ALWAYS CRAVE SWEET AFTER SAVOURY!

Options
Diet always seems to go well until after dinner/tea where i used to have a smoke ive now replaced it with something sweet struggle with a sweet tooth! Any ideas?!

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Plan out your day so that there are some calories left over for something sweet after dinner.

Otherwise, chewing sugarless gum or having sugar free mints after dinner can help. Possibly brushing your teeth after dinner, going for a walk, taking up a hobby that will keep your hands busy and mind occupied.... Having a cup of tea or coffee (if the caffeine doesn't disturb your sleep) can also be helpful (I employ that tactic frequently to avoid late night snacking).
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Remember, once you've gone on to your sweet, you can't go back to savoury.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=L8eh72REd_s

(Actually, I often just keep enough calorie allowance for a small pudding of fruit and ice cream / yogurt / custard)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every night after dinner, I look forward to it all day, I too need something sweet after savoury. I prelog my whole day every morning, including snacks/dessert.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I always want something sweet after some nice, savory food. In fact, I'm eating an apple as I type.

It doesn't have to be fruit though. There's nothing wrong with having a piece of chocolate, or a serving of ice cream (which is smaller than you might think) or a small cookie, as long as these fit into your calorie goal.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Do not deprive yourself of your craving. You have to save calories for the end of the day for that sweet treat. Are you into cooking? I love making cookies and brownies for my after-dinner deserts. I use less sugar and butter when baking them so they usually end up being between 130-150 calories per, which is perfect for me. :) And I make sure to save calories for it every night!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Yasso frozen yogurt pops mint chocolate chip
    Dannon yogurt with Kashi for crunch
    Salted caramel frozen protein shake with cocoa nibs & sea salt
    Quest cravings or keto bar
    Baked apples with cinnamon & brown sugar
    Oatmeal with almond butter & banana
    Cherries
    ........the list goes on and on
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Fruit, fresh or canned. A small piece of good chocolate or fudge. A cup of yogurt. A cookie/biscuit. A cup of cocoa. A 1/2 cup of ice cream. All the above are 100-150 calories, so just save some for dessert.

I always have dessert of some sort, usually a banana. If I have extra calories, I'll eat more.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I agree about saving calories for this, but I also think breaking the cycle helps too. It helps me when I over come the craving and I know that I'm stronger than a piece of chocolate or whatever... then after a few days either the feeling goes away or I leave room for it. Food shouldn't be in charge, we are :) good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    kimerfy wrote: »
    Diet always seems to go well until after dinner/tea where i used to have a smoke ive now replaced it with something sweet struggle with a sweet tooth! Any ideas?!

Have a 30 cal hard candy like a Werther's Original or something.

Drink a cup of rooibos chai tea.

Have a small yogurt or piece of fruit.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I try to save calories for a little dessert every night. If I don't manage to, I have some mint green tea which tastes a little sweet without any sugar and a small square of dark chocolate.

If I'm still craving something but know I've eaten plenty already, brushing my teeth sometimes helps.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I agree about saving calories for this, but I also think breaking the cycle helps too. It helps me when I over come the craving and I know that I'm stronger than a piece of chocolate or whatever... then after a few days either the feeling goes away or I leave room for it. Food shouldn't be in charge, we are :) good luck!

Yeah it's definitely a mental thing with me. I have come so accustomed to having something sweet after dinner it's become a habit that's hard to break. The ironic thing is that I've never been a dessert person, it's only the last few years that I've picked this up.
    Plus a good chunk of my protein comes from the sludge/fluff i make, over 60g.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Save enough calories for a small piece of good chocolate. I like a nice square of quality dark salted chocolate. So good and not that many calories. A good quality dark chocolate doesn't require a huge amount to satisfy my craving.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Yeah it's definitely a mental thing with me. I have come so accustomed to having something sweet after dinner it's become a habit that's hard to break. The ironic thing is that I've never been a dessert person, it's only the last few years that I've picked this up.
    Plus a good chunk of my protein comes from the sludge/fluff i make, over 60g.

I picked it up something like that with MFP, mostly, despite also not being a dessert person much before -- I used to eat sweet things at other times, but only after dinner on holidays. It originally helped me not eat stupidly at other times, because I looked forward to it, but I didn't want to expect it so that I felt sad if I lacked the calories, so I started intentionally mixing it up. I usually have something extra after dinner, but it is something not sweet like cheese or nuts sometimes, and when it's sweet it might be fruit. And I sometimes make sure to do the extra at some other time (like higher cal dinner) and skip the dessert.

It is an expectation, though -- I ate late tonight and had extra calories but wasn't hungry, but still I wanted the shake (protein powder, berries, some homemade cashew milk) I'd planned. I was proud of myself (LOL!) that I decided it was dumb to eat just because I had the calories when I really am not hungry at all. I can have the shake tomorrow.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1 serve of Mango Sorbet with 10g of ice magic does it for me. Chocolate hit and I don't feel deprived of icecream (because it disagrees with me but I love it). But like others, I plan for it every day. First entry into my diary in the morning - I'll even rearrange what I have for dinner so that I can fit it in or if I have a delicious dinner/late dinner planned, I can skip it once I've eaten dinner. Then I end up feeling virtuous for being 136 cals under without feeling like I'm missing out.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Save some calories and still enjoy that sweet something after dinner.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    For meits due to reactivate hypoglycaemia. A 15 cal glucose tablet usually does tbe trick for me.

Otherwise the more i ride it out and dobt give in, the less i experience the craving.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I like the sweet taste of something to rid the savoury taste after dinner.

my tricks - peppermint tea (tastes sweet), chamomile or green are also good.
    cognac or other liqueur (doesn't help the calorie thing but tastes good!)
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing with weight loss is not to make it harder for yourself than it need be. I like a dessert, but don't "crave" it, so I have one a few times a week.

If you do crave it, then make space for it within your calorie allowance. Research different sweet options - some (as detailed by other posters) can come in pretty low calorie, others can take up a huge proportion of your daily calories, and are more likely to cause you problems with staying within your allowance. Some desserts can provide decent nutrition as part of a balanced diet - fruit is often high in fibre and vitamins, dairy has protein, calcium and fat-soluble vitamins.

If you try to be super-strict and totally cut out the things you love, you are more likely to fall off the wagon.