Do you eat breakfast

I hear so many different things how not eating breakfast makes you less hungry. Do you find this true anddo you eat breakfest?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Nope. :) I like to save my calories for the evening and night.

For me, it is true; if I eat earlier in the day, I am ravenous. Some find that they have to eat breakfast early on otherwise they'd be hungry all day.

Do what suits you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Everyone's different. Some people need to eat as soon as they wake up. Others find that eating so soon makes them graze all day and thus prefer to wait until lunch. I eat breakfast, but usually not until about 5-6 hours after I've woken up.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    If you eat breakfast, make it fats and protein and not carbs. If I do that I can last a long time without snacking on junk. If I eat a sugary breakfast, I'm real hungry 2-hrs later.

I not only didn't eat breakfast this morning, but I also didn't eat lunch. I regularly do a 20:4 type of fast (fast twenty hours including sleep and eat in a 4-hour window). I find it MUCH easier to do this than start eating and then having to limit the food after that. Fasting is an appetite suppressant. I often feel a little hungry when I wake up but if I drink a glass of water, it goes away and I typically don't get hungry until 2-5 in the afternoon (usually 3 or 4). If I get real hungry, I will eat 1/2 tsp of coconut oil (about 60 cals) and it will kill the hunger (if I ate carbs or even protein I think, I would be very hungry after a 17-18 hour fast and would most likely keep eating - this has been my experience). With the coconut oil, it doesn't make me hungry.

Unless you are doing physical labor for 2 or more hours before lunch, I don't think breakfast is needed. Most of us sit on our rears behind computers and the energy required to do that is minimal. Still everyone is different and you need to find out what works for you. Your shooting for a calorie deficit either way. I think there are other benefits to fasting though like increased insulin sensitivity among others and not having to do a lot of meal prep. I don't even count cals. If I don't lose, I will just shorten my eating window so it works out. It has worked out so far (lost 40lbs) and I eat tell full every night.
  • binglebandit
    binglebandit Posts: 531 Member
    I do better without it. It's supposed to be healthy and jump start your metabolism but it just makes me wanna snack all day. Though I always start out with at least coffee in the morning. It'll be different for each person, but I'd still suggest making your earliest meal one that gives you energy and protein.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I love my breakfast, in fact, I eat several small ones which total about 500 cals.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I find not eating breakfast makes me ravenous at lunch and it's like I can never eat enough to catch up so I overeat.

So no to that. But it may have something to do with the fact if I don't eat breakfast it's 7 hrs between when I wake up and lunch. I also eat dinner around 6pm so we'd be talking about me not eating from 6pm until 1pm the next day if I skipped breakfast and that just doesn't work for me.
  • kmikecomer
    kmikecomer Posts: 2 Member
    for me, an old guy, its all about not noshing at night after dinner, rather waking up with my body telling me to eat and fuel up! Eat break----FAST thats exactly what it is...
  • LulaicaLoses
    LulaicaLoses Posts: 36 Member
    I have to eat breakfast, otherwise I'd only eat one meal a day (my job doesn't really work for me and lunch). It gets me going in the morning and through the day with small snacks between meals.

That being said, my fiance frequently skips breakfast or eats it late, which works for him. We frequently talk about the fact that I pop out of bed and get my breakfast going while he needs time to get going.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,756 Member
    I need to eat immediately after waking up...like within minutes.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,735 Member
    I am a creature of habit, and eating regular meals every day is one of my habits.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    skipping breakfast is ok, as long as you do not feel fatigued or light headed from doing so. However, I love breakfast. I like starting my day off with a healthy breakfast - it sort of sets the mood for my day. :) Some days I even have 2 breakfasts!
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    As an above poster mentioned, having proteins and fats for breakfast keep me really satisfied and off of junk food. If I eat carbs for breakfast I am barely satisfied and get overly hungry sooner.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,941 Member
    I eat breakfast only once a week (on Sunday). The rest of the time I skip it. I train fasted and then eat a good lunch. Also on those days, I eat up till 11:30pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I don't typically eat breakfast. Makes me feel hungrier the whole rest of the day. I will sometimes eat "breakfast" for lunch tho. On the rare occasions when I do feel hungry soon upon waking, I will have a few eggs. That breakfast is least likely to leave me hungry two hours later.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    I workout early in the morning, so definitely eat breakfast after that
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    I've recently quit eating breakfast so that I can have bigger meals later in the day. I don't find it has affected my energy or productivity in the mornings at all, so I am happier skipping it and my previous mid-morning snack. Makes me less hungry overall I'm finding.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    I hate eating breakfast, but at the same time, if I don't, I eat too much for the rest of the day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Everyone is different but personally I need breakfast to fuel my morning workout.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    I might be one of the only people who skips dinner instead of breakfast. For some reason, food does not appeal to me at night. But then I wake up ravenous in the morning so I pity the people that interfere with my breakfast time. :smiley:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    jenbeck18 wrote: »
    I hear so many different things how not eating breakfast makes you less hungry. Do you find this true anddo you eat breakfest?

