Peoples opinions on buying Fitbit or not????

I am debating whether to buy a Fitbit charge 2

Or just to save my money and not bother are they good and worth the money or not??

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It all depends on what you want. If all you want to do is count steps your phone can do that.

The Fitbit app is a little more social and you can set up challenges and badges for yourself.
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    I have lost a lot of weight without one. But I think I may get one simply because it seems like a fun gadget to have.
  • jgnatca
    I have a daily goal of 6,000 steps and it sure is gratifying to get a buzz at about noon every day when I hit my goal.
  • lisa_roberts
    lisa_roberts Posts: 176 Member
    I want it for my steps counter as phone is not accurate enough I want it for the heart rate as interested to know what it is at certain times when I feel sick and I want it for the sleep pattern. Xx
  • jgnatca
    @lisa_roberts if you want it for all those things go whole hog. Go ahead and get the Charge2.
  • LulaicaLoses
    LulaicaLoses Posts: 36 Member
    I've liked having my flex since I can track my activity through the day. I'm planning to upgrade to the Alta though for some of the newer features that mine doesn't have (the watch and notification push would both be nice features to have at work). I also connect with friends and family so we can motivate each other to move more.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    I've had a fitbit zip for about 3 years and was happy with it but this Christmas I upped to a fitbit charge2. I love it. I'm a gadget person though and I like that it reminds me to get up and move on the hour and tracks my sleep along with my steps. It buzzes me when I meet my goals.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    I love mine. I had vivoactive hr, but garmin day calculations are very unreliable. I returned it and went back to fitbit.

go for it!
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    In my opinion it's not worth it. All it does is count how many times you swing your arms in a day not your steps. You aren't going to get any device that will accurately track your steps. If you want something that accurately reads your heart rate then you should probably go with something that has a chest strap and only use it for workouts, as those HRM are made to only be used for workouts. I have been told that the Fitbit's heart rate part is very inaccurate and when it tells you a calorie burn it is way off from what your calorie burn actually is. All I have seen that it is good for is to use it as a smartphone. I honestly don't see the point, my HRM should be a HRM not a phone. I don't need to read my emails and answer my phone during a workout.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    I had a fitbit charge, loved it...then my dog ate it. I just got a fitbit blaze...I love it. It gets me off my butt. I love how you can compete ( friendly) it gives me reminders. I think its worth it. But, thats my opinion...and you know what they say about those. Let me know if you get one, we can be fitbit friends :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I've had a Garmin Vivosmart and thought the software was *kitten*. Overcounted calories and did a bunch of other weird stuff. But I wanted a waterproof one than sync'd here so I bought a VivoActive hr. Much better. Calorie burn seems about 20% overstated for a treadmill run when compare to a chest strap, which is closer than the Vivosmart was (probably 40-50% overstated). Heart rate much closer to the strap. And far more flexible in what it can track.

Downside to Garmin is they don't have the same social network that Fitbit does. But, for me, that's not an issue. Might be a bigger issue for others who are more into social media stuff than I am.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Not a fan. It's way too inaccurate after owning a BodyMedia FIT (R.I.P). It's also very uncomfortable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    I have the Flex and am probably getting the Charge 2 just because it has a clock. :D

I only use my Fitbit for one main reason.............to see if I'm being active.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member

Or just to save my money and not bother are they good and worth the money or not??

the fitbit doesn't count right you can get 1000s of steps without taking a step in all day
    That's because it's taking in to consideration your BMR. It's why you put your stats in.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited January 2017
    Love my Fitbit(s). I've had 3 over the years, currently a Charge HR. Whatever its step and HR accuracy, it does accurately predict my TDEE and I lose as predicted when I eat to its numbers.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

the fitbit doesn't count right you can get 1000s of steps without taking a step in all day
    That's because it's taking in to consideration your BMR. It's why you put your stats in.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They said steps. Nothing to do with BMR. No idea if it is true or not, but if it is showing steps when the person has not taken a step all day, that's an issue.