I feel weird when ppl talk about my weight loss

Options
lady_ghost
lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
You would think I would be proud but it makes me uncomfortable. I don't like all that attention. I think I still feel the shame of letting myself get so fat in the first place. I hated it when ppl talked about how big I got but I hate it more now when ppl go on about how thin I've gotten. Does this make sense?

Replies

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Depending on what's being said you could say something along the lines of "Thank you for the compliment but my body isn't up for discussion."
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I hate it because it makes me the center of attention and I have to answer all sorts of questions without sounding like I should be hospitalized for an ED.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    SEE, IT DOESNT BOTHER ME. I KNOW I LOOK NICE. IM PROUD OF THAT. AND IF EXPLAINING HOW I DID IT, HELPS SOMEONE TO SEE THEY DONT NEED PILLS OR SHAKES OR OTHER PSUEDO CRAP TO LOSE WEIGHT ON THEIR OWN ... I THINK THATS AWESOME.

sorry caps. not retyping it LOL
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    It could be worse. People who didnt know you when you were larger could make all those comments about being you being lucky to be slim or you having a fast metabolism or good genes.

When you've been restricting or just monitoring and being vigilant to stop at one treat etc.- its not luck, or genetics or metabolism, its self- control. Its gets very annoying.

Add to that for me being just under 5ft people are judgeing how much i eat, what size i wear and what i weigh aginst thier own 5ft4-6 standards and making comments. At my height, size 0/00 is in proportion and not too skinny. Grrrr...
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, but take a moment and be proud of yourself! Accept the compliment then change the subject to something else.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I meet an old chum who is still trying to wrap their head around my transformation, I smile and graciously accept the compliment. If I sense some lingering jealousy, I tell them it was very, very hard and it took years. It does not diminish my accomplishment that way and it also takes them off the hook.

Accepting compliments I believe is important towards body acceptance.

I don't tolerate diet advice or intrusive questions about how I did it. (Except on MFP. You guys get it). If asked directly I offer a minimum of information and change the subject.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @ferderickt911 I've been asked if I have cancer. I smile and say, "No, it's all good!"
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying, but take a moment and be proud of yourself! Accept the compliment then change the subject to something else.

It becomes a problem when the people complementing won't shut up about it when asked.
  • thelatecomer
    thelatecomer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've had a few positive comments, a few statements "you've lost loads of weight" and just one "you need to stop now, you're too thin" (I weigh 10st and am a UK Size 12 FFS). I wouldn't expect someone to comment how fat I was so why acquaintances think it's ok to comment on my weight now, I'm not sure.