Options
    lift a beer bottle and cheeseburger and send me the $10
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    We have all had bad experiences with gyms and often the people in them, but i continually see Planet Fitness being constantly ridiculed for being extremely judge mental and not caring for their patrons!? I did some research and i found heaps of videos of them even kicking people out of their gym!? I found this article about why PlanetFitness Kills Gains idealtestosterone.com/planet-fitness-mistakes/ and i wanted to know if you guys agree with it? or have your own opinions on the gym? not sure whether to join or not!

What are your goals?

You're going to have different experiences at different locations, that's a given. But does the equipment and atmosphere, the location and cost meet your needs. Don't overthink it.

It's taken me a better part of a year, but I follow a regimen that's a mix of two others and works perfectly for me using only my bodyweight, a suspension trainer and an app. I also have 50lbs of dumbbells I use pretty frequently.

You may not get the olympic level stuff at PF, but if I can barely breath and am making gains and pumped using only what I outlined, in my basement, then you surely can at PF.

What are your goals? :) I'd go by that and whether PF can accommodate them. The only reason I never joined is no one on their staff could justify me having to hand over my bank account info for a membership.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Different gyms for different goals. An elite athlete is unlikely to be a planet fitness user (unless they re being sponsored for PR), just like TRI STAR is unlikely to attract the "just want to drop a few and be healthy"crowd. Find where you fit.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are looking for. I have been to one a couple of times. It's not for me.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm a PF member and the entire time I read this article, I thought "What are you talking about?"

My location has never handed out pizza, I got a free t-shirt but it was not the reason I joined, it doesn't have signs telling people not to do certain exercises or talking about steroids, the Lunk Alarm has never gone off (pretty sure it's just a joke), it has dumb bells heavier than 60 pounds, and it has three vertical smith machines, which are basically squat racks.

And to be perfectly honest, this person getting so offended at PF's judgmental judgement free zone made me smile a little. Now they know how some of the rest of us feel when we go to other gyms. I had a membership to Lifetime Fitness for awhile which I hated. I would go at 3 am and there would be guys there as big as The Rock and they would spend more time walking around, looking at (and judging) other people and flexing in the mirror than actually exercising. It intimidated me because I'm a skinny guy and I could never lift as much as them. And everyone says, "Just don't pay attention," but it's hard not to pay attention when you finish a set and out the corner of your eye you see someone who looks like a linebacker staring at you. Is everyone who goes to that kind of gym like that? No. But it happened enough times, I got sick of it and cancelled my membership. I don't get any of that at Planet Fitness, because it seems like everyone there– old, young, short, tall, muscular, skinny, obese– is there for the same reason which is to get in shape and everyone there seems to understand that getting into shape means different things to different people. When I was at Lifetime, the place seemed to be filled with people who thought being in shape meant you had to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger and be able to bench press a Volkswagen 20 times. That's not my goal. If that's your goal (which it seems to be the article's author's goal) then go somewhere else. But if your goal is something simple, then PF isn't a bad place to go. I love my location and I'm glad I signed up there.

Smith machines =/= squat racks, not even close...also, you can't do certain exercises at PF...you can't do Olympic lifts...you can't do dead lifts...they have no bumper plates or platform.

Doing traditional lifts like cleans and snatches and traditional compound movements has nothing to do with wanting to look like Arnold...I'm a cyclist, that would be pretty dumb. And this is exactly why a lot of fitness people complain about PF...you're doing exactly what they do...if you want to do dead lifts, you must be a lunk or huge body builder or something...there are a lot of fit and fitness people who do compound movements and explosive movements like cleans and snatches because they understand the benefit of them for overall fitness...

Your post is basically straight out of PF marketing...

Pretty much sums up exactly what I was going to say, especially the last line.
  • Fitnessmom38
    Fitnessmom38 Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm currently a member of planet fitness and my location is great and very friendly and accepts credit cards there are several of us that go everyday and say hi to each other.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm currenyl

me too actually.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend goes to planet fitness and has lost 60lbs and gained a lot of muscle but he complaines about people just sitting at machines not using them. He says some people just stand at the machine and take selfies or just walk around. I understand what you mean about the mindset.
    I think some missed my point. I wasn't speaking to the results being mediocre. Hell, you can go to a riverbed and move rocks around and build muscle. I was talking specifically about the mindset of the people whom their advertising appeals to. The kind of person who is less likely to be going to the gym to improve themselves, than to shut up a spouse, a doctor, whatever. The "I'm trying" but not really trying crowd.

