"You would be STUNNING if you just lost some weight"

Options

Replies

• farroz
    farroz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I dont take to much offense to it. I know I am overweight and I know I looked better when I was thinner my facial features were more defined, clothes fit better and looked better on me. The funny thing about obesity you cant really hide it so why lie to yourself or others about your weight or goals. Everyone here wants to be healthy and thinner. Being thinner looks healthier and therfore is more attractive to people, including prospective mates. I dont mean to offend anyone but I too find people at a healthy weight more attractive. I think people can be overweight and still be beautiful but when you get obese then something needs to change, hence why I am here. I also think most people want those around them to be happy and many think being thin equates to happieness. Which may or may not be true. Lastly most of us on here who are overweight are unhealthy because we have made poor food and exercises choices and therefore can control are weight and when we dont that in itself is unattractive.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is that people seem to think women owe it to the general public to look a certain way. The people who say things like this are assuming that of COURSE one of your priorities is to be approved of for your looks, based on a pretty narrow standard of judgement, and they have a right to offer their take on your looks. I mean, hey, we are on a fitness website, but let's question the idea that it is our duty to be asthetically pleasing. People have great reasons to lose weight and take care of themselves. We all like being attractive, but I don't know why people feel like their opinion is asked for.
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Years ago, a boyfriend said to me "You'd have a great figure if you lost some weight." I was too kind to say to him "And you'd be handsome if only you'd have a face transplant."

hahah
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    thats such a mean thing to say. I really dont think I would ever say this to someone. Most of the time (dont kill me people) its men that say these kinds of things, or other dumb things because they just dont think about what they say before they say it.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    My favorite was "I'm so glad you're not in a huge rush to get married. Nobody likes a fat bride."

Wow...seriously? :noway: Some people have no boundaries...
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    It's a weird concept that talking about weight is so taboo given that it's a very publicly displayed concept.

Sugar coat it all you want, if you are fat, you are fat... You may be very nice, clever, funny, brilliant, that's great! But you are also fat. And physical attraction is very personal, usually not that rational, and it is very possible that someone can't get over this fact. At least they are being honest about what they feel and care enough about you to say it to you.

Rejoice in the fact that you can do something about it at least. Hey, you could be dumb, now that's harder to fix :p

People were calling the Olympic athletes fat. OLYMPIC ATHLETES. There's calling a spade a spade and then there's calling a spade a shovel because it doesn't fit into your ridiculously distorted view of size and "beauty". Plus, whether it's "publicly displayed" or not, your body is still YOUR body, and no one has the right to tell you what you should do with it unless you specifically ask them for advice.
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I hated hearing that when I was bigger. it made me want to punch anyone who said that. I would tell them that when I do lose weight, it would be to benefit my health. Who give a rats butt about being stunning? I'd rather be healthy.
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    wow basically me
  • lilsaph
    lilsaph Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :
    Umm yeah...lol we call those a "double bagger"

I see guys on this board, amazing bodies..and well the face doesn't match...he needs a bag over his head...poor fella. It goes both ways.

I call them prawns, keep the body lose the head :tongue:
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Was it a guy that said it? I'm sorry if you've already answered this.

When a guy says it, he usually means, "You're pretty now, but I'm only willing to date you if you're smaller. So hit me up when you've lost weight." Sad, but true.

Regardless of who said it....if they can't appreciate you NOW then they don't deserve to be in your life.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Yes ive been told this in the past...and now i say - screw you to the guys who said it...
  • leafstucker16
    leafstucker16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Your beautiful, don't ever let anyone make you think different
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ugh I have heard that MANY times! :mad: When I was 12 this lady (total stranger) stopped me in the street and said "You are such a pretty girl, you really should lose some weight" ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! I am 33 yrs old and I still remember that so clearly... I was devastated. I have plenty of other examples but you get the point:grumble: … Don’t worry, you are going to do this and then when you have reached your goal you can be an inspiration to others like you! You’re beautiful. Period. :heart:
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    Yeah, people are so mean sometimes. They should look good and hard in the mirror before they judge anyone!
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Response: "You would be so NICE if you'd just stop talking"

or, "Wow, did you just say that out loud? You must be so embarrassed!"
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I have said that before...but not in that way. Don't worry I do not discriminate woman on their size. I enjoy woman of all sizes and shapes. But I have said this about a bigger girl before "She is absolutely gorgeous, I could just imagine if she lost some more weight how ridiculous amazing she would look". I have also said this about a thinner girl " Wow she is absolutely beautiful if she was a bit fuller she would look even hotter".

But its all on personal preference. I wouldn't recommend changing yourself for anybody. Just be yourself and who cares what others think.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to accept that fact that you're overweight in what is generally a thin-centric society. For most people, over weight isn't attractive.
  • paperducks
    Options
    I will never understand why many people go out of their way to be so mean.
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to accept that fact that you're overweight in what is generally a thin-centric society. For most people, over weight isn't attractive.

Or it could just be that people need to learn manners and not have diarrhea of the mouth
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    "You would be STUNNING if you straightened your hair' - hairdresser
    "You would be STUNNING if you had this shade of red lipstick on" - cosmetologist
    "You would be STUNNING if you wore this racer-back camisole over your lace tank top" - Stylist

I think everyone says that. It is no big deal. I think if you are sensitive about something in particular, like your weight for example, then yes, one could find this hurtful. But I believe they are trying to give a compliment. Not trying to be spiteful.