Thoughts on the "potato diet"?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    At least it won't stink as much as the cabbage diet. And you won't have as many trips to the bathroom as with the lemonade diet.

Seriously, potato diet?? I'm 70 years old and for as long as I remember, there have been fad diets. If they worked you wouldn't have any more fat people.

The cabbage soup diet came to mind when i saw this thread. At least you get to eat soup which is packed full of different veggies, and is much tastier than plain potatoes.
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm not defending a fad diet here, but people can live off almost entirely potatoes.

Pre-Famine, the bulk of the poor Irish population lived almost entirely off potatoes and milk. Your average Irish person was very poor and didn't have access to even other vegetables for the most part (aside from what was scavenged). The introduction of the potato to Ireland is one of the main reasons the population grew so much in a relatively short period of time, especially given that potatoes could be grown cheaply (more info here). Even today Ireland hasn't regained the pre-Famine population level.

...which isn't to say that the potato diet today is anything other than a fad, but it is viable (if you want to live like an incredibly poor Irish peasant in the 18th century I suppose).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Almost certainly those poor Irish peasants who lived almost entirely on potatoes and milk had a short life expectancy and most would of been anaemic - although some probably ate just enough of other foods - meat, bread, other vegetables - to avoid this.

So, yes, they lived on a diet consisting of mostly potatoes and milk - but did they live long healthy lives? - I doubt it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Dalceridae wrote: »
    I'm not defending a fad diet here, but people can live off almost entirely potatoes.

Pre-Famine, the bulk of the poor Irish population lived almost entirely off potatoes and milk. Your average Irish person was very poor and didn't have access to even other vegetables for the most part (aside from what was scavenged). The introduction of the potato to Ireland is one of the main reasons the population grew so much in a relatively short period of time, especially given that potatoes could be grown cheaply (more info here). Even today Ireland hasn't regained the pre-Famine population level.

...which isn't to say that the potato diet today is anything other than a fad, but it is viable (if you want to live like an incredibly poor Irish peasant in the 18th century I suppose).

I think this is pretty well known, yes. However, milk has protein and fat, which is one of the things lacking on the diet, and they would occasionally get bits of other vegetables (things like cabbage) and fish.

But certainly I don't happen to think one couldn't live on the diet (people have lived on worse diets), I just think it's not particularly healthy to do so, and a diet that makes you not eat because you are pretending you have no options and will not be that interested in eating given that it's only potatoes doesn't strike me as healthy either, or long term realistic or sustainable.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member

Yes, I'd like to see the studies showing that a HCLF plant based diet cured diabetes.

Choked on my yogurt reading this. High carb curing diabetes... that's amusing.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member

Yes, I'd like to see the studies showing that a HCLF plant based diet cured diabetes.

Amusing but my friend is on a vegan high carb low fat diet managing her diabetes not CURING as thats not a thing.
    Its not AS effective as LCHF but it is an option for those who don't like keto.
  • PrizePopple

Amusing but my friend is on a vegan high carb low fat diet managing her diabetes not CURING as thats not a thing.

And she's likely and exception and not the norm when it comes to managing diabetes via high carb. Since by definition it is a spike in blood sugar from the body being unable to process excess carbohydrates. My question would also be what is "high carb" for her? Because high carb for her may be normal for someone else. How many grams of fiber is she getting per day? How many grams of sugar? Whole grains? It all makes a difference.

I know my mother would never be able to, and that's how she became insulin dependent. She couldn't/didn't keep her weight or carb intake in check and her issues worsened. I was exhibiting signs of PCOS that would have indicated much higher androgen levels and being well into being pre-diabetic. I was barely insulin resistant by the numbers, and my androgens also tested in the normal range. So I focus my carbs on hitting my fiber goal (to manage colon issues and a partial colectomy 2 years ago) and after that I don't worry about getting a magical number for carbs. But I'm sure as hell not going to tempt fate or piss off my GP and Endo by going against their advice.
  • leanjogreen18

And she's likely and exception and not the norm when it comes to managing diabetes via high carb. Since by definition it is a spike in blood sugar from the body being unable to process excess carbohydrates. My question would also be what is "high carb" for her? Because high carb for her may be normal for someone else. How many grams of fiber is she getting per day? How many grams of sugar? Whole grains? It all makes a difference.