• xSkinnyFitx
    xSkinnyFitx Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness was my first "real" gym. Prior to going to planet fitness back in 2009 I use to go to an all women's gym. When Planet Fitness showed up it was the greatest thing ever. A "real gym so I thought." Many years down the line what I can say is I've realized Planet Fitness is a basic gym. It's affordable and it's 24 hours. I've been messed with at every Planet Fitness I've ever been to. I'm usually viewed as "the skinny girl" and somebody always finds a way to say something to me but I just complain to corporate and then they know not to bother me. So nobody bothers me anymore. I go workout and listen to my music. I'm not trying to bulk up or build so working out there is fine for me. I stick with the machines because everything else is too heavy.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend goes to planet fitness and has lost 60lbs and gained a lot of muscle but he complaines about people just sitting at machines not using them. He says some people just stand at the machine and take selfies or just walk around. I understand what you mean about the mindset.
    I think some missed my point. I wasn't speaking to the results being mediocre. Hell, you can go to a riverbed and move rocks around and build muscle. I was talking specifically about the mindset of the people whom their advertising appeals to. The kind of person who is less likely to be going to the gym to improve themselves, than to shut up a spouse, a doctor, whatever. The "I'm trying" but not really trying crowd.

That happens at most gyms - at least every one of the several I've gone to. It's not a PF-specific behavior.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    veganow wrote: »
    ...I've been messed with at every Planet Fitness I've ever been to. I'm usually viewed as "the skinny girl" and somebody always finds a way to say something to me but I just complain to corporate and then they know not to bother me. So nobody bothers me anymore...

This boggles my mind. It sounds like middle school locker room behavior, not the behavior of grown adults. I personally have never seen this sort of thing happening, and I'm a "skinny girl" myself. Everybody pretty much behaves at my gym. Maybe you just go to a really crappy location with lots of really crappy people as members. Sounds terrible.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    We don't have Planet Fitness here, but for 10 bucks a month i would seriously consider joining!
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We have all had bad experiences with gyms and often the people in them, but i continually see Planet Fitness being constantly ridiculed for being extremely judge mental and not caring for their patrons!? I did some research and i found heaps of videos of them even kicking people out of their gym!? I found this article about why PlanetFitness Kills Gains idealtestosterone.com/planet-fitness-mistakes/ and i wanted to know if you guys agree with it? or have your own opinions on the gym? not sure whether to join or not!

Planet Fitness is THE WORST GYM IN THE WORLD!!! They do kick people out and it's a "no judge zone", BS!! They judge anyone whom is bigger than the average size person. If you are trying to lift heavy and drop a weight, a *kitten* buzzer goes off, even if it's an accident.

Best part is they give pizza to their guests every month!!! WTF is that all about...they want people to stay overweight...This Brand sucks...
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    it serves a purpose.
    It is good for people who want to check a box- or who have no need to do big movements.
    It's also a SPLENDID cheap 2nd gym. I've considered getting a 10$ pass to the local gym myself- because 10$ and free pizza- I cannot even order pizza that cheap. so if I get 1 whole pizza out of it a month- it's paid for itself and I"ve eaten- WIN! free food = mustacian savings- and I'm all about that life.

I HATE their hypocritical advertising- because they are the judgiest gym alive. Plain and simple. I get that it's marketing- but it's hypocrisy at it's finest.

Otherwise- meh- I don't bother.

It's not a gym for me regularly- I'd gladly use it as a second gym- but otherwise it suits people fine- I think people are delusional that it's a safe space- or it's not judgmental- but whatever that's 100% not my problem.

We posts like this all the time- and I'm quite frankly not sure why you posted it other than to stir the proverbial pot.

They definitely judge people...THEY SUCK.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    My issue is that they claim to be a "non judgemental" zone, except to bodybuilders (who are even polite) and gym bunnies (based on their commercials). If you're gonna call yourself that, don't be a hypocrite.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    My issue is that they claim to be a "non judgemental" zone, except to bodybuilders (who are even polite) and gym bunnies (based on their commercials). If you're gonna call yourself that, don't be a hypocrite.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Agreed!!!

One of their flat bench lock and pin device broke when I was using dumbbells so I dropped both of them. They sounded the buzzer afterwards. These pieces of *kitten* never even explored to see why I did this...

I walked up to the front and told them what happened and said if they ever buzzed that *kitten* again at me I'll shove that bell up their *kitten*.

I canceled my membership the next day.