To run or to roll?!

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My neighbour's son ran a marathon with zero formal preparation. He went to cheer on his sister (who had of course trained properly), and ran with her for a while, and just decided on a whim to keep going. Not alongside her, at a slower pace, but he did finish. He was 18 years old (young joints and tendons), and was very athletic and very active. But unprepared nevertheless. He was in bed for a couple days afterwards but didn't do any lasting damage. His parents were athletic and both his sisters were accomplished athletes. So great genes.

I think that the contributors to this thread have given lots of sage advice that applies to the vast majority of people, but I recognize that there are born athletes out there that can do things I can only dream of.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Karbum wrote: »
    Hey... I see further down in the thread you mentioned it was only 5K. If that is the case, then go for it!!! You got this! I think when people originally hear marathon, they are thinking something much different. 5k in 3 months is very doable! Good luck!!!

where does it say its a 5k?

It doesn't. She later came back and said 5K isn't enough of a stretch goal for her so she's going forward with her plan to run the London marathon (which is on April 23rd) in March.

Yeah it was me who first pointed out that it was in March....
  • chinupsforchinese
    chinupsforchinese Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The London marathon is done by lottery system - which closed in May 2016 and you would've found out by October. So I call bs.

Call as you wish.

Yes results come out in October, and a second ballot is done after for those who agreed to give their entry fee to charity. Yes I should of started training earlier, yes I wish I had but fact is I haven't. I trained for the half in 2 months when I had never done more than a 5k fun run before, so in just over 3 months I aim to complete (at a very steady pace) a marathon, to raise money for charity and to accomplish something for myself.

As I said I understand concerns, advice etc but I can't comprehend saying something is bs. If you don't have anything productive to say move on.

• meeshymoosh
    meeshymoosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The London marathon is done by lottery system - which closed in May 2016 and you would've found out by October. So I call bs.

Call as you wish.

Yes results come out in October, and a second ballot is done after for those who agreed to give their entry fee to charity. Yes I should of started training earlier, yes I wish I had but fact is I haven't. I trained for the half in 2 months when I had never done more than a 5k fun run before, so in just over 3 months I aim to complete (at a very steady pace) a marathon, to raise money for charity and to accomplish something for myself.

As I said I understand concerns, advice etc but I can't comprehend saying something is bs. If you don't have anything productive to say move on.

Everyone here has said something very productive, which is mostly concerned caution and their own personal anecdotes or experience. You asked for people who have trained and have done something similar to chime in, and they have.

Productive comments =/= Positive comments

I'm sorry you feel deflated by the responses. I think everyone was surprised by the flippancy of something many people here take very seriously (training and competing). I am casually working on a 5k endurance, so I have nothing to add more than to your best, but remember to listen to your body and don't push yourself to the point of a medical issue.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

There are still a few charity places around as people drop out of their commitments through injury or other reasons.

Whilst the timing isn't outlandish the charities are still pretty picky about ability of their runners.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am the least natural runner, and am not light enough that anything about running is good for me. As such I can't remember the last time I ran... Last January, while at home with a broken foot, I signed up for a half marathon (after watching obese a year to save your life, where they often do a marathon at the 6 month mark) a few months later. I didn't tell anyone, the couple who did find out said I wouldn't be able to do it as I couldn't even do 5k at the start. Had I not made the jump and signed up I wouldn't of achieved that goal, along with 10k and 10 mile races beforehand However... I'm signed up to run the London marathon in March!! I currently think I'd be quicker rolling in after all the Christmas insurgence

Which is it? You can't remember the last time you ran or you've successfully completed a Half Marathon last year after doing 10K and 10 mile races before that?

IF you did compete in a half last year and have run several 10Ks and 10 Milers then, perhaps you are not the completely inexperienced runner your initial post made you out to be.

Sounding a lot like blueeyez939 from the post I cited above.

Again, keep us up on your workouts, progression and result.

The two users are different - they don't use the same wordings etc. I highly doubt the OP will be looking to keep the people on this thread 'updated' lol. The OP does have previous fitness experience and the post was meant to be more tongue in cheek regarding rolling the distance. Everyone should just wish her luck, but that is my opinion

You don't need luck if you train properly. Why chance injury to luck? I wish you could see why just simply wishing somebody luck doesn't necessarily lead to positive results.

I didn't say it would lead to positive results - if you read above I said she may not finish the race. I'm not saying to box with David Haye, I'm saying train for the race and see how well you can do. Going outside now and running a marathon would be insane but building up slowly but surely should be fine. If you start to feel pain or discomfort then check in with a doctor or physio but otherwise give it your best shot :)

12 weeks isn't slowly at all.

She should have a really solid weekly base mileage before beginning to train for a marathon. 12 weeks just is not enough time at all.

