To run or to roll?!

Options

Replies

• active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    active562 wrote: »
    Why is everyone being sarcastic and rude to this girl? I admire you for having the courage to do it and for having the gutz ! I am sure you will be fine ! When you truly want something , you will find a way to make it :) you just have to believe in yourself ! Prove all of these people wrong

If you have ever trained for a marathon you would understand.

Plus, I'm not sure how being honest can be confused with rude but hey, whatever.

But whats wrong with trying? Maybe she won't make it but at least she would have tried
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why is everyone being sarcastic and rude to this girl? I admire you for having the courage to do it and for having the gutz ! I am sure you will be fine ! When you truly want something , you will find a way to make it :) you just have to believe in yourself ! Prove all of these people wrong

Plus, I'm not sure how being honest can be confused with rude but hey, whatever.

But whats wrong with trying? Maybe she won't make it but at least she would have tried

You do understand that a marathon is 26.2 miles, right? And that that isn't a distance that people just casually decide they'll go out and run one day? And that it's humongously taxing on the body even for highly trained runners?

What the OP is trying to do is akin to somebody who's been doing a lifting routine with little pink dumbbells for a couple weeks and decides they're going to enter a powerlifting competition and open with a 315 pound deadlift.

Nobody is being rude or sarcastic. They're trying to explain to the OP (unsuccessfully, it appears) that what she's proposing to do isn't feasible and could be dangerous.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have run a few halfs, and can rip off a 5 km in my sleep. I routinely run up to 10km as part of my regular training but the full marathon is a different animal completely. Even when I was younger, something happens to people when they get to that 12 km-15km range. It just hurts like crazy and you are not even half way finished yet.
    I think a half marathon is a super realistic goal, and a challenging one at that.
    All the power to you. I vote for a more realistic goal but wish you luck in your training. I am sure you will know well into your training if you will be able to do it or not.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Notwithstanding that she's probably just trolling, the reality is that training for a marathon is physically demanding, time consuming and very hard work. Many people drop out from injury, or lack of commitment.

Before running a marathon one can easily run 400-500 miles just getting to the start line. Getting a competitive time could get to 1000 miles.

Running a marathon is a fantastic experience, but not something to jump into without preparation.

Even if this is genuine, the reality is that she's far more likely to injure herself than get to the start line.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

People aren't being sarcastic and rude...they're being realistic...you don't go from couch to marathon in 12 weeks. If you have ever trained for a long endurance event, you would understand...

This isn't a 10K we're talking about...we're talking about running 26.2 miles...people die in these kinds of events if they haven't properly trained.

She's overweight and untrained...and we're talking 26.2 miles of running. People can be seriously injured in this kind of thing if they haven't properly trained...you don't just go from the couch to a marathon in 12 weeks, it's extremely dangerous. A marathon isn't something that you just casually do.

Hell, I know avid runners who are well trained and compete in multiple marathons every year...they're well trained and they feel like they're going to die for like a week afterwards.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I can speak to my experiences over training ( too fast too far too soon) , and the results.... currently recovering from Achilles' tendinitis.

I worry your plan is risky, a 5 is easily manageable 10 km is tough but possible , a half is realy pushing it in my opinion a full marathon is risky.

I'm all for big goals, but maybe connect with a running coach so you can get a trained opinion on this goal, limit injuries and increase chance of success ?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

With her stats and lack of training, it is a recipe for a major injury. They're right. These injuries will put one down for a very long time. This is why proper training is absolutely crucial. I am around 40lbs overweight and I wouldn't attempt that. Hell, I am slowly working my way up to walking a half marathon before I'm going to run 5k. :(
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    She obviously wants to do it and does not want advice. Leaver her be.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

With her stats and lack of training, it is a recipe for a major injury. They're right. These injuries will put one down for a very long time. This is why proper training is absolutely crucial. I am around 40lbs overweight and I wouldn't attempt that. Hell, I am slowly working my way up to walking a half marathon before I'm going to run 5k. :(

I'm BMI 20 and it's still a bad idea to go from untrained to marathon in 3 months!
  • chinupsforchinese
    chinupsforchinese Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have stopped posting as this has turned into something I wasn't expecting, I was mere looking to connect with people also training. I appreciate the concern and also those who wished me luck.

As I said last year I did races in 10k, 10 mile and half marathon all fine within a few months of starting training. A marathon seemed like a logical step, not to mention getting caught up in the momentum.

I'm sure a marathon is a different ball game and yes I planned to start training earlier, I'm annoyed at myself I haven't. I may injure myself, as will a substantial percentage of people training, and if I do then I will be gutted to of not achieved it.

[Edited by MFP moderator]
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Then all I can say is Good Luck. I'll be pulling for you.

