Fries!

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My husband will sometimes cube a potato, parboil it, coat it in a bit of olive oil, and then finish it in the toaster oven with whatever spices strike his fancy.

They aren't fries, but they're very good.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sounds like OP doesn't want to "fit some fries in" and has asked for alternatives. I get that MFP is hardline "eat everything if it fits" but sometimes people want to make different choices some days.

OP I don't even think sweet potato fries would be that much less calorific. Are oven fries better maybe? I bet supermarket freezer ones still have added fats but could you bake up your own potato fries? The hot from the oven and the salt might do the trick.

OP didn't ask for alternatives directly nor is your assumption of them not wanting to fit some in, correct. But keep on inferring.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    So I have been craving French fries like crazy but they have a lot of calories and just not healthy. I'm not a fan of sweet potato fries. Any suggestions?
    If they are baked, then you can lessen the calories. But they aren't "unhealthy".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    You're right we should just have a bot that answers "eat it if it fits in your calories" and save everyone a lot of time.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    You're right we should just have a bot that answers "eat it if it fits in your calories" and save everyone a lot of time.

Yup.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Sounds like OP doesn't want to "fit some fries in" and has asked for alternatives. I get that MFP is hardline "eat everything if it fits" but sometimes people want to make different choices some days.

OP I don't even think sweet potato fries would be that much less calorific. Are oven fries better maybe? I bet supermarket freezer ones still have added fats but could you bake up your own potato fries? The hot from the oven and the salt might do the trick.
    Actually the OP's thought is that they are "unhealthy" which isn't true and why they are possibly looking for an alternative.
    There are ways to make fries less calorie dense, but I don't think people need to cut out food they like. They just need to figure out how they can sensibly add them in to their current diet regimen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Check online menus for the calorie content of an order of fries (maybe pick the place with the lowest number), and eat them if they work into your allotted calories. Maybe do a longer workout to make them fit into allotment and have them as a reward. Starchy stuff like that - I tend to crave more when I eat it and lack self control, so buying more than 1 serving (say at a grocery store) wouldn't be an option for me, but might for you.

If you are possibly just craving something salty/crispy, the green bean suggestion above might work.
  • Carebear199125
    Carebear199125 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I love French fries and when I do want them bad I tend to over eat. I have tried fitting them in and I end up feeling guilty. I'm sorry for any issues I caused but the comment about green beans I'll try. I guess I'm just looking for a healthier version of something crunchy and salty.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So I have been craving French fries like crazy but they have a lot of calories and just not healthy. I'm not a fan of sweet potato fries. Any suggestions?

I loooove Culver's fries. Every other fast food joint - I can take it or leave it. So I only eat fries from time to time.

But more often I make my own "oven fries." I like using different seasonings + salt, that way I make them my own. Weber Veggie Grill seasoning is fab!
  • wowmanacat
    wowmanacat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Portion control is the biggest part for me. I have not cut anything out at all. I eat what I want but eat portions that work within my calories allotment for the day. I have days where I mess up but then the next day I work harder to be under to help. have the fries but weigh then out so that you are just having a portion and then bake them or as others have said try to get an air fryer, I am hoping that I might be able to get once soon so that I can have my favorite fried food that I really like to have like fries and fried green beans
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I love French fries and when I do want them bad I tend to over eat. I have tried fitting them in and I end up feeling guilty. I'm sorry for any issues I caused but the comment about green beans I'll try. I guess I'm just looking for a healthier version of something crunchy and salty.

why feel guilty for eating something that you enjoy if it fits into your calorie goals for the day? as a society, we have been so educated on certain foods being good or bad for us that its causes disordered relationships with food
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

This is disordered thinking. Food shouldn't make you feel guilty especially when you can fit it into your calorie goals.

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Garlic and Parm Baked fries-
    mix a clove of minced garlic, 1 T of Parmesan, chopped parsley and set aside.
    cut a russet potato into thin strips while preheating oven to 425 with a sheet tray in the oven.
    toss potato in or mist with oil, arrange in a single layer on the hot tray
    toss halfway through baking, around 18-25 minutes until golden and crispy
    sprinkle garlic Parm mix over fries when they come out of the oven

Also try -
    Broccoli or Cauliflower Tots
    Toasted Chickpeas
    Breaded asparagus or cauliflower

Not the same as the coveted French Fry, but they're pretty tasty and may help you put off the craving.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I may have misinterpreted the OP, but I thought she meant she feels guilty b/c when she tries to fit them in she ends up overeating them, so can't stick to her calorie goal.

You didn't cause any issues, OP - don't apologize.

Agreed. :)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    People sometimes want to learn and explore for themselves and not jump right to someone else's solution.

The beautiful thing about a forum like this is that one can be provided with a variety of solutions...also, for shame that people who've had a lot of success with this whole thing are offering up their ideas whether they are alternatives or not...many of us have learned that sometimes it's better to just have a little rather than go off the rails at some point because you just can't take it anymore...yeah, none of us have ever been there or done that...none.
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Alot of times I make my own fries, it has the same effect except it's not as much salt