Weight Loss While Battling Depression?

Options
fara180
fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
So I'm hoping maybe some of you could give me a little insight/advice on this topic.

In 2016, I got hit with some unpleasant real life situations (breakup, lost my job, had to move in with my sister and basically become a leach) etc. I gained quite a bit of weight because of it and I'm having a hard time motivating myself to lose the weight. Partially, I think it's because I don't think I "look bad," and I'm pretty body positive, but I DO want to be healthier and weigh what I used to when I was happier.

I'm depressed in a way that I've never been before...I'm sedentary. I literally can sleep all day without any issues and still feel tired for the duration of when I'm awake. And it's making motivation for weightloss really difficult. Everyone I know says "Just do it. Just make yourself get up and do it" (it being exercise/eating right) and that used to work but now...it doesn't.

I do have a dog, so that is motivation to get up and go outside for her walks. And I feel good about myself when I take her on longer than usual walks, but that's the extent of my exercise.

Anyone have any tips on making yourself get out of bed when you feel this way?

Replies

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    You have to want to and motivate yourself. No one can do that for you no matter how much advice you get. Clearly you don't like feeling the way you do so make the effort for yourself. You will more than likely regret staying in bed all day but I'm sure you will NOT regret forcing yourself to get up and be active. When I'm depressed, it helps me if I make an effort look better. I take a shower, get dressed, put on some makeup, do my hair and try to look my best every day. Even if I have no where to go, I'll still look presentable. When I look likeshit all day and mope around in pajamas that's a recipe for deeper depression.

p.s. By your own admission, you became a "leach". Stop it. Start looking for another job. Having to financially depend on other people (even if it's family) is also pretty depressing.

okay that's my 2 cents. Good luck to you.
  • FFeric
    FFeric Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    One way I find motivation to work out is to join a group or team based fitness activity. You say you get up and take your dog for walks; that's because you know she is counting on you to do something so that she is happy. If you are still at the point where the act of doing something to benefit yourself alone isn't motivating enough, maybe having someone else who needs your company might be. We play ultimate frisbee a lot at my work. A lot of guys who wouldn't normally spend an hour working out find themselves jogging up and down the field. While joining an ultimate frisbee league is probably not a realistic option, the point is that if you feel like part of a team or a group, that sense of belonging can motivate you until the routine becomes "yours." Maybe you can find someone on here that is in your area to help you. Best of luck!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure I can motivate you, but please be assured you are not the only one with this problem. People telling someone with depression to just do it, don't understand. When you are at the bottom as it appears you may be right now it's very hard to pull yourself up. I have varying degrees of depression and when I was at my worst I finally talked to my doctor. I was on anti-depressives for about a year and went off them when I decided I didn't like that they made me feel kind of unemotional, every day was the same, not depressed, but not happy either. Fast forward a few years, I still deal with depression, but I am able (for now) to manage it with abundant exercise, mostly hiking and walking with my dog. I still have problems getting motivated to do much else. Being social is supposed to help, but I find that hard as well. All this being said, depression is an illness which from my understanding is usually caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain. Don't be afraid to discuss this with your doctor if you don't improve. Admitting that you have a problem to someone who can help is the first step.
    I have managed over the past year to lose 50 pounds by tracking my intake, making sure that on days that I am not motivated to hike I don't eat more than I should. That alone, gets me off the couch at times when I don't want to. Losing weight has helped. I like myself more.
  • FFeric
    FFeric Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Rocknut, that's really impressive that you have managed to lose 50 pounds while battling depression. What prescription were you taking that made you feel like a zombie, if you don't mind me asking? Talking to a counselor is a huge step in my mind, unfortunately not everyone has means to go to one, and finding the right one can be such a difficult step.

Depression sucks because there's a social stigma about it talking about it or asking for help, and people that really love you want to "fix" you in a week. If only it were that simple.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    The commenters above have nailed it, but I thought I'd stop in just to give another voice to the positive vibes here!

