesn't seem to be as bad for us due to... I think it's butyric acid... as the saturated fat in red meat would be.

I have osteopenia, and I like to get most of my calcium through diet. A nice hefty serving of cottage cheese daily helps to get me there, plus it's one of the more filling foods in my diet (and it's versatile).
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A spiralizer is fun! Also you can make a huge batch of vegan protein pancakes and freeze them, then reheat in toaster as needed. Maybe consider a rice cooker? Large batches of beans and rice in the fridge will help when you are hungry and not sure what to eat as you gain new habits. Happy eating!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Been Vegan for 3 years now and my best advice to you is to not be too much of a dictator on yourself. If you slip up and eat maybe like a bar of chocolate or something then don't worry about it. My only critisism to that though is to stay the hell away from beef and pork (or venison if thats what you're into), because red meats have such a bad impact on your health and the planet that it's just not worth it.

Banana smoothie recipe if you're interested:

2 bananas
    2 cups of almond milk (or any plant milk tbh so if hemps you're thing then you do you boo)
    4 tsp sugar (or) 2 tsp of sweetener
    Add chia seeds if ya fancy

Hope things go well for you x

(Also sidenote, buy yourself some multivitamins with iron to keep the B12 levels good to go)

Eating chocolate isn't slipping up for vegans. I eat 1-2 chocolate bars a week usually, it just doesn't have dairy in it.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    http://www.pcrm.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/health/High-Protein-Diets.pdf

You can eat plant based proteins. I have been doing plant based for a while now and feel SO much better!!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I have switched to plant based and I love it. Protein isn't a problem, I find it funny how most people think you can't get protein without meat. I have an Instagram page with ideas if you're interested it's call <snip>

People aren't saying you can't get enough protein. In fact I've started adding more vegetarian meals and still hit my protein goals. They are saying that protein needs to be monitored to make sure it is enough. Often people move into a different diet without considering their nutritional needs. That's all anyone is saying, be mindful to ensure nutritional balance.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ... I find it funny how most people think you can't get protein without meat.

I don't think anyone has said that. It's certainly straightforward enough, although needs more planning.

• Fitnessflexibility
    Fitnessflexibility Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I meant in general most people that I talk to ask how can you get protein without meat.
    Lots of great ideas on here!