Depends on you. Try it for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
    I do better eating a 200-300 calorie breakfast than eating nothing until later in the day.
    I skipped breakfast in my teens and 20's and got by but was often super tired by the afternoon.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    depends. if im at home, i tend to eat a really early lunch and dinner, so not usually (i get up between 3-4 am most days). so lunch for me, at 10, is most peoples lunchtime, if you go by how long ive been up. lol on those days i eat dinner early, too.

if im working, my lunch isnt till later, and ill have a small breakfast to get me through till 1 or so when i take my lunch. and dinner around 6 those days ( i go to bed super early - before 9 most of the time, and dont like to eat dinner too late)

• arya8
    arya8 Posts: 316 Member
    Gah, I need my breakfast first thing in the morning. Although, right now it's cereal which doesn't fill me up because I have a 4 month old so need something quick. I usually would have a protein pancake and that keeps me full most of the day so I don't snack. If I didn't have my breakfast I'd eat all day.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    I do eat breakfast now however I never did in the past in fact I didn't normally have a meal until 2-3 in the afternoon but then I didn't stop eating the rest of the day. mostly snacks then a big dinner. I think that added to my lack of success. Now I am eating 3 meals and 2 snacks.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    I do 16:8IF most days and usually don't start eating till 11am or noon.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    I've started eating breakfast at work at about 10am (wake up at about 6:30). I'm finding if I push back breakfast and lunch and I'm not getting that afternoon sluggish feeling before going home.
  • AutumnDancer26
    AutumnDancer26 Posts: 23 Member
    Breakfast is incredibly important to get your metabolism moving for the day, and is definitely not something to be overlooked. That being said, if you prefer to save your calories for later in the day, you don't need to eat calorie dense foods. Focus on protein. Think eggs and oatmeal. If you want, go carb free, that will keep up the fat burning cycle from your sleep (it stops when you eat your first carbs of the day). That being said, don't avoid carbs, just save them for later. Hope this helps!
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited January 2017
    I fall into different breakfast habits. The most common ways for me are either no breakfast at all or one that's a mix of high'ish fiber, protein, and fat.

From a weight management pov, the only way that badly messes me up is if I eat a high sugar and low fiber breakfast. If I eat that on an empty stomach first thing, then like clockwork I'm much hungrier the rest of the day than is normal for me. Fortunately my food preference is for savory and higher fiber foods anyway.

When I want to kill my appetite for the day, and sometimes I do, I'll deliberately eat a really high protein, low/no carb breakfast, like just beef. That suppresses my appetite so much for hours. Even the thought of food will turn my stomach until dinner time. I don't do that often, just when I want to have a low calorie day.

My fav breakfasts in terms of taste and the nice, steady energy supply they give me, plus the sated w/o stuffed feeling are those that are a decent mix of fiber, protein, and fat. If I eat breakfast, that's usually what I have.

Although I often fall into the habit of no breakfast, I prefer the way I feel with it. As long as I don't overdo it on the calories which makes me sluggish, I feel more energized during the day if I eat it.

I also find that for me it pretty much eliminates night time hunger, which makes it easier for me to intuitively eat the right amount of calories for my body. I like to do as much as I can to eat in a style that puts my appetite at or below my TDEE. I'm definitely not someone who likes to indefinitely calorie count, so being my ideal weight in the way that feels most effortless and enjoyable for me is eating in the ways I've learned do that for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2017
    The whole thing about breakfast is this -

Someone can have a 10pm snack then skip breakfast and have lunch at noon. That's 14 hours without eating.
    Someone can have dinner at 6pm and have breakfast at 8am - still 14 hours without eating.

So I really don't understand the whole 'must eat breakfast' thing. Naturally, you'll be less hungry for breakfast if you eat more/later at night. That's all there is to it.

I have breakfast when I'm hungry, whether it's 5am or 11am.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I do occasionally, though never early in the morning. I guess I occasionally do brunch rather than breakfast. But on most days I don't eat anything until around 2 pm

If I eat early in the morning I have to fight the urge to overeat all day for some reason.