I have suffered depression on and off my entire adult life, sometimes it's worse than others - stress is certainly a massive factor for me personally in the onset of symptoms.

A few years ago, I lost 40Ibs whilst just trying to survive! What I found was the eventually, the exercise itself became enough for me to stabilise my symptoms (major events not included!). The routine, the knowledge of what to expect and of course, the natural release of endorphins and serotonin was a massive factor. Naturally, the hardest part is getting started.

Firstly - you're not alone. There are people all around you, even if it's via a site like this that you can reach out to and help to normalise your situation, it doesn't seem so scary that way.

Secondly - as @fitRTs says - establish a network of support. Your dog is fantastic for this, likewise, MFP can be a great forum to lean on, or, if you can face it, go for walks in public places.

Thirdly - start off small. Set a goal for yourself, such as extending the walks by 2, 3, 5 minutes a time and then just keep adding to this. Or, if the issue is getting out of bed, make a goal to go and brush your teeth. If you think of the energy you have in units or as a currency, try to budget your energy - on low energy days doing less, on higher energy days doing more.

And finally - take your time. Someone said above that this needs to be something you do for you, and I couldn't agree more. You're sick of feeling this way, so try and work out what it is you need to change. How will you go about it? What steps do you need to take to achieve this? What makes you feel unmotivated? Is it that you feel you have no purpose? Or that nothing is worth the effort? Dig down and around and feel within yourself what YOU need to do for YOU. Accept this is where you are now and decide where you want to go. You say you're a leech - why? Are you assuming that you have "forced" yourself upon your sister? Because in that, you're taking away the external responsibility of other people, it was her choice to take you in and I'm sure she just wants the best for you. Look at all of the factors that are "your" fault, and reevaluate in light of understanding other people have choices too - is it still the same? With depression we internalise. Everything. Try to shine a light on this habit - a professional counsellor may be the way to go to help you explore.

Most of all, good luck. I wish you only the best on your journey!
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    FFeric wrote: »
    Rocknut, that's really impressive that you have managed to lose 50 pounds while battling depression. What prescription were you taking that made you feel like a zombie, if you don't mind me asking? Talking to a counselor is a huge step in my mind, unfortunately not everyone has means to go to one, and finding the right one can be such a difficult step.

Depression sucks because there's a social stigma about it talking about it or asking for help, and people that really love you want to "fix" you in a week. If only it were that simple.

I was taking citalopram (sp?).
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    FFeric wrote: »

I was taking citalopram (sp?).

Had this stuff before, really felt like a zombie on it too - it took away everything. In some ways I think it made things worse.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    fara180 wrote: »
    So I'm hoping maybe some of you could give me a little insight/advice on this topic.

In 2016, I got hit with some unpleasant real life situations (breakup, lost my job, had to move in with my sister and basically become a leach) etc. I gained quite a bit of weight because of it and I'm having a hard time motivating myself to lose the weight. Partially, I think it's because I don't think I "look bad," and I'm pretty body positive, but I DO want to be healthier and weigh what I used to when I was happier.

I'm depressed in a way that I've never been before...I'm sedentary. I literally can sleep all day without any issues and still feel tired for the duration of when I'm awake. And it's making motivation for weightloss really difficult. Everyone I know says "Just do it. Just make yourself get up and do it" (it being exercise/eating right) and that used to work but now...it doesn't.

I do have a dog, so that is motivation to get up and go outside for her walks. And I feel good about myself when I take her on longer than usual walks, but that's the extent of my exercise.

Anyone have any tips on making yourself get out of bed when you feel this way?

Weight loss: focus on meals, not exercise.

When you are in this state, you are naturally leaning toward what exerts the least amount of energy.

So make that work for you. Get a meal prep service. Even if that meal prep service is soup in a can.

As for exercise, make your goal to get in the shower and make your bed.

