Replies

• studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    studiog608 wrote: »
    Many of the fitness models and/or competitors are on performance enhancing drugs. These drugs give them quicker recovery and faster strength gains....plus quick fat loss and muscle gains. Never compare yourself to them....you will end up completely frustrated and depressed.
    As far as strength....who cares. Everyone is so obsessed with how much weight they can squat, bench, or deadlift. Many end up hurt trying to lift more than they can handle....never learning proper technique.
    There was a gal at a gym I used to go to. She was young, started out skinny and couldn't lift much weight at all. Within a month, she was squating 250, benching 155 and deadlifting at least 300. Plus, she grew muscle unbelievably fast and was very lean....in a month!! One word....drugs. Back then, that made me very frustrated and I wanted to give up. I was working so hard to build my body and get some strength plus lose fat. And she did it in a month!! I figured she was on gear, especially when I heard her talk, but I was still frustrated by it. Sometimes I still get down by those types of people, cheaters. But I know that I am doing it the right way and can be proud of everything I achieveachieve, as my gains will be more honest and I can be proud of the fact I didn't have to cheat for my gains.

I find those stats unlikely within one month unless your definition of not much weight at all is pretty significant for a beginner.

Seriously, she made miraculous gains within a short period of time. Her first visit....she could barely make 5 reps with 35 pounds on each side of a seated bench press machine. At the end of the month, or a little after, 45 pound plate on each side with some dimes and nickels...same machine. Form on bench and squats was poor.....never went to chest on bench and no atg squats....almost parallel....but still, great gains....very deep voice.

So to clarify, we are not talking about actual bench press or squats?

Lol. No, not if we are talking proper form and technique. There is a couple that lifts in a local gym and they squat very heavy....yet can't make it to parallel....and they are personal trainers teaching others this way. But the pictures they take of their half squats for Facebook impress people....same with this gal. Peops were amazed at the weight she could push and pull....minus proper form. Now peops like you wouldn't be impressed as you know how to squat and bench the right way.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    But, it sounds like you are talking about using some sort of machines...
    Are they using free weights or machines?
  • studiog608
    Options
    But, it sounds like you are talking about using some sort of machines...
    Are they using free weights or machines?
    Both.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Many of the fitness models and/or competitors are on performance enhancing drugs. These drugs give them quicker recovery and faster strength gains....plus quick fat loss and muscle gains. Never compare yourself to them....you will end up completely frustrated and depressed.
    As far as strength....who cares. Everyone is so obsessed with how much weight they can squat, bench, or deadlift. Many end up hurt trying to lift more than they can handle....never learning proper technique.
    There was a gal at a gym I used to go to. She was young, started out skinny and couldn't lift much weight at all. Within a month, she was squating 250, benching 155 and deadlifting at least 300. Plus, she grew muscle unbelievably fast and was very lean....in a month!! One word....drugs. Back then, that made me very frustrated and I wanted to give up. I was working so hard to build my body and get some strength plus lose fat. And she did it in a month!! I figured she was on gear, especially when I heard her talk, but I was still frustrated by it. Sometimes I still get down by those types of people, cheaters. But I know that I am doing it the right way and can be proud of everything I achieveachieve, as my gains will be more honest and I can be proud of the fact I didn't have to cheat for my gains.

I find those stats unlikely within one month unless your definition of not much weight at all is pretty significant for a beginner.

Seriously, she made miraculous gains within a short period of time. Her first visit....she could barely make 5 reps with 35 pounds on each side of a seated bench press machine. At the end of the month, or a little after, 45 pound plate on each side with some dimes and nickels...same machine. Form on bench and squats was poor.....never went to chest on bench and no atg squats....almost parallel....but still, great gains....very deep voice.

deep voice? really?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'll share a brief version of my lifting journey with you:-)

I started in 2004 doing videos and lifting 3-8lb weights. I thought it was so heavy at the time. I remember those Firm workout videos for how sore they made me. In 2006 I started rock climbing. Then everything I did for fitness was to make me a better climber. I wandered around the regular gym and did a circuit that I thought hit all my muscle groups as well as some lifting related directly to climbing. At the climbing gym, I met a guy who did Crossfit. We became buddies. I taught him all about climbing. He taught me the powerlifts, and about Crossfit. Around the same time my climbing partner started doing Crossfit and he suggested I check out his friend's affiliate. I did and I fell in love with Crossfit. At that affiliate, I received really good training and became super comfortable with a barbell. Here are my first established 1RM:
    Squat:75lb
    OHP:60lb
    Deadlift: 205lb
    Clean and Jerk: 105lb
    I continued doing Crossfit and running until 2014 when I got pregnant with my son. Here are my last and highest 1RM efforts:
    Squat: 125lb
    OHP: 83lb
    Deadlift: 210lb
    Clean and Jerk: 125lb
    Power Snatch: 95lb
    I had my son a year ago. I ran Starting Strength after doing body weight training. Here are my last set of numbers:
    Squat 3x5@105
    Bench 3x5@ 75
    OHP 3x3@ 70
    Deadlift 1x5@150
    I'm currently doing a blend of kettlebell training and barbell training. My goal is to take and pass an RKC level one course and I would love for my 1RM tests to look like this:
    Squat: 150lb
    Bench: 100lb
    OHP: 100lb
    Deadlift: 225lb
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i have seen beginner girls come to the gym and after a month or so of the right coaching they can lift those amounts (free weights not machines). Its not because they built muscle or gained strength or did drugs, its because that was their strength level when they walked through the door and only needed to be coached how to use it. They went on to lift massively more once they started building and training.

