Took my snowshoes for a walk - 1,900 calories (pics)

Options
2»

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Wow beautiful! So glad no one was hurt until the accident and super cool that you all still went for the hike despite the hold up :) that is commitment!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Awesome photos, thanks for posting.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Wophie wrote: »
    Beautiful photos, I'm very jealous, we have nowhere like this in the UK. Glad you and your friends were safe and could continue to have a good day!

Wow. You've never been in the mountains in the snow in the UK? You must be young....
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Nope, that kind of winter is not for me! Driving in that weather seems like a nightmare, the cold would kill me, and all the pretty trees in the world wouldn't convince me to live there.
    I've had one seriously cold winter experience (Sweden in January), and I'm glad I did it, but once was enough.
    It's going to be almost 30c outside today, clear and sunny, that's my kind of weather!

Thanks for sharing your pics though, I can certainly appreciate the beauty of the forest in the snow, as long as I don't have to be there in person!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow! A memorable day in every way imaginable!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OP: I've got a VooDoo Blue FJ like the one you were in and it would have been embarrassing (but not impossible) to get stuck driving it in the snow or whatever.

Glad no one was hurt in the spin out.

I also have a nice pair of Atlas snowshoes and Keen insulated boots that I need to use. Was thinking about driving up to Tahoe to do so but it's too crazy to drive up there around Xmas & New Years, so that'll have to wait til later.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Crescent Moon Gold 12 (running) showshoes and some La Sportiva GTX trail runners--I can't wait until we get a little bit more snow here in New England so I can go out in them!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Those pictures in the woods are breathtaking. Are you a photographer?
  • mo135
    mo135 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great pictures! Snowshoeing (or snowshoe carrying) is great exercise, and there's no better place to do it than in the Cascades. Just watch out for the tree wells. In past years we've gone up from Paradise (Mt. Rainier), and on the closed forest service road just past Crystal Mountain.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Such a beautiful, alien vista

I need to travel more ..I've never even seen a snowshoe
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    We've got almost enough snow to go snowshoeing......I can't wait.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Wophie wrote: »
    Beautiful photos, I'm very jealous, we have nowhere like this in the UK. Glad you and your friends were safe and could continue to have a good day!

Have you never been to Scotland?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Beautiful pictures and glad that everyone is OK. Aaaah snow! something that I really like to see in pictures ONLY .
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Went for a short jaunt with mine today. But put them on my feet :)
    About 40 mins and almost 500 calories. Definitely harder then just going for a walk.

Just the cheap Costco ones. Probably the easiest place to return them as well if I didn't like them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    We had so much snow in 2014...for Christmas last year my mother and brother both got snow shoes, but we didn't have the right conditions to use them. Maybe this year!

Thanks for sharing the pics - they were great!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous shots. We go on walks on trails in the woods near us all summer but I've never considered doing it in the winter. I'm inspired.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My honey got me cross country skis for my birthday (Fischer RCR Crown, Swix Star racing poles, Solomon boots). I'll probably never snowshoe again! :smile:

Here are some more pics, this time without the slowshoes.

31914633055_2870485626_o_d.jpg

31767007222_76f8ec463f_o_d.jpg

31797932321_8cd23764f2_o_d.jpg

31767414702_bb35660133_z_d.jpg

31767007292_0512a80a34_o_d.jpg

And two more from night skiing in Mazama.

31914633475_ba73e004bf_o_d.jpg

31914633435_191f547f6b_o_d.jpg

Winter is seriously beautiful, no matter how you approach it.