That's it. Think one step at a time.

Don't think, I have to shower and make my bed and do xyz.

Think, I have to put one foot on the floor. Putting the other on on the floor is easier when one foot is already on it. Once both feet are on the floor, get up and get to the shower. Do not sit on the toilet. Take a shower.

Do not get dressed - put on a towel or robe, and make your bed. Then get dressed.

You won for the day, because you are now probably ready to do something besides sleep.

Best wishes to you.

• Rocknut53
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    People have said the rest, blah blah and so forth.

But ultimately a hobby or working out is the perfect medication.

You've obviously had no personal experience with depression. Your input is not helpful to OP.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options

You've obviously had no personal experience with depression. Your input is not helpful to OP.

I disagree. I once was at a craft store, and it had a little tin for sale that said crafting is cheaper than therapy.

Plus, exercise is as effective as medication for depression.

People don't like to hear that, because it's very hard for a depressed person to get started, but it is.
  • Rocknut53
    Options

I'm a Therapist. I've worked with people and lived with it myself more than you could ever conceive.

So before you insult me, know who you are talking to.

I agreed the rest said this or that with speaking with a doctor. I work personally along side one.

It's okay you are wrong in your assumption.....I'm use to that with most people.

Ok, my assumption was wrong, however, for you to suggest simply that a hobby or exercise is the perfect medication is making the assumption that someone who is depressed can make that leap to pursue those activities. You know as well as I that it's more difficult than that. Since you are a "therapist" you may have been more helpful had you expounded on just what steps the OP could take to begin the process of helping herself instead of feeling insulted at my assumptions about you.
  • Rocknut53
    Options

I disagree. I once was at a craft store, and it had a little tin for sale that said crafting is cheaper than therapy.

Plus, exercise is as effective as medication for depression

People don't like to hear that, because it's very hard for a depressed person to get started, but it is.

If you read my first post you would have noticed I said that abundant exercise has helped me keep my depression under control. I'm not denying it works, I'm addressing the difficulty in even getting started. That is where OP is right now so telling her that exercise is effective is telling her something she probably already knows.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options

If you read my first post you would have noticed I said that abundant exercise has helped me keep my depression under control. I'm not denying it works, I'm addressing the difficulty in even getting started. That is where OP is right now so telling her that exercise is effective is telling her something she probably already knows.

Speaking of reading, did YOU read my other post to her?

Maybe you should check it out.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    Jesus what works for anger?

Prayer. Lots and lots and lots of prayer.
  • Rocknut53
    Options

Yes, I did and your advice was excellent, I may use some of your tips myself, as needed. Having sat on my couch for almost a year, then contemplating suicide, I know the struggle with getting started and also know that people who aren't familiar with depression are too quick to tell someone to just get over it or just do it. The sad part is a lot of the time no one recognizes that you are having troubles because you become very adept at hiding it. The steps you outlined could be very helpful to someone open to the idea of wanting to change. I hope OP comes back and reads it and will maybe comment on whether it is helpful to her.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    edited January 2017
    Options

Yes, I did and your advice was excellent, I may use some of your tips myself, as needed. Having sat on my couch for almost a year, then contemplating suicide, I know the struggle with getting started and also know that people who aren't familiar with depression are too quick to tell someone to just get over it or just do it. The sad part is a lot of the time no one recognizes that you are having troubles because you become very adept at hiding it. The steps you outlined could be very helpful to someone open to the idea of wanting to change. I hope OP comes back and reads it and will maybe comment on whether it is helpful to her.

Michael Phelps (the most medaled Olympian in history) also struggled with suicidal thoughts. He converted to Christianity and said he finally realized he has a purpose (he read the Purpose Driven Life in rehab) - he says it brought him back from the brink.

ESPN had an interview with him. Click on the photo to watch the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVgTYmBMBD8

• Rocknut53
    Options
    Jesus what works for anger?

Exercise... (not angry, BTW)