Peoples opinions on buying Fitbit or not????

Options
123457»

Replies

• MidLifeProgress
    MidLifeProgress Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I debated getting the FitBit, but went instead with the Garmin Forerunner 235. Has all of the features of the FitBit and acts as a "Smartwatch-lite". I get notifications, alarms, etc. and it's very good at tracking steps, heart rate, sleep times and patterns, and can track your workouts. It's also very light and waterproof enough to go snorkeling or swimming with.
  • ncternl
    ncternl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started with the Fitbit Zip in 2013. It has definitely kept me aware of my activity. Just this week I upgraded to the Blaze and wished I had gotten one sooner. It is definitely worth the money. And like many above, if it indicates I am close to a goal, it edges me on to either finish my steps goal or be active for 5 more minutes. In terms of accuracy, it is incredibly accurate. I test it all the time and it has been on point so far.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's not the key to weight loss. But it sure is fun to play around with! And especially more fun when you start adding friends.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I have the Blaze (wife has the iWatch and the Blaze is much more accurate). This is my second Fitbit as I had used the Flex for a number of years.

I found the Blaze and the Flex to be very accurate. Some of us old folks cannot do the high intensity workouts, so walking is what we do. I walk, kayak and Bike ride for exercise and the Fitbits work well for me as a tool to utilizes activity.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    One thing I noticed is that some people that disliked their Fitbit actually had no idea how to use it. I remember a thread where someone thought their TDEE given by Fitbit was all extra burn from exercise so they ate all of those calories on top of the MFP allowance, gained weight, and blamed Fitbit for the gain instead of their own faulty logic. He was taking in like 6,000 calories per day and didn't even question it because "Fitbit said so" when Fitbit actually wasn't saying that at all.

Yes, definitely. I'm a member of the fitbit Alta forum, and some of the comments/questions and advice are so far off the mark and totally inaccurate that it's no wonder they complain about the fitbit "not working" for them. When in reality it's their complete misunderstanding of their device that is holding them back.
  • wanjuszczuk
    wanjuszczuk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi eveyone! I bought a Fitbit Zip last september. It's true it isn't as accurate as a garmin watch, but keeps you moving all day. Challenging you for a little bit more and more, with the badges you can win, the steps you make, it's quite motivating. As soon as I started to use it I realized I was being lazy most past of the day. I use it attached to my bra, despite it hasn't a HRM, I can control more effectively my steps instead of having it in my belt. I also downloaded FitStar trainer on Google Play and they both got me going down the scale. Only 4 more kilos and I'll be there! kisses to all community! Wanda (Argentina)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Hi eveyone! I bought a Fitbit Zip last september. It's true it isn't as accurate as a garmin watch, but keeps you moving all day. Challenging you for a little bit more and more, with the badges you can win, the steps you make, it's quite motivating. As soon as I started to use it I realized I was being lazy most past of the day. I use it attached to my bra, despite it hasn't a HRM, I can control more effectively my steps instead of having it in my belt. I also downloaded FitStar trainer on Google Play and they both got me going down the scale. Only 4 more kilos and I'll be there! kisses to all community! Wanda (Argentina)

I started off with the zip and had it for 2 years. The rubber band holder eventually fell apart and i got sick of changing the battery every 2-3mths. But overall it was a good little device and was permanently attached to my bra.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I previously a fitbit zip which, although basic, I loved and was still able to take part in challenges etc through the app. I now have a fitbit charge 2 and I have been left a bit underwhelmed with it. When I am driving it picks up bumps in the road surface and counts them as steps (my zip didn't do this) and it records strange sleep patterns and heart beats even when I am not wearing it over night.
    It was a gift which I am grateful for however if it should go wrong I will go back to my trusty zip.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ach_75 wrote: »
    I previously a fitbit zip which, although basic, I loved and was still able to take part in challenges etc through the app. I now have a fitbit charge 2 and I have been left a bit underwhelmed with it. When I am driving it picks up bumps in the road surface and counts them as steps (my zip didn't do this) and it records strange sleep patterns and heart beats even when I am not wearing it over night.
    It was a gift which I am grateful for however if it should go wrong I will go back to my trusty zip.

