Cycling mishaps

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I had suffered a stress fracture in my foot, so I was prescribed to wear a walking boot. I was told not to run, but that riding a bike would be okay if I could do it to maintain my fitness. I was riding on a bike path and was about 10 miles from my car when suddenly my entire peddle crank setup came off. Just like that. Stupidly, I did not have any tools with me. I tried to fix it, but only managed to make a mess of grease. I called my husband to come pick me up at the closest station, which was two miles away and I started walking in that direction when another cyclist stopped to help. He, fortunately, had a set of tools and helped me to reassemble it well enough to make it back to my car. On my way home, I stopped to use the restroom and looked in the mirror. I had grease all over my forehead and cheek. What a sight I must have been, hobbling along with one foot in a boot, face smeared with grease, carrying a bike crank in my hand. I must have looked like a deranged lunatic! How nice of him to stop.

For the record, I never leave home without a set of allen wrenches anymore!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I was bit by a neighborhood dog. Now I'm terrified to ride past homes with dogs. I do it but I really don't like it!!

I did a half century in Ellensburg, which isn't a place I'm very familiar with. About 40 or 45 miles in, this dog comes running off the porch it was sleeping on, past the end of its yard where a fence might be, and at me. I had more sprint left than I would have thought, but the dog had legs, too. I threw my water bottle at it. It's really hard to aim when you're pedaling as fast as you can, and I missed the dog by several feet. But it had a new target, and chased the bottle, leaving me alone.

I liked that water bottle, I had got it on a cycling vacation.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1116892023
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you buy your bike at Walmart then you're pretty much guaranteed a mishap.

I've just nursed some really awesome road rash. My daughter lost her big toenail because her dimwitted grandmother let her ride her bike in flip flops.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    when i was a kid me and my older brother. rode our bikes home. i was going real fast stood up and slammed on the breaks. i flew over the handle bars.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    I cut my big toe off when I was 4 in the teeth of my cousin's bike...Well I blame my older brother as he was driving.

To make matters worse my gma had just walked past us and said "Mickey you shouldn't be doing that."

Broke my left wrist when I flipped over backwards on my bike when I was 10..Either that or later that night when I was jumping bed to bed in my sister's room and fell and hit her headboard..

So ended my cycling days....

OMG @megemrj you definitely win!!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Agree. It's not "if," but "when." (Warning: I'm about to get all serious up in your thread.)

1974: My grandfather was hit by a truck while on his bike. He died. No helmet.

2014: My father fainted from a heart condition while at full speed. Broke a few bones, got a severe concussion and was unconscious for 8 hours, but he lived. Helmet.

2016: My buddy got hit by a car a few months back. Broke many bones (legs, ribs, arms, and face), was in the hospital for a month, and is just now out of his wheelchair, but he lived. Helmet.

I've been lucky. I've wiped out a few times -- skidded out on gravel at speed, got taken out by my daughter on her bike, and have nearly gotten crunched by cars several times -- but never got more than a few scrapes. I dislike my helmet, but always wear it. My mother would KILL me if I didn't. And I'm 46.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Not a cyclist...

2nd grade - broke my wrist learning to ride a bicycle. Apparently when you stop you must put one or both feet down:).

Fast forward years later... My husband and I did the ms150 on a tandem (I had about 6 months or so in the saddle) and I made us fall over at the start and knocked down another guy (who was not happy) because I grabbed him by the leg. Husband trying to hold up the bike, me holding on to a man while trying desperately to unclip.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Just this season my wheel got caught in a crack in the sidewalk (good thing I wasnt on the road yet) and I was ssent sideways into a fence. To be honest I was able to knock myself back to the upright position without falling down but it sure did some damage to my wrist.

I had a colleague get killed this fall, when a cement truck decide to turn at an intersection (the driver missed the yield and all of a sudden made the turn at the intersection sideswiping my buddy). There was nothing he could do to avoid it. Haven't been on a bike since.

Be careful out there people, traffic can be a scary place for bikes. One day ill have to get back on the bike (trails only mind you) but its still too soon and would bring back far too many memories.
  • columbus2015
    columbus2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So far, I've avoided trouble, but I live in fear of going down at full speed... watched a guy go down at 50 kph right in front of me and I was just grateful to avoid the wreckage. Took a while to get an ambulance there and haul him to the hospital (serious concussion (helmets save lives!), broken wrist, cracked a couple ribs... serious road rash).
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    @goldthistime & @mom23mangos -Tbh I didn't completely lose the toe. They were able to reattach it and since I was so young it worked. It's stunted now and has early onset of arthritis but works just fine. Now if the nail would stop falling off EVERYTIME I bump it, it would be Great...

Bikes are dangerous things but I've always been a very accident prone person anyway. Think I would have done the toe and wrist things even if my training wheels had still been attached and I was wrapped in bubble wrap.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    krbrx11 wrote: »
    Two types of cyclists those that have crashed and those that will. Years ago while mountain biking I hit a deer broadside. I was not hurt and I don't think she was either. We both got up and went on our way. As I departed I realized I had a mouth full of fur.

You're lucky. A week before Thanksgiving, 11/12/16, I T-boned a deer (buck) and somersaulted over it with my bike attached. Landed on my left arm resulting in a grade 5 AC separation and had surgery on Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Stupid thing jump out from nowhere less than 10 feet in front and I was going ~18mph on a MUT(!). Apparently it went on it's merry way after sliding out from the impact and I'm looking at 3 or months of rehab.
  • fivestarsw
    fivestarsw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First off, if you are riding a Walmart bike, you're bound to have it fall apart at some point because those are not great bikes--like asking for stories of marathon runners wearing sandals.

