Options
12346»

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    This sounds like a really good way to injure yourself either before or during the event. If you were looking for cheerleaders to say "atta girl you got this" I don't think you'll get a lot here. And if you do, I don't recommend listening to them because that seems like reckless advice.

A marathon is not something you can just show up for. Is there a shorter race that same weekend that is part of the overall lineup of events? Many of the marathons here include half marathon events, 10K, 5K or fun runs.

Have you trained for a marathon? Are you a long distance runner? I don't know, but the internet seems to be full of 3 month training programmes. Sure, it is not ideal but why not shoot for the moon. If the op doesn't complete the distance then that will be a shame - but at least she gave it a shot :)

It's full of 3 month training programs for people who already run!! If she's currently running with a strong mileage base or has to run significantly for a sport, then she should be fine, but most everything I've read about running a SUCCESSFUL first marathon says you should have been running for at least a year before attempting a marathon.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I can't remember a date no, all those were the first half of last year. Also as I said I didn't realise people would pick on each detail, the objective was to meet people also training not demotivate myself.

You have to understand, this website is all about the 'details' because that is usually where people fail, not logging properly, no training properly. Something as specific as macro %, number of reps, training cycles can be (and will be) scrutinized at length because we are all trying to get better, and offer proper sound advice.

When I hear "can't remember the last time I ran", I am assuming its been years. Honest assumption.

This is a supportive community, and don't stop using it because I am certain if you are honest with yourself, you have to see that the advice was excellent based on the information we were given.

Good luck though, I am sure you will find the motivation and push ahead. Let us know how the training goes.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    Okay , you guys have a good point. Maybe it is not 100% safe and I should not have said anything since I am not a runner and I have never actually done a marathon :/ I apologize ! But my point was that no one should give up on something they truly want

No one was saying 'just give up'. It was mentioned over and over that lack of proper preparation (by those who have actually completed marathons) was bad idea.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I can't remember a date no, all those were the first half of last year. Also as I said I didn't realise people would pick on each detail, the objective was to meet people also training not demotivate myself.

People aren't picking it apart, the OP was very misleading. Probably not on purpose, but still. You made it sound like you were a complete novice at running, you don't like it, and you had little or no experience. If people had known you ran a half last year and other races the responses would have been very different.

With a decent running base you can train for 3 months and finish a marathon. It won't be fun if you are planning to run the whole thing, but you can probably do it without being injured, though it's still risky. 26.2 is very different than a half. It's twice as long but more than twice as hard, IMO. Weird things happen to your body after about 20 miles you just don't see in other races.

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    Okay , you guys have a good point. Maybe it is not 100% safe and I should not have said anything since I am not a runner and I have never actually done a marathon :/ I apologize ! But my point was that no one should give up on something they truly want

No one was saying 'just give up'. It was mentioned over and over that lack of proper preparation (by those who have actually completed marathons) was bad idea.

Exactly...nobody ever said "give up"...but there's a right way and wrong way to go about things.

I very much wanted to ride a century in March...while I'm an avid cycling enthusiast, I have had a couple of injuries over the last six months or so and it has really hampered my mileage...I'm just getting back to things and I can tell you from just the first few rides, I'm no where near the kind of base I would need to do a full century safely...at minimum, I'd be absolutely miserable and having to push through a lot of pain...

So instead of March, I'm doing a different one in September...not giving up...just doing a different one for which I'll have plenty of time for and that I'll be much more likely to enjoy due to being properly trained for the occasion.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    STILL no mention of how you're going to run an April marathon in March?

You intentionally wrote a post full of false information and intentional exaggeration, then got upset when people acted accordingly.

This. All of this. Even now that I've managed to sleep and reread this thread (and note the sarcasm I missed earlier hah), I'm still not buying this thread. Realistically it matters none to me, but now curiosity has sprung as to the clear lack of acknowledgement to this important detail. Then again, it seems details are irrelevant apparently.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Plz just admit that this whole story is fabricated srsly.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Well the London Marathon was last month... how did it go?? :|
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

OP won didn't she?!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

OP won didn't she?!

Yep, and smashed the world record too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

OP won didn't she?!

Yep, and smashed the world record too.

Her time was about 21 minutes wasn't it?!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Hope she is alright after it. Let us know how it went OP.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Yes but the OP ran it in March.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Perhaps the plan was to start in March and finish April 23rd. At least that'd be eminently doable.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Perhaps the plan was to start in March and finish April 23rd. At least that'd be eminently doable.

:D