Lifting question from total newb

Options

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    The great thing about being a newbie, newbie gains, so get on a program and take advantage of it.
    What do you mean by this? Newbie gains?
    Newbie gains are improvements in strength and size based mostly on being a newcomer who usually is going to experience immediate results no matter what they do....even when their methods and training style are not necessarily optimal.

find a good introductory program and off you go. I can spew my opinion on what methods are best but it does depend on what you are searching for.

Good luck
  • chromekodi
    chromekodi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...
    You're not training hard enough if you don't get sore the next day or 2.... or 3.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Mizzell wrote: »
    I don't get DOMS...
    You're not training hard enough if you don't get sore the next day or 2.... or 3.

Bollocks
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...

Have you seen me train?

Doms is not a measure of whether you've trained hard enough or not.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...

Soreness is not the desired outcome, adaptation is.

It's possible to make progress without soreness.
  • chromekodi
    chromekodi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...

Have you seen me train?

I'm not entirely sure what DOMS are but what I do know is that if you never get sore then your training like a little *kitten*. Either that or you're doing crossfit.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...

Have you seen me train?

I'm not entirely sure what DOMS are but what I do know is that if you never get sore then your training like a little *kitten*. Either that or you're doing crossfit.

I do neither. Go educate yourself.
  • newbie3122
    newbie3122 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...

Have you seen me train?

Hmm... Interesting perspectives.. Not

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    chromekodi wrote: »
    I don't get DOMS...

Have you seen me train?

Doesn't know what DOMS is but says if you're not sore, you're training like a *kitten*.

Okay there...
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...

Have you seen me train?

LOL, that's hilarious. Claims you must get sore, doesn't know what DOMS is.

OP, since you asked about getting sore, my two cents: when starting a new program, ease into it. Lift light and give your body a week or so to adjust before you increase to a working load. Some people get sore, some people don't, but you don't want to make yourself so sore you skip your scheduled workouts. How much you lift, how many reps you do, and how many times a week you work out should be determined by the progressive program you're following. If you're not following a progressive program yet, check out this link for ideas:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...

Have you seen me train?

You should probably educate yourself a bit if you plan on making such claims. But if you really think it, what is your routine so we can all learn?
  • ZenDoggie
    ZenDoggie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    BCAAs! Branch chain ammino acids. They will help with Doms and recovery. My fav is BPI Best BCAAs. I lift 4x per week hitting Legs 2x. They have helped me alot! Some of us don't recover as fast as others do.
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    ooBombshellBeautyoo Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You always want to aim for that good sore feeling, where it is just enough to feel it for two days. As suggested above I would add in legs, chest and back. My favorite reps are 12-10-8-6... 12 starts light and it gets heavier as I work down to 6. It's a lot to take in as you get started but it does it easier, just don't give up :)
  • DrGWChamberlane
    DrGWChamberlane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    SammySkiAZ wrote: »
    Morriganmum - I've been lifting on and off for 30 years, and turn 60 this weekend. Let me give you some different/additional suggestions to what I'm seeing here from others. First, if you are truly middle-aged, you need to take into consideration the increased risk of hurting yourself. Whatever you do, get a couple sets of warm ups in. I start with a very light weight, 10 or 15 pounds, just to get my joints and tendons working. A second warm up set with about half the normal weight follows. I also do some stretching for certain exercises - especially shoulders as I have one that is a bit balky with some rotator cuff damage that doesn't like the strain of pull-ups.

Second, if you're just getting started, I suggest not going super heavy. Work up to it. The old 8-12 reps rule leans towards the higher side when you're starting out, especially as we age. Spend the first few weeks more in the 12 or 12-15 rep range to get started. See how your body reacts as you see how many days a week you want to do this.

Third, if you really want to build some muscles, you gotta eat protein. The science is very clear on this. If you want to get stronger and add muscle, really focus on protein. In heavy lifting cycles, I usually eat 3-4 eggs after working out in the morning. Have several glasses of milk during the day, and focus on higher-protein percentage lunches and dinners. Get rid of the wasted carb calories such as breads, white rice, potatoes, etc. And, as celebrity trainer Harley Pasternak likes to say, "all the vegetables you can eat". If you're middle aged and your metabolism has slowed down, I don't recommend any of the powders or mixes. While they have great protein, they're usually too many calories. Those are made for 20-year-old guys who are trying to get bigger.

Fourth, certain exercises will have greater impact on your overall physique. For example, pull-ups will have a tremendous impact on your body shape. If you want to look athletic, it's my #1 recommendation. They will broaden your shoulders and give you more of that athletic V-shape that makes men and women both look more attractive. But many people don't, as they're hard to do - especially for women or people who have never really done much before. You can use a pull-down machine at the gym, or some have assisted pull-up machines. Thirdly, you can always ask some cute guy to cup your ankle while you push off a bit to help you pull-up on the bar. Also, as we age and sit at our desks all day, I find that many people's lower backs have become weak. Partially bent rows are great for getting your back and abs stronger. Beyond that, you should look to lift weights with all the major muscle groups of your body, alternating days and resting or mixing in other activities on those off days. I cycle and hike to get exercise on the off-lifting days.

My final bit of advice is to read. Get a subscription to one or two of the bodybuilding magazines such as Flex. It's over the top for what you want, but in just a few months' issues will teach you a lot - including different exercises and nutrition to add muscle. I would recommend Flex over other pubs such as Shape and Womens' Health, which really don't focus on weight lifting.

Get started, but take it easy. You don't need a trainer, but you do need to 'listen' to your body. It will tell you what's too much or when to take a break.