Second, if you run into a Walmart that you don't see, then you shouldn't even be in a bike at all cuz the next object you'll run into is a semi-truck head on with eyes open!

Me? Yes, I've crashed on my road bike when I reached the my bottle and there was a dip on the road and I flipped. Another time, the bike in front of me braked and my tire hit his and I flipped again! Both times sucked but I recovered and now I'm much more careful!

• Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    i feel off my bike...on my trainer in my basement...

I'm sorry but this is hilarious :) - very Bridget Jones-esque!

My worst (and most painful, still causing trouble eight months later) was when I decided to go around some pedestrians on a path by going on a verge, rather than ring my bell to warn them I was there. Seriously misjudged the grassy verge - it looked flat but there was a slight bank there, bike hit it rather than going over it, I ended up in a very un-ladylike heap howling in pain, bike on top of me, said pedestrians panicking and ringing an ambulance as they thought I'd broken my leg (so did I until I moved it). Leg bruised from thigh to ankle, horrific swelling, a right mess. Apparently it will get better . . . eventually. I think that I came off worse than the bike as it was fixed quite quickly.

Funniest was when I was a kid and borrowed a friend's bike. She didn't tell me that the rear brakes operated by peddling backwards. I found out as I was freewheeling round a junction . . . :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    ^^ @Madwife2009, I've done the same thing. I was on a bike/run trail around the local university and there were walkers walking side by side taking up the whole lane. I thought I could squeeze around them, but my tire slipped off of the raised path and I ate it right in front of them. Knee torn up and dripping blood. Very embarrassing. I have a nice scar from it now though. :wink:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,121 Member
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    @goldthistime & @mom23mangos -Tbh I didn't completely lose the toe. They were able to reattach it and since I was so young it worked. It's stunted now and has early onset of arthritis but works just fine. Now if the nail would stop falling off EVERYTIME I bump it, it would be Great...

Bikes are dangerous things but I've always been a very accident prone person anyway. Think I would have done the toe and wrist things even if my training wheels had still been attached and I was wrapped in bubble wrap.

I have actually injured myself more walking (into posts, tripping over own feet and falling, etc) than I have biking. The crash biking stands out because I broke my hand, but other than not breaking bones, I think I have shed more blood tripping a ripping my knees, hands, elbows and the like open.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    these are a combination of terrific and terrifying. i have been very lucky. i got nothing much except short-sharp-shock lessons in safety at the cost of nothing more than some bruises and/or a huge dose of terror.
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    I just realized you're the same guy who caught his leg on fire while making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Poor guy, you can't seem to catch a break.

i need to find this story.
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I had grease all over my forehead and cheek.

but you haven't really lived until you've also done that absent-minded no-one-can-see-me nose-picking thing with those blackened fingers. especially if you commute to a corporate job.

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Back in the summer of 1990. 24 year old competitive cyclist ... Equipment malfunction and downhill crash @ around 100-105 kph (over 60mph). Helmet on (but destroyed as I'm told I was flipping and hit my head at-least 4x). Lost consciousness, ended up with a concussion, 4 broken ribs, shoulder injury, spinal fracture, road rash like crazy, down to the bone in places. So much adrenaline in my system that once I came-to I actually tried to tell the paramedics I was fine and would just 'walk it off'.

I wasn't fine, LOL.

More fun story was 2012 century ride over Highwood Pass in Alberta. Being about 220lbs at the time I likely the heaviest guy climbing it, and had no energy left on the last very steep climb of the pass ... I was so tired I was actually zig-zagging back/forth on the road to reduce the gradient. Suddenly I see a large grizzly bear watching me from about 60' away. - Gulp - Surprisingly, I found more energy. Waaay more.

I've never been so ready to turn/sprint downhill in my life, but I did make it up that pass that day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    @albertabeefy never run from a bear, it teases their predator instinct.
  • jynnantonnyk
    jynnantonnyk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hit a stone on a smooth path, wobbled and fell downhill into 5ft nettles. Caught on camera!

Not used to power of disc brakes on my bike, hit the front brake too hard at edge of cycleway, flipped over, crashing into the ground, bike landed on top of me. Sat for a while dazed thinking "Wow, that was close, lucky I never landed in traffic..."

I was sat in middle of the road with cars driving around me lol Kind passers by helped and I escaped with only bruising and a reluctance to use that front brake.
  • Racouol
    Racouol Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    fivestarsw wrote: »
    First off, if you are riding a Walmart bike, you're bound to have it fall apart at some point because those are not great bikes--like asking for stories of marathon runners wearing sandals.

Second, if you run into a Walmart that you don't see, then you shouldn't even be in a bike at all cuz the next object you'll run into is a semi-truck head on with eyes open!

Riding into Wal-mart did stop me from riding bikes for thirteen years. Mainly because my family refused to allow me to get another one. At the time it was not my most serious accident but it was the one that convince my parents I was too dangerous on two wheels.

I was forced to start riding again after having some car problems that ended with me being dragged by my own car. I was too poor to get the car fixed so I ended up going to Wal-mart to get a bike to ride. That was the bike that fell apart on me as I rode away. Took it back the next day and got another bike for free, that one lasted 6 months before I wrapped it around a tree. I still ride every day but now I own a much better bike.