I work with a very large bumpy truck and mine doesnt add steps i kind of wish it did. I do alot of heavy lifting itd be nice to get a few extra calories just cause on work days lol. I know iv burned more and i dont stress if i wanna eat above fitbit calories given based on steps alone (im a mover i lift heavy furniture with those steps) But its always nice to see iv eaten just under my calories for the day xD

My charge 2 is great. Although from trying to learn how to cheat it iv learned guys may have a slight advantage on step challenges. Just saying LOL. Only hand movement it will count as steps for me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Mine doesn't do anything like that. I'd contact Fitbit if I were you.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

I work with a very large bumpy truck and mine doesnt add steps i kind of wish it did. I do alot of heavy lifting itd be nice to get a few extra calories just cause on work days lol. I know iv burned more and i dont stress if i wanna eat above fitbit calories given based on steps alone (im a mover i lift heavy furniture with those steps) But its always nice to see iv eaten just under my calories for the day xD

My charge 2 is great. Although from trying to learn how to cheat it iv learned guys may have a slight advantage on step challenges. Just saying LOL. Only hand movement it will count as steps for me.

Hmmmm, perhaps contacting fitbit would be a good idea, my issues don't seem normal.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Hmmmm, perhaps contacting fitbit would be a good idea, my issues don't seem normal.

Yeah you probably should, or download drivebit which will erase the driving steps.

I had the opposite problem, my zip picked up loads of steps while driving, whereas my Alta does not.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    One thing I noticed is that some people that disliked their Fitbit actually had no idea how to use it. I remember a thread where someone thought their TDEE given by Fitbit was all extra burn from exercise so they ate all of those calories on top of the MFP allowance, gained weight, and blamed Fitbit for the gain instead of their own faulty logic. He was taking in like 6,000 calories per day and didn't even question it because "Fitbit said so" when Fitbit actually wasn't saying that at all.

6,000 calories is a lot of food. I'd get tired of eating.

I've noticed the bold part, too. It's not limited to Fitbit. That's something you always have to keep in mind when you read random internet reviews of anything.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    There was a study published late last year in the Journal of the American Medical Association out of the University of Pittsburgh. It took 470 people ages 18-35 and put a fitness tracker on 1/2 of them (this wasn't a modern tracker - it went on the upper arm). The other half (control group) got diet and exercise info, like the study group, but no tracker. Results - the control group lost 13 lbs by end of study compared to 7.7 lb average from study group. They are not sure why this is - lots of ideas. Expect more studies. Take away - use the tracker, but only as part of your strategy. Don't get too wrapped up in it. Diet and portion size is more important. Good luck.

If this is the study I'm remembering, they pitted the activity tracker vs. calorie counting. Nobody here will ever suggest that just using a fitness tracker is better than just counting calories. But for many of us, both using the tracker and counting calories is better than just counting calories.

As somebody who has a substantial calorie burn due to NEAT, the fitness tracker not only motivates me to move more, it also reassures me that it's okay to eat as much as I actually need to (as verified by accurate logging and actual weight loss). I am also a stats/numbers junkie. If you aren't, I can see why the tracker wouldn't be as helpful for you.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    [
    Hmmmm, perhaps contacting fitbit would be a good idea, my issues don't seem normal. [/quote]

I just want to add that fitbit has an amazing customer service, its why I up graded myself to the charge2 and my daughter to the blaze. When I lost my first zip they actually sent me a replacement and they always answer my questions even after warranty expires. You don't get that with apple, which daughter #2 has. LOL
  • goobery
    goobery Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP3 and love it, does heart rate, steps, sleep etc. I bought my mum and sister the Fitbit and will probably switch over just to be social and set competitions eventually. But ultimately I think they motivate you more to move. Everything should be viewed though as not 100% accurate. If you swing your arms without moving then it logs steps you never took, your only cheating yourself. The Heartrate is approximate, its for a guide only. You get the same type of reading my using your finger on your iPhone camera.

I say go for it, you can always return it if you don't like it.
  • bren1244
    bren1244 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am debating whether to buy a Fitbit charge 2

Or just to save my money and not bother are they good and worth the money or not??

Hello they are worth it it makes you be accountable you will love doing challenging with people and making sure you get and see your steps each day!!
    3474449k Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 225 and I love it. I use it mainly for the Heart Rate, distances and steps. I love having the gps to know how far I've gone and to see my improvements in pace. I was very out of shape and it's nice to see that I've gone from 23 minute miles to 15 minute miles at about the same heart rate. Seeing your progress is very motivating.