Quest for 20 straight pull-ups

Options
One of my fitness resolutions for 2017 is to get to 20 straight pull-ups. Started yesterday with 20(total) broken into sets of 8,5,5,3=21. My plan is to up the total each week by 5 (week1-20, week2-25, week3-30, etc...) until I get up to 50 total reps on weeks 6. If I can't do 20 straight by then, I'll start adding weight in 5lb increments per week and hold the reps at 50.

Hopefully a combination of reps and losing weight will get me there. Here's Day 1.

https://youtu.be/nP2xdOV9Ax4

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A good plan. I've been doing something similar over the last few months. One thing I find helps is making those last couple of sets super slow (after all, you're only doing 3 at that point).

I make numbers based upon my current max and do 5 sets. For example, my current max is 12 so today I'm doing 11,8,8,5,4. Doing tons of volume is the way to get better at pullups, no doubt about it. Such an underappreciated exercise.

One last thing and this is a nitpick. Try to take the kip out and do a straight dead hang in between, even if it brings your numbers down. Increasing your strength throughout the range and being comfortable at the bottom of the motion will help you reach your goals faster.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The russian fighter progression is a good program to follow too. Good luck.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    A good plan. I've been doing something similar over the last few months. One thing I find helps is making those last couple of sets super slow (after all, you're only doing 3 at that point).

I make numbers based upon my current max and do 5 sets. For example, my current max is 12 so today I'm doing 11,8,8,5,4. Doing tons of volume is the way to get better at pullups, no doubt about it. Such an underappreciated exercise.

One last thing and this is a nitpick. Try to take the kip out and do a straight dead hang in between, even if it brings your numbers down. Increasing your strength throughout the range and being comfortable at the bottom of the motion will help you reach your goals faster.

I was going to suggest the same. Strict form will be harder, but will help more with strength.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    The first 5 I'll give you that it wasn't the full ROM, but I felt they got better as they went on. I didn't think I was kipping that bad though? The last rep I did, but the others my legs bend, but they aren't really propelling me up?
  • cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The best program out there is the Armstrong Pull Up Program. Without question. Pull ups are a requirement in the Marine Corps and it is the program we recommend for anyone who needs to improve their pull ups for the physical fitness test.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    The first 5 I'll give you that it wasn't the full ROM, but I felt they got better as they went on. I didn't think I was kipping that bad though? The last rep I did, but the others my legs bend, but they aren't really propelling me up?

I guess I'm just picky. It looks to me like you're going too fast and using some momentum. I'm doing mine in a bit and I'll film a set.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    The russian fighter progression is a good program to follow too. Good luck.
    The best program out there is the Armstrong Pull Up Program. Without question. Pull ups are a requirement in the Marine Corps and it is the program we recommend for anyone who needs to improve their pull ups for the physical fitness test.

Checking both of these out. Thanks guys.
  • rybo
    Options

I guess I'm just picky. It looks to me like you're going too fast and using some momentum. I'm doing mine in a bit and I'll film a set.

You aren't being picky, his form could definitely use some cleaning up.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

This. Good luck!
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options

You aren't being picky, his form could definitely use some cleaning up.

Yep, but I don't want to discourage him. It's a great idea to get better at pullups for anyone.
  • singletrackmtbr
    edited January 2017
    Options
    For the life of me I can't upload this file. It's a pretty small mp4 file. I keep getting the message "file not allowed."

• Cylphin60
    Options
    For the life of me I can't upload this file. It's a pretty small mp4 file. I keep getting the message "file not allowed."

You might need to host it somewhere first and then embed or link it. I've only been able to upload photos directly, never a video.
  • singletrackmtbr
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Good idea. Critics welcome:
    https://youtu.be/exntDeb_uMc
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Good idea. Critics welcome:
    Jeez dude - I thought my form was good. dammit you're making me get back to work here :/

Honestly, looked about perfect to me. I'm not a pro though...
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    Thanks, I need to work on keeping my legs still as I get tired.
  • Cylphin60
    Options

That's my issue right there. I'm forcing myself to just stop when I can't resist the urge to kick a bit. It is getting easier as I get a bit leaner too, but the leg movement needs to stop.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    I don't mind a little movement to get out a few extra reps but it has to be small without extra momentum.
  • rybo
    Options
    Those are almost too strict if that's possible. lol

I couldn't quite tell how much room you are short on the bottom, it didn't appear to be much, I'm wondering if you could hold a hollow body that would allow your legs to be straight and still maybe not hit the ground? You'd get a ton of extra core work
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    Those are almost too strict if that's possible. lol

I couldn't quite tell how much room you are short on the bottom, it didn't appear to be much, I'm wondering if you could hold a hollow body that would allow your legs to be straight and still maybe not hit the ground? You'd get a ton of extra core work

Not much room at the bottom (about a foot or so from where my feet are: I have monkey arms). I hear what you're saying but I'd rather separate my core work from the pullups, which to me are meant to accomplish only one thing.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

That's my issue right there. I'm forcing myself to just stop when I can't resist the urge to kick a bit. It is getting easier as I get a bit leaner too, but the leg movement needs to stop.

I wouldn't stop because of a little leg movement, as long as it's for only the last few reps. If it's all the reps I would focus on negatives (you can't kick during a negative), or even doing slow ones with an assist band (there's no shame in it, that's how I got started). Good luck!