Would you still workout, even if you didn't feel up to it?

Options
2»

Replies

• FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    If I was just feeling lazy or tired, I'd push myself to do it because I usually feel better afterward.

If actually sick where it hurts to breathe or I'm about to vomit, I give it a rest and let myself get well.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It depends.. if the body just won't go, no I do not exercise, its telling me I am tired or something.

If I am just having a lull day, usually excising can help with that.

Flat out sick as a dog, I let my body rest, do not want to stress it out even more when trying to fight something off.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, unless sick. If I worked out only when I felt like it, I wouldn't work out very often. Habit, not feelings.
    I always feel better afterwards and almost always can do more than I thought, even when tired from poor sleep.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Well I went to my class today with a wicked stomach ache and ended up leaving early. Now I'm in bed waiting for it to pass one way or another. I tried.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yes. The anxiety I feel from skipping a workout is way worse than the feeling of "not being up to it". My workouts have been taking almost 3 hours lately too. Sometimes I'll cut it short, but I always complete what I missed on another day.

If I'm puking I won't go. One time I got a black eye on the way to the gym and I still tried to squat.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Probably yeah. I get sinus infections a lot and they can put me on my *kitten*, but I'd at least try to take a good walk if I was actually sick. No matter how meh it feels getting started, I generally feel better at least for a little while after the exertion.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i usually go if i just don't feel into it. i kind of play it by ear if i'm not feeling like i'm up to it. but more than half the time, the ones i don't feel like doing are really good ones.

not if you're sick. if you're actually sick then ime it just makes you sicker. plus, you waste a workout :wink:
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Some of my best lifting days, hitting PRs, were days that I just wasn't feeling it until I was warmed up.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Get in, warm up and the chances are you'll "feel it". A missed workout is a missed opportunity to better yourself mentally and physically.
  • LulaicaLoses
    LulaicaLoses Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It depends what my "not up to it" is. If I'm just feeling 'meh. I'm a slug' then I'll push to get out since my workout will usually improve how I'm feeling. If it's because I didn't sleep well or am feeling more under the weather than something minor, I'll take a rest day, take a soak, do some stretching, and pick it back up the next day.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For sure ! I had ZERO desire to
    Go to my fitness class yesterday but I still went... felt better after. But like others have said, if I were sore, sick, had other priorities (ie. meeting, important event etc) id reorganize
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    A quote from my running group newsletter this week: "Regular people train when they feel like it. Champions train when they don't." The choice is up to you really.