Sammy,

This advice is "spot-on" for individuals of advancing age. The rules of conditioning change as our bodies age and we do need to listen to our bodies. Osteoporosis, arthritis, decreased natural testosterone production, decreased muscle mass, altered carbohydrate metabolism and cardiovascular changes all play a factor. Diet and exercise are paramount. Very good post. Bravo!

Dr. Chamberlane
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...

Have you seen me train?

Doesn't know what DOMS is but says if you're not sore, you're training like a *kitten*.

Okay there...

Took the words right out of my...fingers.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: You don't even mention what kind of arm/shoulder lifting you're doing.

There are all kinds of lifts you "could" do for upper body work and how many reps to do isn't the 1st thing you need to consider.

The best suggestion I can give you is to discuss your goals with a trainer at your gym, who can help you design a program that best meets those goals as well as make you aware of other things you can or should be doing instead.

Ha! I have no idea what they are called. I'll try to look them up. Meanwhile, no trainer at gym, it is just the weight room available to me.

No, actually, I won't look them up, because what movements I'm making isn't the question, the question is basically the best way to build muscle. No matter where, no matter which movements.

Actually, that's probably the biggest question - especially if you're concerned with correcting posture. After that, there's a number of different ways of determining reps/sets/weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...

Have you seen me train?

All wrong.

DOMS= Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Some people get it, some people don't. If I'm training regularly, I don't get it, even when deadlifting 315 pounds as a 41-year-old woman. Tell me I'm training like a little *kitten*.

To the OP - Use a proven program like Stronglifts 5X5. You can research it at Stronglifts.com. It only has 5 lifts to learn. Three times a week, about 45 minutes per session. I had serious improvements using this program. You can also download the app, and it will keep track of your sessions, weights, and progress. Try it, you'll like it! ;)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    SammySkiAZ wrote: »
    Morriganmum - I've been lifting on and off for 30 years, and turn 60 this weekend. Let me give you some different/additional suggestions to what I'm seeing here from others. First, if you are truly middle-aged, you need to take into consideration the increased risk of hurting yourself. Whatever you do, get a couple sets of warm ups in. I start with a very light weight, 10 or 15 pounds, just to get my joints and tendons working. A second warm up set with about half the normal weight follows. I also do some stretching for certain exercises - especially shoulders as I have one that is a bit balky with some rotator cuff damage that doesn't like the strain of pull-ups.

Second, if you're just getting started, I suggest not going super heavy. Work up to it. The old 8-12 reps rule leans towards the higher side when you're starting out, especially as we age. Spend the first few weeks more in the 12 or 12-15 rep range to get started. See how your body reacts as you see how many days a week you want to do this.

Third, if you really want to build some muscles, you gotta eat protein. The science is very clear on this. If you want to get stronger and add muscle, really focus on protein. In heavy lifting cycles, I usually eat 3-4 eggs after working out in the morning. Have several glasses of milk during the day, and focus on higher-protein percentage lunches and dinners. Get rid of the wasted carb calories such as breads, white rice, potatoes, etc. And, as celebrity trainer Harley Pasternak likes to say, "all the vegetables you can eat". If you're middle aged and your metabolism has slowed down, I don't recommend any of the powders or mixes. While they have great protein, they're usually too many calories. Those are made for 20-year-old guys who are trying to get bigger.

Fourth, certain exercises will have greater impact on your overall physique. For example, pull-ups will have a tremendous impact on your body shape. If you want to look athletic, it's my #1 recommendation. They will broaden your shoulders and give you more of that athletic V-shape that makes men and women both look more attractive. But many people don't, as they're hard to do - especially for women or people who have never really done much before. You can use a pull-down machine at the gym, or some have assisted pull-up machines. Thirdly, you can always ask some cute guy to cup your ankle while you push off a bit to help you pull-up on the bar. Also, as we age and sit at our desks all day, I find that many people's lower backs have become weak. Partially bent rows are great for getting your back and abs stronger. Beyond that, you should look to lift weights with all the major muscle groups of your body, alternating days and resting or mixing in other activities on those off days. I cycle and hike to get exercise on the off-lifting days.

My final bit of advice is to read. Get a subscription to one or two of the bodybuilding magazines such as Flex. It's over the top for what you want, but in just a few months' issues will teach you a lot - including different exercises and nutrition to add muscle. I would recommend Flex over other pubs such as Shape and Womens' Health, which really don't focus on weight lifting.

Get started, but take it easy. You don't need a trainer, but you do need to 'listen' to your body. It will tell you what's too much or when to take a break.

This is the best advice yet. I'm middle aged (48), been lifting for 3 years (2 years of serious lifting--so I still consider myself fairly new to weightlifting). If you want good posture then work on your core. Strengthening your core will also help any back pain that us middle-agers are starting to experience. The nice thing is that you don't have to do tons of crunches (or any at all) if you do compound exercises. Compound exercises will automatically work your core as well as other muscle groups. But that means you'll have to step away from the machines and approach the free weight section.

One of the best programs I used when starting out was Jaime Eason's Live Fit. You can find it on bodybuilding.com. In fact I highly recommend perusing all of their articles. The site has taught me so much and it's FREE!

And just to reiterate the above poster start slow! Less chance of injury that way.

Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You need to get on a linear progression weight lifting program. If your available weight room has the equipment, I would suggest Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5, but there are other programs. The great thing about being a newbie, newbie gains, so get on a program and take advantage of it.

pretty much this..

get on a structured program and follow it...don't be afraid of free weights and compound movements..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS...

Have you seen me train?

what I do know is that you appear to be clueless about training ...