VENT.

Options
So I am really pissed because I now understand why I gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks. A product implied that 2 slices contained 65 calories. I was quite impressed and loved that product and so I was eating quite a lot of it. Recently they changed their label and wrote that in fact , one slice contains 65 calories not 2. So basically I was eating double the calories . This is just to warn you guys to be aware of labels as they can be deceiving. As for me , I am back to being on a calorie deficit I guess! :(

Replies

• Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yep, this happens quite a bit. Especially with bottled drinks or individually packaged foods. The label will say "80 cals/ serving!" But if you don't know what a serving is, you could be consuming much more.

There's a 20oz bottle of lemonade in the break room. The label notes 100cals/serving. But, there are "approximately" 2.5 servings in the bottle. If you're not reading the full label, you might not realize you're consuming 250cals instead of 100. And that doesn't even take into account that the label itself is allowed to be off by 20% and still meet guidelines (probably not that much for a liquid, but still possible.) So that bottle of lemonade could be nearly 300cals.

I've noticed a lot of bigger name brands are now starting to put on the front of the packaging how many total calories are in the package. Not sure if that's new guidelines being followed or consumer complaints though.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what product? did you read what the label said, or infer based on what you perceive a normal serving size to be (i.e. most people consider 2 slices of bread normal, but most labels only give calories for 1)

there is a new law that requires food labeling to be not only a serving size, but what an average person would assume a serving size to be
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    active562 wrote: »
    So I am really pissed because I now understand why I gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks. A product implied that 2 slices contained 65 calories. I was quite impressed and loved that product and so I was eating quite a lot of it. Recently they changed their label and wrote that in fact , one slice contains 65 calories not 2. So basically I was eating double the calories . This is just to warn you guys to be aware of labels as they can be deceiving. As for me , I am back to being on a calorie deficit I guess! :(

You ate 17,500 calories of this product? That's a lot of bread...

That's what I thought. I love bread but oh my
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    you probably didn't read it closely. most breads do a serving size for 1. if you mut do bread try a lower calorie one. the one i have is 40 cals a slice and its just as good as any main bread
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would fully expect bread to quote per slice, myself. That is the lowest unit in the package.

Also, gross error check - 65 calories is already quite a low calorie count per slice, compared to the average bread.

But I would check before logging, not after.
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can't edit my post to add picture but here's the bread I bought

fwe9t0tulgof.png
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Haha thanks for making me realize that ! It is impossible ! So maybe its a little weight gain and some water retention :) but still it made me quite angry!
  • active562
    Options
    you probably didn't read it closely. most breads do a serving size for 1. if you mut do bread try a lower calorie one. the one i have is 40 cals a slice and its just as good as any main bread

Trust me , I read it closely more than once ! I read it again because of the new package and they changed it from 1 to 2 !
  • active562
    Options
    I would fully expect bread to quote per slice, myself. That is the lowest unit in the package.

Also, gross error check - 65 calories is already quite a low calorie count per slice, compared to the average bread.

But I would check before logging, not after.

Thats why I ate a lot of it ! Cause I was like '' BREAD ? ONLY 65 CALORIES PER 2 SLICE ? '' and obviously I liked the idea !
  • active562
    Options

Doing the math that's 538 slices of bread in 2 weeks. (each slice was 32.5 calories more than you thought, gaining 5 lbs means eating 17,500 calories more than you thought, 17,500/32.5 = 538.46)

That is 38.5 slices of bread a day (roughly 2 full loafs), every day, for 2 weeks. I'm guessing you didn't really eat that much so the weight gain isn't JUST from the mislabeling. If you did eat that much of it you should probably try to eat a little more variety.

I agree that mislabeling is very annoying though.

I've been eating the bread for more than 2 weeks but during these 2 weeks , i ate a lot more of it and also gained weight . But yeah , it does sound impossible , you are right ! But still , my point is thag mislabeling sucks !
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    i'll ask again - what product were you eating? I want to see what the label says - both old and new if i can find
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Yep...it sucks. This is why I weigh almost everything that I eat.

And I am pretty sure that we didn't gain 5lbs of fat in 2 weeks.
  • active562
    Options
    i'll ask again - what product were you eating? I want to see what the label says - both old and new if i can find

I dont feel comfortable naming the brand , especially since I do not have proof of what the old label said :/
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    but that is where google-fu comes in handy - PM me the brand if you want - i'm curious
  • active562
    Options

Doing the math that's 538 slices of bread in 2 weeks. (each slice was 32.5 calories more than you thought, gaining 5 lbs means eating 17,500 calories more than you thought, 17,500/32.5 = 538.46)

That is 38.5 slices of bread a day (roughly 2 full loafs), every day, for 2 weeks. I'm guessing you didn't really eat that much so the weight gain isn't JUST from the mislabeling. If you did eat that much of it you should probably try to eat a little more variety.

I agree that mislabeling is very annoying though.

I've been eating the bread for more than 2 weeks but during these 2 weeks , i ate a lot more of it and also gained weight . But yeah , it does sound impossible , you are right ! But still , my point is thag mislabeling sucks !

I agree with what the posters above are saying; however, it's most likely that you have been making similar mistakes with other products as well, and realizing this issue with the bread will help you to avoid similar logging errors in the future. So no, you didn't eat 17,500 calories of the bread in those 2 weeks, but you may have been underestimating your intake of other foods as well, so it's good that you realized what was happening. :smile:

Most of that 5 lbs is likely to be water weight, though. Our weight fluctuates naturally on a daily basis, so I wouldn't stress too much.

I doubt it. Im very strict with my calories ! Its not my fault but theirs , because they mislabbeled it. But yes , you are right :) I wont stress to much either :) will probably eat in a slight deficit for a week or 2 and thats it :)