Peoples opinions on buying Fitbit or not????

Replies

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2017
    I've had all of the non-HR models and really love my Alta right now. I'm miss having the stair tracking feature my charge had, but I like the smaller wristband.

I would say it isn't for people who don't like tech or aren't going to change what they do even if they see the data right in front of them, but it works great if you want to be nudged into more activity and you are willing to invest a little time and energy in learning how to use it.

I think it's great for figuring out your TDEE and it has completely changed how I feel about getting in that extra activity. I never send someone to get something for me anymore if I can get some steps doing it myself!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    I really love my Fitbit One..... it is very accurate for me! Been wearing the same one for 2.5 years, will probably get another One when this one dies.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I've had a fitbit for nearly 3 years, It has definitely motivated me. I went from averaging 2-3k steps a day up to 15-25k every day. I dont know how many mph i walk, but i average 130 steps per minute.

I also love how it automatically syncs straight to MFP, set and forget.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 838 Member
    edited January 2017
    DW and I have used fitbit for a couple of years now. When one unit did fail, the company replaced it free of charge - even picked up the return shipping.

Quality company, fitbit.

Would make a great acquisition for Underarmour, just in case anyone there is listening. Ahem.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I use an Apple Watch, but regardless of what you choose, a tracker can be a big motivator in being more active. Do it!

Me too, and the activity app option on the Apple Watch is one of the main factors that I put it on as soon as I get out of bed everyday. If you are someone who will be motivated by having a target to reach (steps, calories etc) then go for it. There is no tracker that will magically make you fitter or thinner but if you like stats and goals then it's worth a try.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    edited January 2017
    I have never met someone who owns a fit bit who is more fit than they would be if they did not own one. So unless you just like the way they look as an accessory or a cool bracelet save your money
  • dsherbank
    dsherbank Posts: 1 Member
    I just got the Garmin Vivoactive HR and I love it. Tracks all my calories burnt and workoutS heartrates helps me stay concious of what I eat and built in GPS and even is water proof and tracks swimming. Best Christmas gift ever
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    I've had a Fitbit One for 18 months and I love it. I find it really motivational and I find myself feeling accountable to it to go and hit my 10,000 steps. In fact, if I walk somewhere and it's not logged, I feel I've missed out!

The app is great and I have it linked to MFP. I lost all my baby weight after my first child using this combination. I'd love a higher spec Fitbit, but I can't wear it to work so I'll stick with the One.

My partner laughed and said I'd wasted my money, but he is impressed by how it motivates me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2017
    I have my Fitbit since 2013 and it definately has helped me maintain my weight loss - it keeps me moving more in general, I like to see high steps each day and having it makes knowing my TDEE effortless.

I am petite and I love that I can eat around 2000 cals+ and maintain my weight.

Anything that encourages us to keep active is a good buy imo.

I have the Fitbit One, had two Flexes but they bit the dust both within warranty and customer services sent me the One instead. Have it 2 years now with no issues whatsover and I like that its hidden (in my bra). The wrist worn trackers are inclined to rack up steps for just arm movements - I type alot for my work and I used to gain 1000's 'steps' when I wore the Flex.

Before I had Fitbit I have no clue what steps I did in a day, perhaps 5000? certainly not much more...now I average 15k.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    I had a Fitbit One but upgraded recently to the Fitbit Flex 2. I have the nudge notifications on to remind me to get up and move to hit my step target and I love that the Flex 2 will automatically detect various activities such as running, cycling, and swimming. I routinely use it for sleep tracking as well. However, I do not eat back any exercise calories burnt because I'm aware they can be grossly inaccurate. If my calorie count is within budget for the day, I'm just happy that I've had a super good day with the exercise on top as well.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I have a Charge 2; it indeed has a HRM. I had the Charge HR for over a year before I upgraded. I love mine. I don't get the crazy amounts of false steps some people claim to get nor do I receive the grossly overestimated TDEE that some people claim to receive. It got me from 139 pounds down to 107 pounds, back up to 118 after a much needed bulk, and back down to 113 where I am now. I don't need it, no, but I have it, I enjoy using it, and it keeps me motivated.

I totally agree, I had the zip for 3 years it motivated me until I lost it...I slowly became unmotivated and I received a new one from fitbit and suddenly I'm motivated again. This Christmas I got the charge2. I find it accurate for me. Some people claim it adds extra steps I haven't found that as I compare it to my zip steps. If your right handed then you should use it on your non dominate left wrist. It does have a hr monitor also when compared to the hr on my bp monitor its also accurate. I totally love mine.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I bought Garmin Vivofit 2 because I wasn't sure I would use one and I love it. I think it is very accurate and definately motivates me to move. It was considerably cheaper than the Fitbit. I read somewhere that the Garmin is more accurate than the Fitbit but have never compared.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    I am debating whether to buy a Fitbit charge 2

Or just to save my money and not bother are they good and worth the money or not??