Quoted for truth. Very doable numbers for people who have the right amount of strength when they walk through the doors. If you have to gain strength, sure longer. But if all you need is a little coaching to unlock the strength, the first month can be jaw dropping.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    i have seen beginner girls come to the gym and after a month or so of the right coaching they can lift those amounts (free weights not machines). Its not because they built muscle or gained strength or did drugs, its because that was their strength level when they walked through the door and only needed to be coached how to use it. They went on to lift massively more once they started building and training.

Quoted for truth. Very doable numbers for people who have the right amount of strength when they walk through the doors. If you have to gain strength, sure longer. But if all you need is a little coaching to unlock the strength, the first month can be jaw dropping.

I am not doubting either of you at all but I am curious as to whether you would say that a woman who sees that kind of progress in a month is going to be somebody who you'd describe as "skinny" as mentioned in the first post that started this tangent. I know that skinny is a subjective term but to I am struggling with imagining a skinny woman benching 155 (likely >bodyweight) within a month of starting to lift.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

I am not doubting either of you at all but I am curious as to whether you would say that a woman who sees that kind of progress in a month is going to be somebody who you'd describe as "skinny" as mentioned in the first post that started this tangent. I know that skinny is a subjective term but to I am struggling with imagining a skinny woman benching 155 (likely >bodyweight) within a month of starting to lift.

If anything it's easier to imagine a "skinny" woman doing it than a heavier woman. Generally speaking, the lighter you are the easier it is to hit a body weight bench. And then go above it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

If anything it's easier to imagine a "skinny" woman doing it than a heavier woman. Generally speaking, the lighter you are the easier it is to hit a body weight bench. And then go above it.

Ah, good point!
  • studiog608
    Options
    She gained quite a bit of muscle within a month, too, which led me to believe gear might have been helping her quick gains. But oh well, to each their own. I wish I would have kept my thoughts to myself on this post. Sorry to offend anyone. Not here to fight with anyone.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    She gained quite a bit of muscle within a month, too, which led me to believe gear might have been helping her quick gains. But oh well, to each their own. I wish I would have kept my thoughts to myself on this post. Sorry to offend anyone. Not here to fight with anyone.

Chances are she probably lost some weight so her muscles became more defined and gave her the appearance of gaining muscle. Even with drugs, you don't gain muscle overnight, its a long hard process.
  • asbandr
    asbandr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I guess we all start somewhere. And just like when I originally lost weight, I knew it was going to be hard and take a long time, but every good day was a step closer to where I wanted to be. So I suppose that means every good lift is a step closer to where I want to be.

I am taking before and after pics, measurements, and a workout log to track progress.

I wish I could hire a personal trainer but my small town gym doesn't have any, and I have looked into one from a few towns away but I didn't feel like any of the ones I spoke to would help me properly. I had one that wanted me to spend my entire workout on a treadmill walking to "get my body used to working out." I'm 120 lbs and I ran 2 miles 4-5 days a week. I think that's starting off extremely slow. I would just like to have someone help me make sure I have proper form.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    No one who works at the gym is a trainer or can check your form? Can you get a workout buddy to watch you or take video/pictures of your lifts?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    asbandr wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I guess we all start somewhere. And just like when I originally lost weight, I knew it was going to be hard and take a long time, but every good day was a step closer to where I wanted to be. So I suppose that means every good lift is a step closer to where I want to be.

I am taking before and after pics, measurements, and a workout log to track progress.

I wish I could hire a personal trainer but my small town gym doesn't have any, and I have looked into one from a few towns away but I didn't feel like any of the ones I spoke to would help me properly. I had one that wanted me to spend my entire workout on a treadmill walking to "get my body used to working out." I'm 120 lbs and I ran 2 miles 4-5 days a week. I think that's starting off extremely slow. I would just like to have someone help me make sure I have proper form.

Join @SideSteel 's MFP Group Eat, Train, Progress. Not only is there a lot of good information there, they also have a "form check" thread where you can upload videos of your lifts and get critique from experienced trainers/lifters.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    There is a new rules of fitness for women group as well- very supportive.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Side Steel also does online/video training for distance clients, I believe.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest finding someone to do an online/video consultation, if there's really no one that you can go to for a one-off session to check your form and give you more confidence with your lifts.

Also, search for ladies lifting facebook groups, there are definitely some out there who would support you.

Try not to compare yourself to those girls you mentioned, they are mostly fitness body builders who do some power lifting. Also, they do nothing else but eat/train/make a video/sleep. If you could spend all day, every day focusing on fitness then I've no doubt you'd make great progress but you've got a life to live as well, yes?

Don't give up, keep lifting and enjoy yourself, the progress will come with consistency.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that all the women you mentioned have been training for YEARS.
    I have goals in strength and aesthetics, I look at it as doing what I can to improve myself daily (doing my best with my workouts and diet), but knowing that the results I'm aiming for are going to take a long time to achieve. There's a reason you don't see a ton of women (and even men) looking like them or lifting super heavy. It takes a LONG time to get to that level.
    Let them inspire you, but don't compare to them!