Saying no to the office snackies?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Oh man, I wouldn't eat any of those. I saw Sandy sneezing on them earlier. :lol:

Seriously though, I find these things less tempting if my own eating is in check. If I have a decent lunch that both tastes great and fills me, along with a midday snack, then the office treats don't bother me. Although I will occasionally grab something, a single chocolate, or a cookie (half if it's a large one), or a half donut.
  • desean24
    desean24 Posts: 6 Member
    Hey all! It's day one back in the office after a week of vacation. Pre-holidays the office was riddled with Christmas baking, 12 days of dip, office parties, drinks ETC ETC ETC!

Now, we're back in the office and the snackies have continued-- ferrero rochers, toffiffee, pot of gold, peanut butter balls, butter tarts, pound cake and rice crispy squares all sit in the communal kitchen just waiting to be eaten.

What are your strategies to not giving in to those strong temptations too often ?
    Hey all! It's day one back in the office after a week of vacation. Pre-holidays the office was riddled with Christmas baking, 12 days of dip, office parties, drinks ETC ETC ETC!

Now, we're back in the office and the snackies have continued-- ferrero rochers, toffiffee, pot of gold, peanut butter balls, butter tarts, pound cake and rice crispy squares all sit in the communal kitchen just waiting to be eaten.

What are your strategies to not giving in to those strong temptations too often ?

• desean24
    desean24 Posts: 6 Member
    No your limits, do not make rash decisions when you are on the go. Imagine eating the baked good, say it was yummy and move on. The worst you could do is walk past and not accepting the want you have for it. In the end you may crave it even more!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I usually don't eat things random co-workers have cooked as I don't know the cleanliness of their kitchens, but based on how they kept their work area, I made the right decision.

That part.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I have a really sweet tooth so it's always hard to say no to chocolates, sweets, and biscuits (it doest help that the kitchen is in my office) I have started bringing extra fruit to work with me. Then if I am really hungry I will eat my fruit. If I give in, I just make sure a log it and move in. I have found it helpful to log the snack before I eat. Once I look at the calories in a snack i will often change my mind.

I agree with that. Snacks at work don't really tempt me because I have my food for the day with me. I know I do not want to blow a lot of calories on something that I had not planned on eating. So I just tell myself I do not want it and I keep it pushing.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member

Do you really want to be eating old, stale rice crispy squares and things that people are trying to get rid of?

In addition to questioning the freshness and goodness of what's on offer there, I also tell myself that what's in the kitchen isn't mine. In my office, they often use the kitchen closest to me when they're getting things ready for a lunch meeting. I wouldn't go in and start helping myself to that ... it isn't mine. Same with random snacks ... they're not mine.

And I bring my own snacks. :)

• indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    If they're in the kitchen area at my work I just don't go in there. Or I'll make sure I have some healthy snacks on hand as well if I'm really desperate to eat. Once you start saying no it does get easier and I hardly even notice them anymore.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    First Imagine that someone with dirty hands has touched every piece.

Then I remind myself that I have come too far to take orders from a cookie or a piece of candy or whatever the craving of the moment is.

Then I come on MFP and read some of the forums that have motivational quotes.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    I always make sure to have low/zero calories snacks on hand - pickles, olives, gum, hard candies, ets... Depending on what is offered, though, I have a pretty picky appetite so I can ususally avoid it.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    This was one of my biggest problem when I started. So I made a self rule. "If I didn't bring it to work-I don't eat it".
    I make sure I bring something every day and eat it, for a morning break and a afternoon break. That way I know I wont get hungry and be tempted to give in to the other stuff others have.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I have no strategies. I just eat it all. I go out of my WAY to walk across the school and into the staff room to get them. Repeatedly. And honestly no one's suggestions help me.
  • ncoward72
    ncoward72 Posts: 4 Member
    I drink lots of water and herbal tea. That helps me to say no. What's the saying? "Five minutes on the lips is 5 lbs on the hips."
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Usually what does it for me is looking up how many calories each item has. Nope. Back away.
  • jaynerz
    jaynerz Posts: 31 Member
    One thing I used to do if I absolutely wanted something from work was I would take it to my desk and actually take it home as an after dinner snack! I would log it and say I can have it, but later. That helped me plan my day and I didn't miss out
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I have no strategies. I just eat it all. I go out of my WAY to walk across the school and into the staff room to get them. Repeatedly. And honestly no one's suggestions help me.

Ha! I appreciate your honesty !