I'm not a gadget person and have never owned any kind of fitness tracker. Lost the extra weight without one and I'm now maintaining without one as well. Some people really love them but they're just not for me!
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I started MFP almost 4 years ago and didn't have a FitBit at the time, I was largely sedentary then. I was logging calories and using MFP estimates for exercise burned when I did any, and was losing weight. After about 6 months I got a FitBit Flex and was pleasantly surprised to learn that through my efforts to become more active I was averaging 10k steps/day and having the confidence of syncing the two tools together made me more comfortable eating back the exercise adjustments. I used that to lose the remainder of my weight and am now successfully maintaining fairly effortlessly because I trust the numbers and know that the total calories burned on my FitBit is what I need to not exceed. It has also demonstrated that it's possible to be a petite female over 40 with a relatively high TDEE (2200 for me) and that you don't have to be destined to eating 1200 cals to lose weight.

I upgraded to the ChargeHR about 6 months ago and like it really well even though I don't heavily rely on the HR measurements. The challenges are fun but not something I really rely on. For me the biggest selling point of these is a reasonably accurate estimate of your TDEE, for me that is much more reliable than what I got from various calculators.

Could you tell me how it works out an accurate tdee please. I am thinking of getting one for this reason but trying to understand how it works
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I started MFP almost 4 years ago and didn't have a FitBit at the time, I was largely sedentary then. I was logging calories and using MFP estimates for exercise burned when I did any, and was losing weight. After about 6 months I got a FitBit Flex and was pleasantly surprised to learn that through my efforts to become more active I was averaging 10k steps/day and having the confidence of syncing the two tools together made me more comfortable eating back the exercise adjustments. I used that to lose the remainder of my weight and am now successfully maintaining fairly effortlessly because I trust the numbers and know that the total calories burned on my FitBit is what I need to not exceed. It has also demonstrated that it's possible to be a petite female over 40 with a relatively high TDEE (2200 for me) and that you don't have to be destined to eating 1200 cals to lose weight.

I upgraded to the ChargeHR about 6 months ago and like it really well even though I don't heavily rely on the HR measurements. The challenges are fun but not something I really rely on. For me the biggest selling point of these is a reasonably accurate estimate of your TDEE, for me that is much more reliable than what I got from various calculators.

Could you tell me how it works out an accurate tdee please. I am thinking of getting one for this reason but trying to understand how it works

I don't know the science or math behind it if that's what you are asking. You enter your stats (height/weight/gender/age) and then as you wear it all day and it measures your steps (and some measure heart rate) it estimates a total calories burned which is comparable to a TDEE. I trust a device that I'm wearing that knows with some reasonable precision, what my movement is like, compared to a static website estimating it from averages.

For me the FitBit number has been accurate enough that I was able to lose weight on the schedule I wanted and am now maintaining My weight for consecutive years eating up to the calories it says I burn.

Hope that helps.
  • thielke2015

I don't know the science or math behind it if that's what you are asking. You enter your stats (height/weight/gender/age) and then as you wear it all day and it measures your steps (and some measure heart rate) it estimates a total calories burned which is comparable to a TDEE. I trust a device that I'm wearing that knows with some reasonable precision, what my movement is like, compared to a static website estimating it from averages.

For me the FitBit number has been accurate enough that I was able to lose weight on the schedule I wanted and am now maintaining My weight for consecutive years eating up to the calories it says I burn.

Hope that helps.

Sorry to bug you again, I have just been looking at these online and I want one that has a face on it that you tap to see calories burned etc. But not all the Fitbit have a face and some just have a light that shows up. Which one do you have ? And if you don't have the one with a tappable face do you have to log onto your iPhone/computer to see all of this information.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Hope that helps.

Sorry to bug you again, I have just been looking at these online and I want one that has a face on it that you tap to see calories burned etc. But not all the Fitbit have a face and some just have a light that shows up. Which one do you have ? And if you don't have the one with a tappable face do you have to log onto your iPhone/computer to see all of this information.

No problem. I have the Charge HR which does have the display on the face. Previously I had the Flex which did not. Regardless of whether it has the display on your wrist, the dashboard accessed from the phone or computer is where you would go to see the averages over time like total cals burned.

There is also a FitBit users group here on MFP and I think there are probably threads with reviews of the different models of you want some additional testimonials.
  • wowmanacat
    wowmanacat Posts: 12 Member
    I have a Garmin and I love it. I was able to get mine at Best Buy on sale for around 70 dollars. The downside is it does not track everything that you do unless your arm is moving. When I do My Shape on the x-box360 it does not work to track, but you can add it manual at the website and this is what I do.
    33579781.png
  • thielke2015

Hope that helps.

No problem. I have the Charge HR which does have the display on the face. Previously I had the Flex which did not. Regardless of whether it has the display on your wrist, the dashboard accessed from the phone or computer is where you would go to see the averages over time like total cals burned.

There is also a FitBit users group here on MFP and I think there are probably threads with reviews of the different models of you want some additional testimonials.

Where would I find the Fitbit user group? Also does the Fitbit sync with the MFP? Last question I promice