I know my mother would never be able to, and that's how she became insulin dependent. She couldn't/didn't keep her weight or carb intake in check and her issues worsened. I was exhibiting signs of PCOS that would have indicated much higher androgen levels and being well into being pre-diabetic. I was barely insulin resistant by the numbers, and my androgens also tested in the normal range. So I focus my carbs on hitting my fiber goal (to manage colon issues and a partial colectomy 2 years ago) and after that I don't worry about getting a magical number for carbs. But I'm sure as hell not going to tempt fate or piss off my GP and Endo by going against their advice.

That I can't answer.

I don't pretend to know anything about diabetes. I just know she is managing it on a vegan low fat diet, by recommendation of her physician.
  • PrizePopple

That I can't answer.

I don't pretend to know anything about diabetes. I just know she is managing it on a vegan low fat diet, by recommendation of her physician.

Well, since I do know about it as I have multiple family members with it, and have to keep my own health in check to avoid it... I'm highly skeptical. Maybe it's just that high carb for her simply means high for someone with diabetes and not high for a healthy non-diabetic.
  • Christine_72

That I can't answer.

Well, since I do know about it as I have multiple family members with it, and have to keep my own health in check to avoid it... I'm highly skeptical. Maybe it's just that high carb for her simply means high for someone with diabetes and not high for a healthy non-diabetic.

I'd worry that a high carb diet may eventually catch up with a diabetic.. But as already mentioned, how high is this person actually eating??
  • leanjogreen18

That I can't answer.

I'd worry that a high carb diet may eventually catch up with a diabetic.. But as already mentioned, how high is this person actually eating??

No idea as I said. She's eating a vegan low fat. She has salads and steamed veggies, tofu when available when we go out to eat together. Will it catch up, maybe I don't know. I do know there is a link on the ADA to the vegan low fat diet which she provided to me when I mentioned her diet on these boards and got a little push back.

Honestly I have no dog in this fight. All I know is she hated KETO, she was recommended a different diet (which I would hate equally as much as KETO:)) since she couldn't adhere.

I tried to get her to get an account here to talk about her experiences but she is kinda weird, she was raised on a farm in Texas she is a meat eater at heart. Being vegan is a medical necessity in her mind and not something she espouses.
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    There are Doctors (Neil Barnard, John McDougall and Dean Ornish) claiming to have reversed diabetes with a whole food plant-based protocol with documentation published in medical journals (the Lancet and the ADA journal) I have personally seen this only twice. A friend in Washington reversed his Type 1 Diabetes within six weeks using this program. He hasn't needed insulin injections for over 19 years. I reversed type 2 diabetes in a month with the same protocol.
  • leanjogreen18
    Respectfully, because you haven't seen it or don't know someone managing on a certain diet doesn't mean it can't happen. The ADA itself has an article on a low fat vegan diet helping.

A low carb high fat diet is superior, I'm certainly not going to debate that, it's just appears there are other options.

I'm going to bow out of this discussion because I really don't have a dog in this fight so to speak. I mentioned it solely based on a personal friends experience, however I've realized it's just not a significant enough to bring up again.

Best!!
  • Christine_72
    The ADA also recommends diet soda. I'll bet my bottom dollar this will change within the next 10 years..
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited January 2017
    The ADA also recommends diet soda. I'll bet my bottom dollar this will change within the next 10 years..
    As well as recommending a diet of 55% or more carbohydrate for diabetics... Lets hope that changes too, since the science simply doesn't support it.

I think I need to bow out as well, as we've gone off-topic and this doesn't seem to be about the "Potato Diet" anymore.

I think we all realize a Potato-only diet is really lacking from a nutritional and enjoyment standpoint. :smiley:

• Christine_72
    As well as recommending a diet of 55% or more carbohydrate for diabetics... Lets hope that changes too, since the science simply doesn't support it.

I think I need to bow out as well, as we've gone off-topic and this doesn't seem to be about the "Potato Diet" anymore.

I think we all realize a Potato-only diet is really lacking from a nutritional and enjoyment standpoint. :smiley:

Yes, many diabetics on here are disgusted by the ADA's recommendations.

I don't know why i entered the diabetic convo either lol I'm no where near diabetic, but i have many friends on here who are, from whom I've learned a lot.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

That I can't answer.

The WFPB types claim and present anecdotes of success with T2D with their low fat high carb diets (usually something like 10-15% fat, 10-15% protein, 70-80% carb). Yes, it's very high fiber (all WFPB diets are), and they don't count ratios so this is a rough estimate.

I am not saying it works -- I'm not that interested in T2D and haven't read the studies -- but this is the claim.