I'll be starting my training for Pittsburgh later this month. I'll have 14 weeks to "officially" train but I'm already building my mileage back up. I took it easy for 4 weeks after my last marathon and it does take some effort to get back into it.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP has not addressed the March/April discrepancy yet?

I was just going to point this out. I'm calling this whole thing trolling, or the OP is straight out foolish to willingly chose an event that can cause injury to the point of an inability to walk with no training. 12 weeks is not enough time to go from 0 to marathon. But to each their own. Enjoy the injury.

• riffraff2112
    Options

As I said last year I did races in 10k, 10 mile and half marathon all fine within a few months of starting training.

In everyones defense, you did fail to mention the above in your original post. You stated that you couldn't remember the last time you did any jogging. People would assume that to mean it had been many years.
    I will still state that 10km and 42km are very different animals though!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is true. I really want to run the Chicago Marathon in May. It happens to be in October (I'm even signed up for it then), but May seems like it could be more convenient for me and I want to run a marathon then without traveling or anything (I was thinking about doing Flying Pig, but I live in Chicago), so I am going to really believe in myself and decide I truly want it, and it will happen.

It might happen, but there's a difference between running smart and running stupid. All the determination in the world is not going to prevent injury. Some injuries are so bad that you cannot run for months to over a year. I know because it happened to me. If that's a risk that a person is willing to take, that's on them. But it's not worth the "I told you so."
  • riffraff2112
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is true. I really want to run the Chicago Marathon in May. It happens to be in October (I'm even signed up for it then), but May seems like it could be more convenient for me and I want to run a marathon then without traveling or anything (I was thinking about doing Flying Pig, but I live in Chicago), so I am going to really believe in myself and decide I truly want it, and it will happen.

It might happen, but there's a difference between running smart and running stupid. All the determination in the world is not going to prevent injury. Some injuries are so bad that you cannot run for months to over a year. I know because it happened to me. If that's a risk that a person is willing to take, that's on them. But it's not worth the "I told you so."

I am thinking there was a little sarcasm there :)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    You really should edit your original post because it's giving incorrect information. You ran several 10k races and half marathon less than a year ago. No, you haven't forgotten the last time you ran, you've been a distance runner for a while now. You'd have far more support and positive vibes from the community, especially among the avid distance runners here if you had just been forward with that information to begin with.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm quite late to this thread, but very curious about the thread as I"m training for the Virginia Beach Marathon in March.

OP, you originally posted about your current physical condition and lack of training to date. This prompted a number of responses from the endurance athletes urging caution since the training time is not adequate and that makes the likelihood of injury much higher. I should say right here that as a fairly experienced endurance guy, I agree with the concerns expressed by others.

With that said, I'm interested in your second post where you state: "I have 12 weeks, I'm going to run it. I need goals."

May I ask what type of "goals" you are hoping to uncover? Perhaps a strategy to help you finish the race, suggestions on pacing, etc? Not sure I understand your request.

Perhaps an idea of another runners plan for a March race may prove useful to you:

My training group consists of 5 seasoned runners, 3 of whom have completed the marathon distance before. All of us have completed multiple half marathons and Half Iron and/or Full Iron Distance triathlon events. We are working with a coach. Coming off two half marathon distance races in the fall, we began our marathon training with 20 weeks to go. We're currently running 5 times/week and doing 2 cross training bike trainer rides/week. We do a marathon pace run on Saturdays (9-10 miles) followed by a long slow (zone 1/2 HR) run of 17-18miles on Sunday. Our run mileage is about 40-42 miles/week at this point in our training.

From our coach's perspective, it is all about building up run miles gradually while watching for signs of stress and fatigue that could lead to injury. Her focus is ALL about safety of her athletes. In fact, one person in our group has been sick for a few days and missed several key workouts. Therefore, the coach won't let him to the full 17 mile workout this coming weekend. The reason is that the chance of injury is too high.

So, I would caution against taking the full marathon lightly. While it is not impossible for someone to complete the race without training, doing so carries a high risk of injury and therefore most experienced runners are advising against racing it.

Good luck in your training.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have stopped posting as this has turned into something I wasn't expecting, I was mere looking to connect with people also training. I appreciate the concern and also those who wished me luck.

As I said last year I did races in 10k, 10 mile and half marathon all fine within a few months of starting training. A marathon seemed like a logical step, not to mention getting caught up in the momentum.

I'm sure a marathon is a different ball game and yes I planned to start training earlier, I'm annoyed at myself I haven't. I may injure myself, as will a substantial percentage of people training, and if I do then I will be gutted to of not achieved it.

[Edited by MFP moderator]

and if you'd actually said this in your original post, you would have got loads of support....