Even if she doesn't acutely injure herself, she's going to be miserable and she isn't going to finish.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Hi all,

I am the least natural runner, and am not light enough that anything about running is good for me. As such I can't remember the last time I ran... However... I'm signed up to run the London marathon in March!! I currently think I'd be quicker rolling in after all the Christmas insurgence

You'll be fine. For my last marathon I only entered two weeks before and did ok.

Keep us updated
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I predict that it will not be a successful event for you. Please be sure to update us in March.

Thanks for your positivity. I'm new to the community side but I didn't think this was the point!

Thanks Jake!

Luckily I thrive on proving negative people wrong. :-)

I like your spirit. But this is totally unrealistic.
  • tgirl0825
    tgirl0825 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Isn't the race in April? Regardless I have ran a marathon with training and it was one of the hardest things I've done. I'm running Chicago in Oct. I agree with some of the comments but if you're doing the one in April (I think 23rd) you have some time if you get busy. The marathon is all about consistent training or you'll pay for it afterwards. Good luck!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have 12 weeks, I'm going to run it. I need goals.

Goals are great...realistic ones...a marathon in 12 weeks for someone who can't remember the last time they run isn't a particularly realistic goal...why not a 10K or 1/2 at the most...

Gotta love January...
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am the least natural runner, and am not light enough that anything about running is good for me. As such I can't remember the last time I ran... Last January, while at home with a broken foot, I signed up for a half marathon (after watching obese a year to save your life, where they often do a marathon at the 6 month mark) a few months later. I didn't tell anyone, the couple who did find out said I wouldn't be able to do it as I couldn't even do 5k at the start. Had I not made the jump and signed up I wouldn't of achieved that goal, along with 10k and 10 mile races beforehand However... I'm signed up to run the London marathon in March!! I currently think I'd be quicker rolling in after all the Christmas insurgence

Which is it? You can't remember the last time you ran or you've successfully completed a Half Marathon last year after doing 10K and 10 mile races before that?

IF you did compete in a half last year and have run several 10Ks and 10 Milers then, perhaps you are not the completely inexperienced runner your initial post made you out to be.

Sounding a lot like blueeyez939 from the post I cited above.

Again, keep us up on your workouts, progression and result.

The two users are different - they don't use the same wordings etc. I highly doubt the OP will be looking to keep the people on this thread 'updated' lol. The OP does have previous fitness experience and the post was meant to be more tongue in cheek regarding rolling the distance. Everyone should just wish her luck, but that is my opinion

As an experienced endurance athlete, there is more than luck required to avoid injury or worse when competing in an endurance event...proper training is key, so are realistic expectations. Doing something like a marathon in 12 weeks would require a solid base of aerobic/endurance fitness...OP said she can't remember the last time she ran...that would just make this stupidly dangerous.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Hi all,

I am the least natural runner, and am not light enough that anything about running is good for me. As such I can't remember the last time I ran... However... I'm signed up to run the London marathon in March!! I currently think I'd be quicker rolling in after all the Christmas insurgence

You'll be fine. For my last marathon I only entered two weeks before and did ok.

Keep us updated

But you run all the time...
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Keep us updated

But you run all the time...

Indeed :) And I'd been training for this one, just hadn't got round to entering as it's a local trail race.

She's just trolling anyway
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    OP has not addressed the March/April discrepancy yet?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    This sounds like a really good way to injure yourself either before or during the event. If you were looking for cheerleaders to say "atta girl you got this" I don't think you'll get a lot here. And if you do, I don't recommend listening to them because that seems like reckless advice.

A marathon is not something you can just show up for. Is there a shorter race that same weekend that is part of the overall lineup of events? Many of the marathons here include half marathon events, 10K, 5K or fun runs.

Have you trained for a marathon? Are you a long distance runner? I don't know, but the internet seems to be full of 3 month training programmes. Sure, it is not ideal but why not shoot for the moon. If the op doesn't complete the distance then that will be a shame - but at least she gave it a shot :)

Jake, how many marathons have you trained for? You talk like you're a pretty experienced runner, so how realistic do you think it is to go from a zero training base to 26.2 miles in three months? If you've done it yourself, maybe you have a training program you could share with the OP and what your experiences were in completing it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP has not addressed the March/April discrepancy yet?

I was hoping for clarification on that too.

Maybe she meant London, Ontario, Canada.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone being sarcastic and rude to this girl? I admire you for having the courage to do it and for having the gutz ! I am sure you will be fine ! When you truly want something , you will find a way to make it :) you just have to believe in yourself ! Prove all of these people wrong
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    People are not being sarcastic or rude, they are just showing concern that this lady could seriously hurt herself attempting to run a marathon without proper training.